2012 Mustang GT Ford Racing Performance Tune - Worth it? - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
 
FirstFord94's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 946
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
I know it's an old thread........

I have the Ford Racing tune on my 2012. The car runs like a beast with it, throttle response is great, and I love the fact the skipshift is gone. I had the dealer install it and they said they have no problem with it affecting my warranty. (the service manager has a 5.0)My problem now is traction, I need new wheels with some real rubber. Even with the traction control on I just roast them in first and second.
My last car was a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 tuned with a bunch of bolt ons and the 5.0 would murder it.
So am I correct in thinking that the only power mod you have for the car is the tune?

I haven't thought all that closely about getting a tune to be honest, but I'm not against it either. I see that you have philly as where you're from. I live in the KOP/Devon area and would love to get a ride in your car if at all possible to just to get a feel for what it's like. My experience with software tuning has been pretty poor with regard to power/$$$, at least in NA cars. So I'd love to see if things have gotten better with the coyote.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you go through for the software? I bought my car at Springfield, but to be honest, I don't know where I'll be taking it for service, since the car has been awesome and has run 100% since I got it and Springfield is a little far for me.

FirstFord94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
ridenfish39's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 433
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94 View Post
So am I correct in thinking that the only power mod you have for the car is the tune?

I haven't thought all that closely about getting a tune to be honest, but I'm not against it either. I see that you have philly as where you're from. I live in the KOP/Devon area and would love to get a ride in your car if at all possible to just to get a feel for what it's like. My experience with software tuning has been pretty poor with regard to power/$$$, at least in NA cars. So I'd love to see if things have gotten better with the coyote.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you go through for the software? I bought my car at Springfield, but to be honest, I don't know where I'll be taking it for service, since the car has been awesome and has run 100% since I got it and Springfield is a little far for me.
I had it done where I bought it, at Fred Bean's in Doylestown. The service manager there has a Mustang and seemed really cool.
The only other mod I have is the Hushpower axle back, I don't think the panel filter does anything but it came with the tuner so they put it in.

On another forum there is a thread about the FR Tuner, everyone seems to be happy with it for what it is. One guy did before and after track testing and picked up good gains with it. Extra torque down low + drag radials will always get better times, torque gets you off the line.

After the holiday madness is over I would be glad to meet up with you somewhere in the Philly area on a weekend. You could even drive it if you want........unless you look like a serial killer when I meet you.


2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come


Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
ridenfish39 is offline  
PONY Member
 
FirstFord94's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 946
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
I had it done where I bought it, at Fred Bean's in Doylestown. The service manager there has a Mustang and seemed really cool.
The only other mod I have is the Hushpower axle back, I don't think the panel filter does anything but it came with the tuner so they put it in.
Fred Beans--cool, I bought a GTI from Beans VW several years ago and liked their service department. Doylestown might be a little far to go, but it's nice to know there's a good dealer somewhere in the area if I have a problem at a closer dealer. So did you do everything through the dealer or did you buy the tune yourself online and bring it to them to have it installed?

Quote:
On another forum there is a thread about the FR Tuner, everyone seems to be happy with it for what it is. One guy did before and after track testing and picked up good gains with it. Extra torque down low + drag radials will always get better times, torque gets you off the line.
I don't expect miracles as I really think there is only so much you can do with a tune on a NA car, but if there are any measurable gains, it sounds like it might be worth looking into. I guess the seat of the pants feel is really what's most important to me at this point. I did a before and after dyno on a NA car where it was bone stock in the morning and a couple of hours later it had a K&N panel filter, software, and a cat back. The car picked up like 13 hp (which I suppose wasn't bad on a car making 178 hp to begin with), but I really didn't feel much of a difference. And all of those things together probably cost me a grand, including the dyno pulls.

Quote:
After the holiday madness is over I would be glad to meet up with you somewhere in the Philly area on a weekend. You could even drive it if you want........unless you look like a serial killer when I meet you.
So I guess I need to shave off my beard! I'll PM you after the holiday craziness to see if we can work something out.
FirstFord94 is offline  
 
Californicajun
Guest
 
Californicajun's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post

After the holiday madness is over I would be glad to meet up with you somewhere in the Philly area on a weekend. You could even drive it if you want........unless you look like a serial killer when I meet you.

I have been reading these posts about the Ford Racing Tune for about an hour now trying to gain more insight before getting it. Everything was going well and quiet until I bust out at your serial killer comment. That **** was funny, but true. LOL.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
ridenfish39's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 433
 
Hey FirstFord, Ihad the dealer order the tuner and do it. I know its a really easy thing to do but they said if they did it my warranty is good.
Pm me sometime after New Years and we can figure out somewhere to meet. Saturday or Sunday afternoons work for me.
Have a great holiday man ....

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come


Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
ridenfish39 is offline  
PONY Member
 
MBreinin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 785
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL;[URL="tel:2851114"
2851114[/URL]]]

f you are gonna race, don't waste the money on it. If you drive it every day, it will make it more fun.

Not a tune for a racer, but if you were a little disappointed with lower end torque when you bought your car like I was, it will fix that.
I think it really depends on your objectives at the track. If your objectives are to constantly make changes to the engine in search of ET, you are correct. If you want a solid tune that you can work with for fun at the track, you are incorrect. On the Corral there is a member who went from a best of 12.7 @112 to a 12.0 at 116 with nothing more than adding the Pro-Cal. He has DRs, a shifter and an axle back, nothing more. So, I see it as a good way to get into the 11's, or certainly on the cusp, while still being a safe tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucolic;[URL="tel:2851285"
2851285[/URL]]As I don't (or will very rarely) track my car, I'm strongly considering this tune. My car is my DD and if the FRPP tune ups the fun factor while helping me keep peace of mind, I'm all for it.

Is adding a CAI ok with this tune? I know it's designed to work with a K&N drop in, but people seem to have really good gains (15-20 hp) with open element (which I've always been skeptical about) type filters.

Thanks again for responses!
I know a member on SVTperformance ran his with the Roush CAI and had no problems. I think if it is a CAI designed to run without a tune, it will be ok. I don't know if there is any gain with a Roush or Airraid over the K&N though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord94;[URL="tel:2851378"
2851378[/URL]]
I don't expect miracles as I really think there is only so much you can do with a tune on a NA car, but if there are any measurable gains, it sounds like it might be worth looking into. I guess the seat of the pants feel is really what's most important to me at this point.
You will 100% feel a seat of the pants difference. You will also enjoy massive loss of traction. This tune is a tire shredder. LOL.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
MBreinin is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
You will 100% feel a seat of the pants difference. You will also enjoy massive loss of traction. This tune is a tire shredder.
This seems to be the case with the auto but I didn't notice much of a difference as far as SOTP in my auto. I almost wonder if the tune loaded sometimes
It does not peel out anymore than stock or chirp second gear with the Procal tune.


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
PONY Member
 
MBreinin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 785
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben;[URL="tel:2852821"
2852821[/URL]]This seems to be the case with the auto but I didn't notice much of a difference as far as SOTP in my auto. I almost wonder if the tune loaded sometimes
It does not peel out anymore than stock or chirp second gear with the Procal tune.
I have an MT6 with 3.31s. I really needed a low end boost with those gears. The Pro-Cal came through in spades. I have heard from others as well that it is not as noticeable in an auto car as a manual.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
MBreinin is offline  
Apprentice
 
DKJR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 210
 
I wonder what it'd feel like with 3.73's and an M6. I wonder if it'd even be worth it with stock tires.
DKJR is offline  
Apprentice
 
Zenyatta's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: chatsworth
Posts: 237
 
Id like to know that aswell. I can already run the clutch a bit and burn 2nd from a roll (if i wanted to) so if this tune makes it much worse that will eliminate ALL wet weather driving lol. I also have the 3.73s.

2012 Race red, 6mt, 3.73s, Roush ABs :shiny:, Bbk Xpipe, Resonator Deletes, Eibach Pro Kit, J&m adj panhard, steeda intake bama tune, AM shifter, Saleen Replica wheels and Nitto tars!
Zenyatta is offline  
PONY Member
 
MBreinin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 785
 
I can blow the tires out on a second gear roll with the Pro-Cal and 3.31s. I was going to add 3.73 gears to the car, but I am beginning to question the basis for doing so. I already have extremely limited traction on all but the newest and most recently paved road surfaces. And, I have a Brembo car with stickier tires as well as LCA relocation brackets to assist with traction. If it is cold outside, the Pirellis are even more useless, and I have blown them out in 3rd.

I will say this, when these rears are shot (which should be at about the 10,000 mile mark with the way I am going), I am going up to the biggest tire I can fit on these wheels.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
MBreinin is offline  
Apprentice
 
DKJR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 210
 
I might be in the same boat with you Mike, however I just bought my car in November and I need to let the pirelli's get some warm weather before I make my final decision. It seems others on the forum have swapped these out and have good luck with their new tires.
DKJR is offline  
PONY Member
 
Morcla's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Corona
Posts: 282
 
I have the kit in my trunk. I have not had time to get it installed yet but I will report back. It's getting done on Tuesday at my Ford dealer. I have 3.73's and a 6MT.

2012 Mustang 5.0 - 2002 Focus ZTW - 2012 Kia Soul - 1969 Mustang GT
Morcla is offline  
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
HEISMANHERSCHEL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Springtown
Posts: 10
 
[QUOTE=MBreinin;2852473]I think it really depends on your objectives at the track. If your objectives are to constantly make changes to the engine in search of ET, you are correct. If you want a solid tune that you can work with for fun at the track, you are incorrect. On the Corral there is a member who went from a best of 12.7 @112 to a 12.0 at 116 with nothing more than adding the Pro-Cal. He has DRs, a shifter and an axle back, nothing more. So, I see it as a good way to get into the 11's, or certainly on the cusp, while still being a safe tune.


Ok, this is probably said better than my original post. This is more along the lines of what I was trying to say. And I think that if I had better tires, the Pro Cal would have made a much bigger difference. As I said, this car will shred the tires with this tuner. But I didn't get better tires.

For the price, I think it is a good purchase. As someone else said, if it is all about the driving experience, it works. I just don't think it would make a big difference if you were looking for quarter mile times.

I say just get it. I have it and have not gone back to the original tune. It is cheap, and does make a difference.

2011 black C/S. Stickers are gone, 5.0 badge in place. Flowmaster cat back Pro Series/Hushpower exhaust that comes with the worst drone in history! FRPP tuner. Drop in K&N filter. Auto Tans I sit in traffic a lot. HID/security package. 3.55 rear end.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline  
Rookie
 
fatsurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Stanton
Posts: 20
 
I have the FRRP tune on my 11, improved the driveability big time. Can really feel the low torque even below 1500.

But I question anyone who says this tune shaved .7 off an et and added 4 mph in the 1/4. Although it has been a long time since I drag raced those type of gains are hugh and this tune is not that capable.

I like it but am realistic.

By all means get the kit with the AC and Muffs their great.
//Greg


// Greg 11 GT, Brembo, any color as long as it is black
fatsurf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1