2012 Mustang GT Ford Racing Performance Tune - Worth it? - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
It would be nice to have more feedbacks from the ones who have this on their Mustang..., anyone else wanna share their thoughts?
I know it's an old thread........

I have the Ford Racing tune on my 2012. The car runs like a beast with it, throttle response is great, and I love the fact the skipshift is gone. I had the dealer install it and they said they have no problem with it affecting my warranty. (the service manager has a 5.0)My problem now is traction, I need new wheels with some real rubber. Even with the traction control on I just roast them in first and second.
My last car was a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 tuned with a bunch of bolt ons and the 5.0 would murder it.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

It is a good tune. Conservative? Probably. Effective? Yes. Great throttle response, pulls clean to the elevated redline of 7k with no tricks, decent top end power and a very healthy dose of low end torque. Like the above poster, I have no traction with this tune. Here is a video. This is just a roll on to demonstrate the exhaust. No clutch slipping, no tricks..I just rolled into the power. It was warm yesterday when I made this, so the tires actually hooked. If it had been cold, it would have been twice as bad all the way through 3rd. Pro-Cal, Pypes X-pipe, GT500s and UMI LCA relocation brackets...3.31 gears still.

Mike

mbreinin's Channel - YouTube

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
It is a good tune. Conservative? Probably. Effective? Yes. Great throttle response, pulls clean to the elevated redline of 7k with no tricks, decent top end power and a very healthy dose of low end torque. Like the above poster, I have no traction with this tune. Here is a video. This is just a roll on to demonstrate the exhaust. No clutch slipping, no tricks..I just rolled into the power. It was warm yesterday when I made this, so the tires actually hooked. If it had been cold, it would have been twice as bad all the way through 3rd. Pro-Cal, Pypes X-pipe, GT500s and UMI LCA relocation brackets...3.31 gears still.

Mike

mbreinin's Channel - YouTube
How do you like the Pypes X pipe? I am considering either that or just getting the 3'' cat to axle back....

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
How do you like the Pypes X pipe? I am considering either that or just getting the 3'' cat to axle back....
It is very nice. And, it is very affordable. $125 online. If you do it, you either need to:

1. Weld it to the existing exhaust;
2. Upgrade to 3 inch all the way, so you can clamp it; or
3. Get a 3 inch to 2 3/4 inch clamp.

I did not know that there was a clamp that would mate 3 inch to 2 3/4, so I had my guy weld it. He actually told me about the clamp. I have considered upgrading to 3 inch exhaust so that I can cut the weld and clamp it all together.

Sound wise, it mellowed out the exhaust. Before, with the stock H, it was louder, more choppy and had more pops on deceleration. It was the perfect volume before...now it is a little too quiet.

Mike

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
GT Member

Iv'e had mine for a few weeks now for my auto and was a little disappointed at first but it has grown on me. Definite power increase you can feel throughout the power-band along with more throttle response, and goes quicker from a roll when passing cars. I noticed it runs even better when cold out (under 50F).
My biggest complaint is the shifts still aren't firm enough (still wont chirp second).

I still want more though along with keeping my warranty at the same time so probably getting some gears next. I want 3.73's but I have a lot of highway on my daily commute so I'll probably end up with 3.55's?
You can of course calibrate the speedo with the procal.
An aftermarket tune would be better for sure but if I'm going to risk my warranty It'll be with a blower.

In the end you can't go wrong since it's better than factory while keeping your warranty.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I have the Brenspeed 94 tune on my GT and they also diasbled the skip shift. I am happy with my choice.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
It would be nice to have more feedbacks from the ones who have this on their Mustang..., anyone else wanna share their thoughts?
I absolutely love it. Purchased in the form of the Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pkg as an accessory when I ordered the car. The GT500 mufflers sound awesome and are perfect, for me.

After researching, my potential warranty concerns were substantially eased.

Throttle response is greatly improved and the car pulls harder throughout, expecially down low. I've got 275/40ZR18 Pirelli PZero Nero's on the rear 10" OE Style wheels from American Muscle and it'll now bust loose easily in 2nd at lower rpm.

Note that I drive the car for ~ 4 months w/the stock tune and put over 12K miles on it in that time, while waiting on CARB approval for the ProCal. And I've experienced no pinging.

Don't remember who it was, but several months ago someone on here said they had 4 different canned tunes and that for drivability and seat of pants feel, this was his favorite.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
Iv'e had mine for a few weeks now for my auto and was a little disappointed at first but it has grown on me. Definite power increase you can feel throughout the power-band along with more throttle response, and goes quicker from a roll when passing cars. I noticed it runs even better when cold out (under 50F).
My biggest complaint is the shifts still aren't firm enough (still wont chirp second).
Does it seem to be notably stronger between 2000and 4000rpm? I'd like improved performance too for my 6A daily-driver, but I only put 6500 miles a year on my car. So, I too am hesitant to risk my warranty but don't want to wait until my warranty is out to tune the car. This is on my Spring to-do list and I'm trying to decide to play it safe and go with the FRPP tune, or give Bama or VMP a shot and take my chances.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium, Auto, Comfort, Rear View Camera (10/5/2010)
Mods: GT500 AxleBacks, more to come...
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeez11 View Post
I have the Brenspeed 94 tune on my GT and they also diasbled the skip shift. I am happy with my choice.
That is cool. However, what does that have to do with the ProCal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrper99 View Post
Does it seem to be notably stronger between 2000and 4000rpm? I'd like improved performance too for my 6A daily-driver, but I only put 6500 miles a year on my car. So, I too am hesitant to risk my warranty but don't want to wait until my warranty is out to tune the car. This is on my Spring to-do list and I'm trying to decide to play it safe and go with the FRPP tune, or give Bama or VMP a shot and take my chances.
It is stronger in that RPM range. This tune makes a huge difference in torque under the curve, i.e. below your torque peak. I thought the car felt soft until it eclipsed 4500 rpm, now it feels strong from idle. It will easily light up the tires on a 25 mph roll in second, with 3.31 gears.

Have a dealer install the tune, your warranty will be protected. For the record, FRPP engineers have engines with over 200,000 miles running this tune and they have had no issues.

I finally heard a little ping, toward the upper end of 4th gear. I may have to enable the octane adjust. I also need to get an oil seperator since it could very easily just be some oil getting sucked into the manifold and lighting off under WOT long gear pulls.

Mike

Mike

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrper99 View Post
Definitely stronger in that range. Feels like stock above 6k.
I think people with the manuals are noticing more of a dramatic difference for some reason.
Just try it. Your warranty is fine with this tune. You can't go wrong.
This tune combined with 3.55's or 3.73's would be a great combo to increase the much need low end grunt feel the 5.0 lacks all while keeping your warranty.
Firmer shifts would make this tune perfect.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Frpp

I Have a 2011 FRPP tune. So I would like to give a caution.

This tune improved my car's throttle response and low end torque. But that is it.

If you are gonna race, don't waste the money on it. If you drive it every day, it will make it more fun.

For me, it was a fun upgrade. Not sure if the car is faster, but I can feel it pull harder/quicker at lower speed/RPM levels.

Not a tune for a racer, but if you were a little disappointed with lower end torque when you bought your car like I was, it will fix that.

I will say this. At lower speeds, I can burn those tires off now!!!!

****Note for commuters like me******

My gas mileage did not change at all, unless I was messing around. If you drive with this tune reasonably, it will not change gas mileage. So don't worry about that.

2011 black C/S. Stickers are gone, 5.0 badge in place. Flowmaster cat back Pro Series/Hushpower exhaust that comes with the worst drone in history! FRPP tuner. Drop in K&N filter. Auto Tans I sit in traffic a lot. HID/security package. 3.55 rear end.
Apprentice

If you live in CA, the Ford Racing tune is what you're left with... Needless to say, I've heard good reviews from folks in CA who had no other option. They've told me that the low end torque gain is noticeable, and that the acceleration is much more fluid. Mine will be here soon, and will be "installed" by the dealer next week... I'll report back!

-- A Tribute to Ridiculous Signatures -- 2011 Mustang GT -- Performance White -- Charcoal Black Leather -- Borla S-Type Exhaust -- FRPP Boss Gauge Pod -- Boss Steering Wheel -- V6PP 19" Rims -- Sh!t Ton of Wheel Locks -- Viper Paging Alarm -- Baseball Bat -- GT500 Splash Guards -- :hihi:
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I Have a 2011 FRPP tune. So I would like to give a caution.

This tune improved my car's throttle response and low end torque. But that is it.

If you are gonna race, don't waste the money on it. If you drive it every day, it will make it more fun.

For me, it was a fun upgrade. Not sure if the car is faster, but I can feel it pull harder/quicker at lower speed/RPM levels.

Not a tune for a racer, but if you were a little disappointed with lower end torque when you bought your car like I was, it will fix that.

I will say this. At lower speeds, I can burn those tires off now!!!!

****Note for commuters like me******

My gas mileage did not change at all, unless I was messing around. If you drive with this tune reasonably, it will not change gas mileage. So don't worry about that.
+ 2 MPG HWY @ 80 MPH cruising for me. Added bonus to a safe option.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
Apprentice

As I don't (or will very rarely) track my car, I'm strongly considering this tune. My car is my DD and if the FRPP tune ups the fun factor while helping me keep peace of mind, I'm all for it.

Is adding a CAI ok with this tune? I know it's designed to work with a K&N drop in, but people seem to have really good gains (15-20 hp) with open element (which I've always been skeptical about) type filters.

Thanks again for responses!
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucolic View Post
As I don't (or will very rarely) track my car, I'm strongly considering this tune. My car is my DD and if the FRPP tune ups the fun factor while helping me keep peace of mind, I'm all for it.

Is adding a CAI ok with this tune? I know it's designed to work with a K&N drop in, but people seem to have really good gains (15-20 hp) with open element (which I've always been skeptical about) type filters.

Thanks again for responses!
CAI is for looks, unless you get one with a larger maf diameter and get a Bama tune it's not worth it.
My car is my dd as well and I'm really happy with the Ford Racing tune. It definitely gave it a bit more umph, and the throttle response is a lot better. Getting rid of the stupid skip shift is nice as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page