Sync wont pick up iPod sometimes - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sync wont pick up iPod sometimes

I have a 3rd gen new iPod and sometimes SYNC will not pick up the USB port. I know the cord and the port are still good because when i plug the ipod in it starts to charge but t hen i push the voice button on the steering wheel and say USB and i get no USB device detected.. This happens on and off. It did it to me on my way to lunch, but would never pick itself up. Then i got in my car after a lunch break and the car synced itself right up. Any ideas? I have used the SYNC My iTunes program Ford recommends. I have used brand new USB cords, This is a less than 2 month old iPod. My old beat up iPod never gave me any issues in regards to not Syncing with the USB port.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium- 6-Spd/M 3.55, HID's
-- Steeda Intake - SCT Tuner w/ HPP Racing Custom Tune - Borla S-Type Axleback - Side Marker Tint - CDC front splitter - 3D Carbon GT500 Spoiler - 3D Carbon Taillight blackout panel - Roush Grill - 20x8.5-20x10 Black American Racing Torque Thrust M w/245-275 Nitto Invo-397 RWHP-377 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member

My iphone used to do this all the time, try plugging it in before you turn the key, solved the problem for me

2011 Ingot silver GT Premium , 6M, Brembos, HID, 3.73, Shaker 1000, Security package, Magnaflow competition series catback and off road xpipe and a Diablosport trinity canned tune... 391rwhp 362ft/lb
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My iPod is ocassionally unhappy if I have taken multiple trips (especially short trips) with the unit plugged in. Usually it just picks up right where it should but sometimes it thinks no USB device is there when I restart the car. I just unplug the cord at the USB port, wait a minute, then plug it back in. A PITA and not a real fix, but it gets you going again.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Your I pod may be locked. Check the little switch on the top of it. If it is in the red, click it over.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
my ipod has never worked. The ipod display screen says that this device is not compatible

WTF??? I have to run an aux cable from the headphone jack into the aux input to use the ipod.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 412horses View Post
My iPod is ocassionally unhappy if I have taken multiple trips (especially short trips) with the unit plugged in. Usually it just picks up right where it should but sometimes it thinks no USB device is there when I restart the car. I just unplug the cord at the USB port, wait a minute, then plug it back in. A PITA and not a real fix, but it gets you going again.
Mine forgets the USB sometimes too. What I do so I don't have to dig around in the console. I just push the sync button on the wheel and tell her USB or Play USB . Then she finds it.
Your milage may vary

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2011 GT Loaded (Brembo 3.73) Gone
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
Official Ford Rep

Hi everyone Thanks for all the helpful tips. I'm with the In-Vehicle Technology Team. I can assist with SYNC/Navigation related questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhscopeland View Post
I have a 3rd gen new iPod and sometimes SYNC will not pick up the USB port. I know the cord and the port are still good because when i plug the ipod in it starts to charge but t hen i push the voice button on the steering wheel and say USB and i get no USB device detected.. This happens on and off. It did it to me on my way to lunch, but would never pick itself up. Then i got in my car after a lunch break and the car synced itself right up. Any ideas? I have used the SYNC My iTunes program Ford recommends. I have used brand new USB cords, This is a less than 2 month old iPod. My old beat up iPod never gave me any issues in regards to not Syncing with the USB port.
fmhscopeland -

I'd recommend a Master Reset. This should help with the iPod being recognized.

Standard Radio:

Note: To scroll, press SEEK or the Up/Down arrows.

1. Press the Phone Button to enter the PHONE MENU.
2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.
3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS MENU.
4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.
5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display. Press OK.
6. SYNC will ask you to confirm the reset.
7. Press OK to confirm.

Navigation Radio:

1. Press the PHONE button on the radio.
2. Press the SETTINGS button.
3. Press the ADVANCED button.
4. Press the DOWN ARROW to pull up more options
5. Press the MASTER RESET button

412horses -

You might benefit from a Master Reset as well.

Fastredponycar -

Which type of iPod do you have?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
~Jaclyn

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hi everyone Thanks for all the helpful tips. I'm with the In-Vehicle Technology Team. I can assist with SYNC/Navigation related questions!

~Jaclyn
Wow, we've got a FoMoCo rep on here who specializes in Sync an other tech stuff? This is great!

2011 Mustang 5.0
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011
Apprentice

Garage
Maybe a master reset would work for me as well, will I have to resync my bluetooth?

The issue I have with my SYNC, is lately SYNC will come on and tell me that it could not finishing indexing my music, and that a new device has been discovered.

I've had the same iPod Touch connected since I got the car. Its only been the last few months that I've been hearing this message. Nothing has changed, hell my iPod hasn't been removed from the car in nearly 6 months.

2011 GT Prem - 400a, Brembo Pkg, 3.55s, 6spd
OLD 405rwhp/381rwtq - 12.71 @ 113.13mph, 2.099 60' on stock tires (DA corrected 12.3 @ 116mph)
Mods: Boss 302 bottom end, JPC Stage 1 heads, Boss 302 Manifold/Oil Cooler/Front Fascia/Rear Diffuser, Mishimoto Radiator, Spec Clutch/Flywheel, Airaid CAI, JBA Long Tubes, Pypes Super System, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI LCA/Relo Brackets/Panhard Bar, GT500 wheels/Nitto NT555 (255/45 F, 285/40 R), Barton Shifter/Bracket, SGII /w blendmount, V1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastredponycar View Post
my ipod has never worked. The ipod display screen says that this device is not compatible

WTF??? I have to run an aux cable from the headphone jack into the aux input to use the ipod.
Me too but my IPOD is pretty old and I have to use the aux and plug back there because it won't work if I plug into the USB at all. No big deal someday I will buy a new IPOD.

My phone won't sync very well and that frustrates me because its an Incredible less then 2 years old and should sync. A friend has a brand new Incredible 2 and it sync'd right up and stayed. Mine I have to use my phone but will go thru the car. But it always disconnects after being in the car 5 minutes. I re-sync it and then it will stay connected.

2011 Mustang Premium 400A GT....5.0 baby!!! 6 Speed Manual Transmission....no wimpy automatic for this chick! Black with Charcoal interior and all pink lights. Pink Ponies everywhere! Thats right I am a GIRL or woman, or female with a HOT and SEXY car!!

...and my car is a work of art....Art to the mechanics because they usually have it more then I DO!!! Not liking this car very much right now!
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Fastredponycar
Thanks for joining in to help us Jaclyn.

My iPod, according to the "about" section in the ipod menu, is model MA147LL version 1.2.1. The 60 gig version.

it's the 5th generation model.

2012 GT Premuim - Candy Metallic Red, MT82, Comfort package, Reverse Camera, Brembos and 3.73's.

Mods: JLT oil separator, Koni Sports, Steeda sport springs/HD strut mounts, GT500 Axleback, Air Raid CAI

373 RWHP / 356 TQ - Stock on 87 octane
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post

fmhscopeland -

I'd recommend a Master Reset. This should help with the iPod being recognized.

Standard Radio:

Note: To scroll, press SEEK or the Up/Down arrows.

1. Press the Phone Button to enter the PHONE MENU.
2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.
3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS MENU.
4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.
5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display. Press OK.
6. SYNC will ask you to confirm the reset.
7. Press OK to confirm.

Navigation Radio:

1. Press the PHONE button on the radio.
2. Press the SETTINGS button.
3. Press the ADVANCED button.
4. Press the DOWN ARROW to pull up more options
5. Press the MASTER RESET button

412horses -

You might benefit from a Master Reset as well.

Fastredponycar -

Which type of iPod do you have?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
~Jaclyn
Thanks I'll give this a shot as the issue is starting to happening more frequently. Once last week the car decided it wanted to be on AM and wouldn't budge... I couldn't wake it up with the USB or phone buttons either, no matter how many times I unplugged the device.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Wow, we've got a FoMoCo rep on here who specializes in Sync an other tech stuff? This is great!
Yes, SYNC/Navigation is my specialty! I'll be happy to help answer any questions you have.

~Jaclyn

FORD IN-VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY TEAM

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
PONY Member

Hey Ford Tech so what is the max amount of data the Sync system can take? I have a 64gig flash drive, only have 32gigs of music on it but I'm about to fill it up with music. Will it have problems reading that much info? It reads 32gigs of music without a problem right now except it occasionally needs to index.

2012 GT Black Premium 6MT, 20" Black Foose Nitrous Staggered.

MODS: Airaid CAI, 93 BAMA Performance Tune, Roush Axle-Backs, GT500 Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Steeda Black Shift Knob, Extra Chrome Trim, 3rd Brake Light Decal, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge w/ Roush Vent Pod, Valetine 1.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Thank-you, Jaclyn, I have the same issue as fmhs...will a master reset also require re syncing the cell phone?

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page