Oil Type vs Tick loudness - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
FordService

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
So, do forum members a solid and change out to this. If you're not due for an oil change, the worse case is you're out $50 for the oil/filter ($26 a jug at Walmart). Let us know if it worked

P.S. Deysha, if you're going to be part of this conversation, it would probably be fair to comment on whether these guys can use different oil weights without affecting their warranty. It's a much debated topic, so they would be putting their necks out here.
I truly understand the debate cidsamuth. However, in this specific situation, I can only advise you what it states in your Ownerís Manual for engine oil specifications and whatís recommended.

Deysha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
I truly understand the debate cidsamuth. However, in this specific situation, I can only advise you what it states in your Ownerís Manual for engine oil specifications and whatís recommended.

Deysha
Deysha,

Can you tell us what the "mystery additive" is?

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
PONY Member

I do not have an audible tick but like a few others, I am on the original fill. There is one other thing to consider if you think the tick has anything to do with oil thickness. Measuring the sustained viscosity would tell you what range say a 5W-30 oil was in. Some are thinner towards 5W-20 spec, while others are heavier closer to 5W-40 area. That information would be available in a used oil analysis.

I would be interested in seeing some UOAs of the factory fill and if I do not see one then I will have to send it off to Blackstone. That might be some assistance in identifying the additive if one does not pop up before mine is due. Building a thread with UOAs could help plenty of people make informed decisions on which oils makes the most sense.

2012 GT Premium 400A 6R80 Kona on Charcoal

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymax View Post
I do not have an audible tick but like a few others, I am on the original fill. There is one other thing to consider if you think the tick has anything to do with oil thickness. Measuring the sustained viscosity would tell you what range say a 5W-30 oil was in. Some are thinner towards 5W-20 spec, while others are heavier closer to 5W-40 area. That information would be available in a used oil analysis.

I would be interested in seeing some UOAs of the factory fill and if I do not see one then I will have to send it off to Blackstone. That might be some assistance in identifying the additive if one does not pop up before mine is due. Building a thread with UOAs could help plenty of people make informed decisions on which oils makes the most sense.
These are good points, and ideas.... anybody?

1967 GT
2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS
PONY Member

I have changed my oil twice, at about 8000 miles now. No "tick."

However, there have been times when I've had the car in a certain state, then backed into the garage with the top down and heard the motor be louder than usual, but if that is what it takes for me to hear it, then I am not concerned.

Last edited by kordasn; 07-18-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Garage
Rookie

I want to know what the heck this "mystery additive" is that got dumped into one guy's crankcase.

My guess is it's zinc in a suspension of oil. I would try putting high-zinc oil in my car, but that might void the warranty.

2011 Mustang 5.0
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Wonder the same thing. I have regular oil in my vehicle and have a very faint tick. (Hard to hear). Many of the folks that posted on other threads with standard oil (non-synthetic) have reported no tick or very faint as well. What are you using Nick?
Factory fill .If it keeps the tick away I'll leave it in till the day I sell the car .
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjostang View Post
Opened up a valve cover and found this.....
I laughed out loud when I read that. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number98 View Post
Don't really understand that sentence
By "do other members a solid" I meant help forum members out and change out the oil/filter as you describe to see if it helps . . . and report back.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think what needs to happen has been mentioned earlier. Each of us who has this issue needs to make it a point to report it directly to Ford. I believe that Deysha is a great resource to use, and that all of us should start with her. Every time we take our cars to the dealership, it is documented, and costing Ford money. I'm just not sure that this is enough. Do any of you think it would make a difference if we collectively wrote letters or articles to automotive publications like Car and Driver or Motortrend? It's been over a year since this problem has been around. I know Cidsamuth has had it for about that long. What do you guys think?

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, 6 speed manual, Brembo Brakes, 401A, 3.73's, HID's, GT Accessory Package 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rookie

My 2011 made a tick/knocking noise as early as I could remeber so I notified the dealer and they suggested I let it wear in a little and if it continued to make noise to bring it in around the first oil change.

First oil change, dealer was notified of an engine noise occurring between 2k-3k RPM's regardless of load or temp. Dealer unable to duplicate noise and vehicle classified as operating normally. Ford Corporate was notified of the issue at the same time.

Vehicle returned to dealer again a couple of thousand miles later with the same complaint of an engine tick/knock at the 2-3k RPM range. However, this time the dealer was able to consistently duplicate the problem. Timing chain/tensioners replaced, exhaust, various items checked. Ford engineer involved and noise eventually isolated to RH side, #1 cyl. according to the dealership. Waiting for further update from Ford.

The noise is exactly what is audible in the video below:
‪2011 Mustang GT 3000rpm rattle (under hood)‬‏ - YouTube

Keep in mind, the video is NOT my car. Anyone else hearing a similiar noise?

Update: There is a TBS for engine noise between 2k-3500 RPM's that is fixed via software. However, after what I have been dealing with I am very skepticle.

In addition to the engine noise, I have manual transmission issues:

Hard to get into R, 1, & 3; Grinding gears going into 2, 3, & 5 when cold (5th on occasion during the warm season); Clunking, banging when shifting especially at lower to medium vehicle speeds.

My concerns have been shared with Ford multiple times ranging from right after getting the car up until now.

I have always been a Ford buyer and would like for them to make good on this car otherwise they may lose me in the futurel.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick70 View Post
My 2011 made a tick/knocking noise as early as I could remeber so I notified the dealer and they suggested I let it wear in a little and if it continued to make noise to bring it in around the first oil change.

First oil change, dealer was notified of an engine noise occurring between 2k-3k RPM's regardless of load or temp. Dealer unable to duplicate noise and vehicle classified as operating normally. Ford Corporate was notified of the issue at the same time.

Vehicle returned to dealer again a couple of thousand miles later with the same complaint of an engine tick/knock at the 2-3k RPM range. However, this time the dealer was able to consistently duplicate the problem. Timing chain/tensioners replaced, exhaust, various items checked. Ford engineer involved and noise eventually isolated to RH side, #1 cyl. according to the dealership. Waiting for further update from Ford.

The noise is exactly what is audible in the video below:
‪2011 Mustang GT 3000rpm rattle (under hood)‬‏ - YouTube

Keep in mind, the video is NOT my car. Anyone else hearing a similiar noise?

Update: There is a TBS for engine noise between 2k-3500 RPM's that is fixed via software. However, after what I have been dealing with I am very skepticle.

In addition to the engine noise, I have manual transmission issues:

Hard to get into R, 1, & 3; Grinding gears going into 2, 3, & 5 when cold (5th on occasion during the warm season); Clunking, banging when shifting especially at lower to medium vehicle speeds.

My concerns have been shared with Ford multiple times ranging from right after getting the car up until now.

I have always been a Ford buyer and would like for them to make good on this car otherwise they may lose me in the futurel.
It didn't take long for the transmission police to show up.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Gang,

I know it is hard to keep on topic. Please only post your tick loudness and the oil you are using.

This thread is really not about your opinions.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Rookie

Right now, I have 4,930 miles. Changed the factory oil at 4,300 miles with the standard Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 and FL-500s filter. I have no tick at this point, or at least it's not loud enough that I can hear it without sticking my head under the hood.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium, Auto, Comfort, Rear View Camera (10/5/2010)
Mods: GT500 AxleBacks, more to come...
post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrper99 View Post
Right now, I have 4,930 miles. Changed the factory oil at 4,300 miles with the standard Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 and FL-500s filter. I have no tick at this point, or at least it's not loud enough that I can hear it without sticking my head under the hood.
:b igthumbsup:big thumbsup:bigth umbsup

PONY Member

Just crossed over 7,000 miles this morning. Changed to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5w-20 at 3,000 miles. I have no tick/knock/rattle at any rpm.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page