2012 Mustang GT Ford Racing Performance Tune - Worth it? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsurf;[URL="tel:2855130"
2855130[/URL]]
But I question anyone who says this tune shaved .7 off an et and added 4 mph in the 1/4. Although it has been a long time since I drag raced those type of gains are hugh and this tune is not that capable.

//Greg
I only report what I read. I was not there to watch his car. Here is what he said:

Quote:
Ok track results from Houston using a ProCal kit (included K&N filter) and adding J&M lower control arms. The car also has a Flowmaster Hushpower axle back, barton shifter with bracket, and 10" wide factory style OEM 18" wheels with Nitto 555 drag radials (305/40/18). Car is a 300A base GT, 6M, with 3.73 gears.... running 93 octane gas and weighted 3790 with driver.

Before ProCal and lca's best run was 12.70 at 111 with a 1.95 60'.

Day 1 - Great air, temp at 70 degrees, and track was sticky... ran 12.23 @ 115.84, 12.13 @ 115.84, and ending up with a 12.03 @ 116.1... 60' on the first two runs were 1.8's and the last run was 1.77.

Day 2 - More humid and temp in mid 70's... ran 12.26 and 12.23 both at 115.5..with 1.8 60' times.

Day 3 - Very humid and in the low 80's.... 60's foot times went way...(mostly driver error).. ran 12.44 and 12.52 at 114.5 with a 60' times in the mid 1.9's....

So the ProCal definitely works. The car was easier to drive out of the hole on the drag radials because all of the new low end torque and pulled much stronger right up to the red-line with no stupid computer tricks.

If you plan on doing alot of engine or exhaust mods then the ProCal really isn't for you... I am making the hp I want so now I am going turn my attention to getting it to the ground consistently with new drag wheels and tires and some more suspension work.
He went back later and broke the spider gears launching the car. I would say the serious belt of low end really helps these cars where they are weakest.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
Is the FRPP tune even officially released for 2012 Mustangs?
I just ordered one on my 2012 and it won't work. Ford racing is looking into it.

2012 Mustang 5.0 - 2002 Focus ZTW - 2012 Kia Soul - 1969 Mustang GT
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morcla View Post
I just ordered one on my 2012 and it won't work. Ford racing is looking into it.
I have it on my 2012.......

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.

GT Member

Quote:
What do you mean by doesn't work?
What is happening?

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Apprentice

Quote:
What? Just got mine from FRAcing today. Will have it installed by dealer Saturday morning, sure hope it works.

Will post results.

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
PONY Member

Mine is a 2012, works fine.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
GT Member

Anyone else here have the FRPP tune for their automatic?
I usually mostly see manuals with this tune.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Apprentice

Review of Ford Racing Tune:

My dealer installed my tune today and treated me fairly. They only charged me $45 to install the tune even though they had a bit of trouble and it took a few tries before it took.

As background for my comments, it was a great day here - sunny and in the mid-sixties so great day to experience changes in the way the tune works. I know most of what I'm about to say has been said before, and I'm sure many other tunes would out perform the power delivery of this tune, so you don't need to tell me how much happier I would be with X brand

First impression - change is immediately noticeable. In fact, I'm glad I recently upgraded from my stock tires/rims to a set of take-off Brembos. These tires have much more grip than my previous combo, but the tune will break them loose from a roll.

Torque is substantially stronger in the lower RPM range. I could roll off at 5 MPH and tires would break loose at times. The character of the low RPM performance is much improved as throttle response is instant with no lag as before. I suspect this tune will have a two fold impact on 0-60 and qtr mile times. The low RPM torque really gets the car moving from low speeds much more forcefully now. I suspect the best performance will be a just off idle launch vs several thousand RPM launch as before. This will make the car much more consistent for launching from a stop. Seems like it would also be better on the powertrain.

Performance while shifting is also dramatically enhanced. The strange fluctuations in power between shifts has been eliminated. Power delivery seems much stronger immediately as the next gear is engaged.

The power is consistent through the RPM range with a strong buildup as the RPM increases. Gone is the sense of a power adder or secondary cam lift at 4,500 rpm - just smooth power from idle to redline.

And of course the skip shift has been eliminated - it didn't really bug me that much, but I'm surprised by how much more I like the car without it

Throttle response and power delivery is now very consistent under all different situations (which it wasn't stock for me). It simply goes every time you hit the accelerator.

Overall, for the price and the fact that it keeps my warranty intact (dealer fully supports the tune) I couldn't be more satisfied. I would highly recommend it to anyone as the first mod when the car is purchased. Ford did a great job with this tune.

My two cents - if you are on the fence do it, you will not regret it.

Dave

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
What do you mean by doesn't work?
What is happening?
Sorry for the late reply. My tune was ordered through Tousley Ford. My PCM part number does not match anything Ford racing has in their data base so I ordered the common one they said to get after running my VIN#. Upon taking it to my local Ford dealer, they got an error saying incorrect software and the tune wont install. I reported this to Ford Racing and they blamed it on a previous tune. My car is brand new right off the truck so that's not it. After explaining this to them they finally said they would talk to an engineer. He's on vacation though until next week so I have no clue as to what will happen. My manufacture date is Mid November...to all you 2012 owners out there who has a working Pro-Cal tune....any cars made after November 2011? I think Ford made a software change in November, that's my theory.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post2849077

Rookie

I haven't seen any reference to this yet, but does the ProCal tuner allow you to adjust for changes in tire sizes or rear end gears?
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karls View Post
I haven't seen any reference to this yet, but does the ProCal tuner allow you to adjust for changes in tire sizes or rear end gears?
Yes. Its very easy to do also.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Apprentice

I see all the positive reviews on these especially about the low end torque increase. However when you have a company like bama who seems to be able to do an even better job... sure makes you think. I really like being able to keep at least a 3/36 warranty though.
Rookie

Thanks, that is a deciding factor for me, looks like this'll be my next purchase
PONY Member

I finally got the tune installed 2 days ago. Ford racing had to send me another tune for my car and It installed just fine. Defiantly noticed the increased torque and throttle response, The car is more enjoyable now, seems better all around. I also got the GT500 axle backs. Plus no warranty issues, you cant beat that. Is it worth it to keep the tuner? I see Ford racing is buying them back for $75. What can I do with it now that the tune is installed?

PONY Member

Quote:
What can I do with it now that the tune is installed?
I don't have one, but I'm pretty sure you can use to adjust for any changes in tire size or axle ratio. Also, it may (or may not) have diagnostic features... anyone know if it can read OBD2 codes?

Also, if you sell it back, then there is no easy way to reflash the stock tune, if for some reason you needed to.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page