Oil Type vs Tick loudness - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

I never had the tick (knock on wood).

But... Amsoil 0W30 sure made the motor quieter.

2011 Mustang GT Premium 400A: Black/Black, Brembo Pack, Comfort Pack, 3.55s, 6 Speed MT, GT500/CS Rear diffuser & roost guards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grimace427

ASE and Mercedes Benz Master Certified tech here, my car did not tick on the original oil and does not tick with the Mobil 1 5w-20 I changed at 5,000 miles.

I am well experienced in ticking engines both from valvetrain and piston slap. Ticking noises are not normal if they can be heard with the hood shut. Fuel injectors make a light ticking noise when running and that is normal. Also the EVAP purge valve makes a somewhat louder ticking noise for a minute or two when it's opened.

post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post
ASE and Mercedes Benz Master Certified tech here, my car did not tick on the original oil and does not tick with the Mobil 1 5w-20 I changed at 5,000 miles.

I am well experienced in ticking engines both from valvetrain and piston slap. Ticking noises are not normal if they can be heard with the hood shut. Fuel injectors make a light ticking noise when running and that is normal. Also the EVAP purge valve makes a somewhat louder ticking noise for a minute or two when it's opened.
Great 411 Grimace, thanks for the post. Keep em coming folks.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace427 View Post

I'd like to hear your professional opinion about my post above where the truck owners with ticking had it go away when the dealership replaced the CPV . There's even a TSB out on it for the 6.2 gas engine .
Thanks .
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 5.0 View Post
I have factory fill Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend with 3800 miles and an INAUDIBLE tick. That is to say, there is no single engine noise that stands out above all other normal engine noises. Unless of course you pop the hood and stick your ear up against the valve cover. For reference, here is an example of a car that I would say has the tick:

‪2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick‬‏ - YouTube

My car is extremely quiet even at operating temp on 100 degree days. When the time comes for oil change I will definitely go Mobil 1 full synthetic, but may use 5W-30 for the extra long term protection.
Give it time, the tick will come on as the miles accumulate and the oil gets changed. Mine started about 3000 miles into my first oil change, approx 8000 miles on the odometer. Now at 17k miles, the ticket has not changed any for the worse or better.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
GT Member

Are there a lot of 2012 owners with the tick or are most of these issues coming from 2011 models? My 2012 doesn't have any tick although I'm still on the original oil.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
All I hear is the injectors and I think that's what a lot of people are calling their tic.
Does this sound like fuel injectors to you?

2011 Mustang 5.0
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Nope, not injectors, but that is the noise I've heard for the last 9k miles. Sound's like valve lash to me.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Accidental double post - sorry.

post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I know keeping a thread on issue in this forum is like asking a snake not to bite you. If you are going to post something irrelevant at least include your tick noise level and oil type. Thanks. Yes both 2011s and 2012 suffer from the tick.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post

No! That's not injectors and it's not the valve train either. If my car was doing that I would find the problem.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Rookie

I've had engines that tic before, and this is different. It doesn't sound like normal cam/valve train operation. Mine is inconsistent.

It started before any oil change and hasn't changed through two of them. First change was dealer-done, Motorcraft 5w-20. Second was done myself, swap to Mobil1 full-synth. Never any difference.

My tic only seems to happen after a warm startup. After some driving it goes away. When it does tic, it's not consistent with RPMs... Seems to come and go. It's not audible in car unless everything is shut off, but when driving near something that reflects sound it is plainly obvious and out of the ordinary.

I'm not convinced it's something super bad for the engine, but it sure is annoying, especially when the car looks so good and cost so much (relatively speaking) yet rolls up on someone sounding 10+ years old.

2011 GT 6MT
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Ok, just a fact gathering mission. It appears that every 5.0 has this ticking noise. Ford is telling folks it is normal, and I believe them. Some folks have it louder then others and some folks can't hardly hear it at all.

The various post about the "mystery additive" and the different posts about various oils got me to thinking. I think the loudness and frequency of the ticking is dependent on the type and brand of oil being used. Especially when you see the post of folks complaining about the tick and Ford shipping the mystery additive to the dealership. This mystery additive seem to quiet things down. Also, the tick seems to happen after oil changes.

Please post the oil brand and type that you are using and the loudness of your ticking. Please don't say you don't have the tick because that is not true. Every 5.0 has it to some degree. You probably don't hear it.

Ticking descriptions should be listed as: Very faint (can't hear it in the cabin), Slight tick (can hear it in the cabin very faint), Moderate (Hear it when driving by block walls and in drive through restaurants) and Very loud (Sounds like a drummer).

This information will can be very useful to the folks who have a very loud tick.
Hmmm...I have to say I don't hear anything yet, and I have almost 19,000 miles. I will try to listen wit the hood up tomorrow to see if I can hear anything. I am on my 4th round of fresh oil in the car. I used 6 quarts of pennzoil 5w20, and 2 quarts Mobil 1 5w20 to get the synthetic blend for 2 oil changes (at a much cheaper price), and 8 quarts of ford motorcraft synthetic blend for the other 2 fills (first fill from factory). I plan on switching the Mobil 1 for 2 quarts of Royal Purple next time around.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Black on Black, 6MT, 3.55 Gears, Security Package
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had a normal sounding engine prior to my first oil change. I put in Mobile One full synthetic 5W-20. Now I have a loud tick, which can be heard with the hood down. I am interested to see if there is a similarity between what is going on with the 6.2 and our engines.

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, 6 speed manual, Brembo Brakes, 401A, 3.73's, HID's, GT Accessory Package 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Still running the factory stuff at just over 2k miles.. Tick sound? I would call it moderately crappy..

Since I have got my car back from the dealer, who took 4 days to tell me it is normal.. I have been doing some experimenting... Mine for sure isn't consistent.. Yesterday after going for a drive...the engine was good and warm and it didn't tick at all..Thought the dealer did something sneaky.. Later on.... Started ticking again.. Sure seems abnormal to me..

This is something I picked up from the dealer... The more noise we make about the noise our engine makes( that means you must send a bitching to Ford or you have done nothing).. The better chance of a fix coming along... They won't fix nothing without a TSB on the issue... They don't know what to replace... Rather than replace a bunch of parts and get nowhere and not paid by Ford... They rather wait on Ford... So that is what we will have to do too..

Those with the tick...
Welcome to the ticked off tickers

Joshua
2011 GT Premium.
Free Timex option
perfect shifting Automatic
Candy Apple metallic
Tri bar pony badges all the way around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page