2012 Mustang GT Ford Racing Performance Tune - Worth it? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I wouldn't sell it back. It does everything a code scanner does as far as reading and clearing codes, KOEO and KOER tests, etc. You can also use it to adjust tire revs/mile, axle ratio, octane adjust, crankshaft position sensor relearn, and return to the factory calibration.

I'm one of the people who has issues with the Ford Racing tune, so I'm glad I have the ability to change the octane adjust setting and/or return to the factory calibration if I need to.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
On the Corral there is a member who went from a best of 12.7 @112 to a 12.0 at 116 with nothing more than adding the Pro-Cal. He has DRs, a shifter and an axle back, nothing more. So, I see it as a good way to get into the 11's, or certainly on the cusp, while still being a safe tune.

You will 100% feel a seat of the pants difference. You will also enjoy massive loss of traction. This tune is a tire shredder. LOL.

Mike
Great feedback right there, still considering this... Anymore comments on that?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Great feedback right there, still considering this... Anymore comments on that?
I also saw it go 12.05 time and time again this weekend on an auto car. A forum friend from SVT has the ProCal on his auto and we were at the track this weekend.

I think the Pro-Cal has 11's in it, with a good track, air and a clean run.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-15 HBAR View Post
I wouldn't sell it back. It does everything a code scanner does as far as reading and clearing codes, KOEO and KOER tests, etc. You can also use it to adjust tire revs/mile, axle ratio, octane adjust, crankshaft position sensor relearn, and return to the factory calibration.

I'm one of the people who has issues with the Ford Racing tune, so I'm glad I have the ability to change the octane adjust setting and/or return to the factory calibration if I need to.
I'm glad I kept it. I just had the crankshaft position sensor engine light 2 days ago and the tuner cleared it right up after blipping the throttle a bunch of times.

2012 Mustang 5.0 - 2002 Focus ZTW - 2012 Kia Soul - 1969 Mustang GT
Rookie

Quote:
I also saw it go 12.05 time and time again this weekend on an auto car. A forum friend from SVT has the ProCal on his auto and we were at the track this weekend.

I think the Pro-Cal has 11's in it, with a good track, air and a clean run.

Mike
I was there with Mike also that weekend to see it first hand.

2012 Mustang Grabber Blue GT Premium, 400A Auto, HID, Electronics PKG, Comfort PKG, Remote Start, Super Snake Alcoa Rims, Nitto Tires, Custom Black Carbon fIber Stripes from Baudier Graphics of New Orleans, Cervini's Type 2 Chin Spoiler
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Do you know if that auto had gears? I wish the procal did not have the ping issue

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
Do you know if that auto had gears? I wish the procal did not have the ping issue
Mine has no ping

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
GT Member

Does anybody have a video of what the pinging sound sounds like.

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke985 View Post
Does anybody have a video of what the pinging sound sounds like.
If you don't know what pinging sounds like, it's sort of a light metallic rattle. I've heard people compare it to someone shaking a handful of pennies in a real tin can (like green beans or corn come in).

At first I thought who doesn't know what pinging sounds like, but then I remembered that no one should ever hear pinging on any modern car that's running correctly. It was a lot more common to hear it in much older vehicles that didn't have electronic engine management systems.

I will try to get a video, but not sure if the sound quality will be good enough on my phone. It's not always loud enough to be super obvious unless you know what you are listening for.

In fact, I suspect that the number of people who have the pinging is actually much higher, but a lot of folks just can't hear it with their radio on, windows down, teenager mufflers, ricer intakes, etc.

Ford Racing says it's there by design, so in theory everyone should hear it at least very briefly here and there. Or, maybe Ford Racing is just full of sheet.

Apprentice

Quote:
If you don't know what pinging sounds like, it's sort of a light metallic rattle. I've heard people compare it to someone shaking a handful of pennies in a real tin can (like green beans or corn come in).

At first I thought who doesn't know what pinging sounds like, but then I remembered that no one should ever hear pinging on any modern car that's running correctly. It was a lot more common to hear it in much older vehicles that didn't have electronic engine management systems.

I will try to get a video, but not sure if the sound quality will be good enough on my phone. It's not always loud enough to be super obvious unless you know what you are listening for.

In fact, I suspect that the number of people who have the pinging is actually much higher, but a lot of folks just can't hear it with their radio on, windows down, teenager mufflers, ricer intakes, etc.

Ford Racing says it's there by design, so in theory everyone should hear it at least very briefly here and there. Or, maybe Ford Racing is just full of sheet.
I would assume the latter.

Off topic real quick, do you happen to take hwy 9 north across old milton in the afternoon on your way home? I only ask because I have seen a mustang like yours every so often at that intersection.

2012 Mustang GT Sterling Gray Metallic 6spd

1992 Mustang GT 347 stroker - SOLD
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
Stock gears. He had an after-Cat X, Dynomax Race Bullet Catback and drag radials.

Quote:

I suspect you are quite correct. They don't hear it, or don't recognize it when they do. It got to the point where I would not go in to WOT with the Pro-Cal until I turned my radio down. I was always listening for the ping.

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yeah that's sad, by now Ford Racing still hasn't resolved the ping issue?
If they didn't have this problem I would have went for it, but this really holds me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
Mine has no ping
When did you get yours?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang50 View Post
I would assume the latter.

Off topic real quick, do you happen to take hwy 9 north across old milton in the afternoon on your way home? I only ask because I have seen a mustang like yours every so often at that intersection.
That was probably me. I live near Wills Park, so I'm often rippin around that part of town.

Gotta be careful though...all the cops seem to see me too, even though my car is totally stock unless I'm running the ProCal tune.

Apprentice

Quote:
Stock gears. He had an after-Cat X, Dynomax Race Bullet Catback and drag radials.

I suspect you are quite correct. They don't hear it, or don't recognize it when they do. It got to the point where I would not go in to WOT with the Pro-Cal until I turned my radio down. I was always listening for the ping.
Ha, that's me...paranoid that my #8 piston will be pulverized if I jump on it hard and it actually detonates. Kinda sucks the fun right out of sticking the spurs in it.

GT Member

Quote:

I dont think ive ever heard that on a car ,My 03' had a predator tune on it for over 100,000 miles and worst thing that happened i wanna say that may have been tune related was i had to replace the alternator at around 65000 miles , always ran 93 octane and syntech oil abd never heard a valve rattle so i really dont know , if you can capture it on video im sure alot of people who are considering this would thank you

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page