Sync wont pick up iPod sometimes - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
Thank-you, Jaclyn, I have the same issue as fmhs...will a master reset also require re syncing the cell phone?
I can answer that.........Yes! You will also have to reload your phonebook.

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
I can answer that.........Yes! You will also have to reload your phonebook.
Oh well that would be a total PITA... someone at the dealership had to do that for me, I'd probably never get it hooked back up right on my own. Guess that rules out the reset option for me.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Apprentice

Have you tried upgrading to the newest build, 4.0.2? it may helo

Ordered: 2.21.12 VIN: 3.23.12 Build: 4.13.12 ETA: 4.22.12
2013 GT Premium. 6MT. Deep Impact Blue. Recaros, Nav, Track Pack, Reverse sensing, Backup Camera. Borla S-Type Axlebacks, WeatherTech floor mats, Ford Racing K Springs, BMR Adj. Panhard, Upper and lower billet grille.

12.10.2011 RIP: 2012 GT Prem, Kona Blue, 6M, 3.73's, reverse sensing package, premium wheels, Grabberpony Shift Knob, WeatherTech floor mats, BOSS valence and splitter, Saleen Grille, HID's, Roush Axlebacks.

GT Member

My 80gig iPod classic also has indexing issues. I think it worked once out of 50 times and it was pretty sweet... when it worked...

-2012 Grabber Blue GT 6M Premium w/ Brembos, Glass Roof, HID security pkg, Rear Camera, 401a, FRPP GT500 Axle-backs, Front Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, JHR bracket, Bondra clutch extension.
-1986 Mazda RX-7 GX - Fast Mirage 16" Wheels, Sumo Firenza 205/60R Tires, slotted brakes + performance pads. Otherwise factory stock.
-2008 Mazda Mazda3 GT Sport - Stock, 5MT.
-2004 Volvo XC90 T5 - Comfort pkg, safety pkg.
-1995 Infiniti G20 - Sold, Pioneer head unit, lighting mods, miss it dearly.
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Thanks I'll give this a shot as the issue is starting to happening more frequently. Once last week the car decided it wanted to be on AM and wouldn't budge... I couldn't wake it up with the USB or phone buttons either, no matter how many times I unplugged the device.
Did you try giving the voice command "USB?"

Please let me know how things are working after you try the Master Reset.

~Jaclyn

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Did you try giving the voice command "USB?"

Please let me know how things are working after you try the Master Reset.

~Jaclyn
Yes, when SYNC is not in the mood to play the response to giving the voice command "USB" is it tells me there is no device.

By playing around I did find out one way to get the iPod to work again... if I unplug the USB cord and turn the iPod off then plug it back in allowing SYNC to turn on the iPod communication is restored.

What I don't understand is why the car gets confused when it's turned off and back on again. A new symptom has developed, this week SYNC and the iPod stopped communicating as I was driving even. So far this had only been happening when I start the car after a series of short trips.

Good news on the phone at least, I used the phone button then navigated to the Bluetooth menu on the phone and was able to get the phone working again without all the complex set up stuff. For some reason the Bluetooth menu had turned itself off.

SYNC performed perfectly the first two months now it's become a bit high maintenance. I may try the reset but I have to psych myself up for it.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
Yes, when SYNC is not in the mood to play the response to giving the voice command "USB" is it tells me there is no device.

By playing around I did find out one way to get the iPod to work again... if I unplug the USB cord and turn the iPod off then plug it back in allowing SYNC to turn on the iPod communication is restored.

What I don't understand is why the car gets confused when it's turned off and back on again. A new symptom has developed, this week SYNC and the iPod stopped communicating as I was driving even. So far this had only been happening when I start the car after a series of short trips.

Good news on the phone at least, I used the phone button then navigated to the Bluetooth menu on the phone and was able to get the phone working again without all the complex set up stuff. For some reason the Bluetooth menu had turned itself off.

SYNC performed perfectly the first two months now it's become a bit high maintenance. I may try the reset but I have to psych myself up for it.
Man just give up and use the AUX input like me. It makes it so much less frustrating. I'm a 30 year old and I build computers and work on computers all day long, play with smart phones, etc and even I think that this stuff is getting ridiculous.

Even if the sync lady in my dash goes full retard on me, I know that it's still better than my wife's Audi. EVERYTHING is controlled via a computer screen display. Radio, AC/heating car info, everything. You have to practically navigate a maze of menus just to change the air when in my car, I simply reach down and turn the little knob.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing and I think that a lot of car manufactuers are overstepping this limit. BMW kicked it off with that idrive garbage and it seems like everyone else had to go and follow. Yeah I think that SOME technology is good (as long as it works) but some stuff needs to stay simple.

one thing that really does bug me and maybe Jaclyn you can fill me in on if it's possible or something I'm overlooking or not but if I'm playing music off the usb thumb drive. I tell it to play all and it starts playing. So far so good. I know I have several different albums on the drive in separate folders but maybe I forgot what all I've put on it so I want to scroll from one folder to the next. Is this not possible?

I know that the left and right arrows go through tracks but the up and down arrows don't do anything. I just sort of intuitively assumed that that the up and down arrows would jump from folder to folder but they do nothing.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Apprentice
S197 Member

Yep, best fix I found:

"Mine forgets the USB sometimes too. What I do, so I don't have to dig around in the console, I just push the sync button on the wheel and tell her USB or Play USB . Then she finds it."

2011 Mustang V-6 Premium Convertible, 5-11-2010. Paid $800 on 09-19-14 to replace hood with paint bubbles, traded car for a Chrysler later same day
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredponycar View Post
one thing that really does bug me and maybe Jaclyn you can fill me in on if it's possible or something I'm overlooking or not but if I'm playing music off the usb thumb drive. I tell it to play all and it starts playing. So far so good. I know I have several different albums on the drive in separate folders but maybe I forgot what all I've put on it so I want to scroll from one folder to the next. Is this not possible?
Yes, you can do this! To select different folders go through the following menu sequence:

MEDIA MENU > PLAY MENU > EXPLORE USB > "F" (for folder)

This should bring up the various folders on the USB.

Let me know if you have any questions!
~Jaclyn

GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Yes, you can do this! To select different folders go through the following menu sequence:

MEDIA MENU > PLAY MENU > EXPLORE USB > "F" (for folder)

This should bring up the various folders on the USB.

Let me know if you have any questions!
~Jaclyn
ok, first of all I appreciate the help but (and perhaps you understand where I'm coming from with this) but it's stuff like this that makes people hate Sync. Those up and down arrows that don't do anything would make life so much easier. I can't be hitting buttons and scrolling through menus while I'm driving. I want to hit 1 button and be at the next or previous album.

I cannot believe that the people who program Sync would overlook something as intuitive and quite frankly NECESSARY as this.

Sigh.. just one more reason I'll stick with the IPOD and AUX input.

If you have the ability to offer suggestions to any SYNC programmers/Engineers, having the up/down arrows scroll through the folders would be a pretty good idea.

This should also work for MP3 CD's.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoneY View Post
Hey Ford Tech so what is the max amount of data the Sync system can take? I have a 64gig flash drive, only have 32gigs of music on it but I'm about to fill it up with music. Will it have problems reading that much info? It reads 32gigs of music without a problem right now except it occasionally needs to index.
Anytime your iPod is updated SYNC will indexed your music to enable you to use voice commands.

The capacity is completely dependent on your music collection and the size of the metadata. Typically the system will hold 80-100 gigs. Some people have been able to index more than 15,000 songs! I don't think you should have a problem but let me know if anything comes up.

~Jaclyn

Rookie

Won't Sync iPod (again)

I too tried the Master Reset and all that did was force me to re-pair my phone (again).
Instead of pulling the fuse every time, couldn't you just disconnect the battery terminal?
It will probably dump all your car and radio settings but which is worse?
Contortionist or re-programmer?
Pete
Rookie

Update - Downloaded latest Sync update and the iPod syncs up again.
Apprentice

For me, Sync line in has never worked for me, ever on my phone. The bluetooth works just fine though.

2013 Mustang GT Premium, MT-82
Roush Axlebacks
Rookie

Hey FordIVTeam? I bought my car because of SYNC. Its been the biggest mistake ever. To the point I'm about to drop $1000 to have it all removed and install an aftermarket system that ACTUALLY works. Done the master reset multiple times. SYNC won't take the updates from the thumb drive. It's just plain JUNK.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page