Joe Heck Racing Stainless Braided Clutch Line - Page 8 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Is this a decent upgrade for the boss?

2013 Boss Recaro seats and Torsen diff.

Sold 2011GT HRE P40SC 19" Staggered wheels / FRPP 525hp supercharger / Pirelli PZERO / Wilwood bbk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bernice1 View Post
Is this a decent upgrade for the boss?

It's all the same.

GT Member
S197 Member

Ordered mine today, I drove a 2011 GT a couple weeks ago and the clutch was easier than my V6, hoping to get an easier clutch pedal feel. My 07 GT was pretty stiff and my leg would hurt after stop and go traffic, the V6 is better, but like I said GT was even easier than my V6, so maybe this will help

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV

Grimace427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Ordered mine today, I drove a 2011 GT a couple weeks ago and the clutch was easier than my V6, hoping to get an easier clutch pedal feel. My 07 GT was pretty stiff and my leg would hurt after stop and go traffic, the V6 is better, but like I said GT was even easier than my V6, so maybe this will help

It does not affect the pedal pressure, it is mainly for improved feel and clutch response when shifting quickly.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
It does not affect the pedal pressure, it is mainly for improved feel and clutch response when shifting quickly.
Well, that will be nice to, speed shifting has been a slight issue, I ordered the the MGW shifter and some Redline MTL yesterday. I get a little nibble on the 1-2 when cold and some notchiness cold or warm, the notchiness feels like the shifter, but we shall see. All other gears are nice and smooth, so it makes me feel like it might be that plastic piece for the reverse lock out

2012 GT Premuim A/T Sterling Gray, Loaded, Tinted, Steeda 93 Tune, JLT Oil catch can, 12" MTX Sub, CHE LCA's, GT500's, Boss/CS Lower Fascia W/foglights.
2011 V6 M/T traded for 2012 GT
2007 GT M/T traded for CRV
GT Member

Finally got around to doing this , been sitting around for a month or so and thanks Grimace for the write up i ws able to complete this job in about 30 min start to finish with this guide. I dont have any issues with my transmission i was simply installing this to help with WOT shifting. I can say the play that i had in my clutch pedal after i removed the assist spring is gone after installing this and i really cant say shifting is better in normal driving because mine shifted great before. I went out and did a little spirited driving and no issues or lockouts when shifting at WOT. Seems to be a good addition so far

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Grimace427

Glad you are enjoying the clutch line! After you let the car sit overnight make sure to check the clutch pedal as you might need to bleed it just a touch more.
Rookie

I just installed mine yesterday. WOW, this makes a big difference. I did notice that after I bled the clutch and let it set for a while that the clutch pedal had a dead spot at the top. Not a big deal, I pumped it slowly for about 15-20 pumps, held it to the floor for about a minute, let off of it and the dead spot was gone.

I was getting on the Interstate today and there wasn't any traffic so I slowed down and went for full throttle 7500 RPM shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 power shifts and there was absolutely no synchro crunching or anything. I am blown away that this relatively simple modification could have such a drastic affect on the clutch. Thanks so much to JHR for their great customer service as well. Maybe you guys could include a small sticker or two in with the clutch line though, LOL.

***STEP TWO*** I am not attempting to change the JHR Instructions for this installation, but I found this addition to STEP TWO to be quite helpful.

UPON REMOVAL OF THE FACTORY CLUTCH LINE FROM THE FIREALL, IMMEDIATELY ATTACH THE JHR HIGH VOLUME CLUTCH LINE AND PLACE THE OPEN (TRANSMISSION END) OF THE JHR HIGH VOLUME CLUTCH LINE INTO A SUITABLE CONTAINER AND ORIENT THIS CONTAINER SO THAT THE BRAKE FLUID WILL TRAVEL THROUGH THE CLUTCH LINE AND INTO THE CONTAINER. (I.E. pLACE THE CONTAINER LOWER THAN THE FIREWALL END IN ORDER TO MINIMIZE BRAKE FLUID SPILLAGE ONTO PAINTED SURFACES.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

This kit comes with a bleeder to connect at the trans. I picked it up at AM but haven't had a chance to install it.

McLeod Hydraulic Clutch Bleeder Kit

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
rmswins

I installed the JHR Stainless Braided, High-Volume Clutch Line last Thursday. It took almost 30 minutes and a tablespoon of my tears to complete, but it was definitely worth it. Your own experience with this installation and resulting effects my be different from mine; modifying anything connected to the MT-82 transmission will shave second off your quarter mile times, improve your relationship with your in-laws, and increase your max bench press.

The Stainless Braided JHR clutch line is at the top. The plastic Ford OEM clutch line is at the bottom:

All the tools and extra materials used:

I jacketed the JHR clutch line with a Thermaflect brand heat reflecting sleeve and used micro-size stainless steel hose clamps to cinch off each end. I figured since the OEM clutch line had a heat reflecting sleeve, I should go maximum overkill and wrap the replacement line too:

The sleeve was purchased from Amazon and it was the perfect length. If you choose to follow this path, get the sleeve with the hook and loop seam. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to fight the closed seam over the end of the clutch line. A close-up of the sleeve I used (get the same size, but make sure to select the hook and loop seam):

I bled the clutch line by pumping the clutch pedal over 200 times. This was after I spent 30 minutes underneath the car, locked in mortal combat with the transmission and clutch line elbow; the clutch line connects near the top and to the side of the transmission. I was an idiot and tried to do it all by crawling underneath from behind the front tire. It wasn't until the 29 minute mark that I realized I couldn't get any leverage on the clutch line elbow unless I crawled underneath from the front of the car. After I moved positions, it was so easy I cried into a rag that was soaked in brake fluid.

Once the clutch was bled I took it for a test drive. The immediate difference was in the feel of clutch engagement. The clutch now has a very linear engagement feel and a more noticeable disengagement point. The OEM clutch had a more remote/removed feeling that made it feel as though the clutch plate was lagging behind the pedal.

Overall this was well worth the $60 MSRP.
Rookie

same as american muscle?

Is this line the same as the one American Muscle offers for about $60? I was looking at doing this mod myself and wondering if anyone tried dropping the exhaust on the drivers side and if so did it make make it easier. I have about 53k on my 10 gt500 and it is somewhat touchy going into 1st and reverse. Pumping the clutch does seem to help the issue. any info is appreciated. Thanks
SHELBY GT 350 Member

idk if it's the same but close enough I believe. I wouldn't drop the exhaust......however a reminder: DO NOT DROP THE CLIPS!!!!

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee350 View Post
Is this line the same as the one American Muscle offers for about $60? I was looking at doing this mod myself and wondering if anyone tried dropping the exhaust on the drivers side and if so did it make make it easier. I have about 53k on my 10 gt500 and it is somewhat touchy going into 1st and reverse. Pumping the clutch does seem to help the issue. any info is appreciated. Thanks
The CAT gets in the way, so with them out of the way you do have more room.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
Apprentice

I just found this thread and haven't read all the posts but here's my situation. My Son says I have a steel braided clutch line. I purchased my '12 GT with 10K miles and the prior owner installed many upgrades. I haven't inspected the line myself. My clutch pedal is more firm than my wife's 2011 GT. Is this a sign of a braided line?
Just to add to this, we removed the helper spring as we were getting clutch lag and the pedal became twice as firm as before so we put the helper spring back on.

Last edited by Deluxe; 06-01-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: cable to line.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Has your son seen the car? If he has I would trust him more than any of us who haven't. If that fails look for it yourself, it comes off the brake resevoir,

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page