Oil Type vs Tick loudness - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member

17,300 miles, Ford 5w20 Synthetic Blend oil, Ford FL820 filter.

Oil changed when computer prompts, approx every 5000-miles.

Engine tick started around 8,000 miles, sound just like the video someone posted several posts back.

Sound level is about as loud as dropping a penny from 3-4 feet on concrete.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
All I hear is the injectors and I think that's what a lot of people are calling their tic.
I think you guys are exactly right. I'll be willing to bet that most of the people that are screaming about ticks, are actually hearing the sewing machine sounds of the injectors. 98% of those people have probably never owned a mustang and have no idea that this is what they sound like. My 09 GT500 ticked so loud from the injectors, I could hear it night and day when I was sitting next to a curb at idle. Its the nature of the beast. Im not saying that nobody has a legitimate head tick, but once that bandwagon leaves the platform, then tons of people jump on and its runs out of control. Its injector tick/

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_One View Post
I think you guys are exactly right.
Lots of cars have injector tick. My 2008 EVO X had louder injector tick than the Coyote. The videos people have made sound nothing like injector tick and you would have to be a car complete car noob to confuse the two. I'm sure there maybe one or two people that wouldn't know any better but it's pretty ignorant to assume that the majority of posters here are idiots that can't tell simple injector tick from engine knock. Almost as bad as people telling the people with transmission problems that it's because they don't know how to drive a manual.

Rookie

Quote:
I think you guys are exactly right. I'll be willing to bet that most of the people that are screaming about ticks, are actually hearing the sewing machine sounds of the injectors. 98% of those people have probably never owned a mustang and have no idea that this is what they sound like. My 09 GT500 ticked so loud from the injectors, I could hear it night and day when I was sitting next to a curb at idle. Its the nature of the beast. Im not saying that nobody has a legitimate head tick, but once that bandwagon leaves the platform, then tons of people jump on and its runs out of control. Its injector tick/
Have you even listened to the video I posted? Does that sound like injectors to you?

Now quit cluttering up this thread with ignorant posts assuming that "98%" of the noise is injectors.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

2011 Mustang 5.0
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Update...my car now has Motorcraft 5W-20 sythetic blend and a Motorcraft filter (as changed out by the dealer...they drained my Mobile 1) and it is still ticking and still at the dealership. Tick is still audible at a loud level.

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, 6 speed manual, Brembo Brakes, 401A, 3.73's, HID's, GT Accessory Package 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT Member

Quote:
Before criticizing, how about reading the entire thread to see if your argument has already been made. Post #34, please.

And, as Sky Render mentioned, did you bother to listen to the "ignitor" tick video? If you think that's injectors, you need your head examined.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Naske View Post
Update...my car now has Motorcraft 5W-20 sythetic blend and a Motorcraft filter (as changed out by the dealer...they drained my Mobile 1) and it is still ticking and still at the dealership. Tick is still audible at a loud level.
Does your tick go up and down with the rpm ?
post #68 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Again, this thread is not for debate. Just post your tick loudness and oil type.

You can dazzle us with your brilliance and argue with each other on a different thread.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
GT Member

Uh, sure. Because you command it.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Again, this thread is not for debate. Just post your tick loudness and oil type.

You can dazzle us with your brilliance and argue with each other on a different thread.
You're funny.

2011 Mustang 5.0
post #71 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Uh, sure. Because you command it.
Ok, I give up. Hijack away......

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Apprentice

When car was new had no tick.
I changed my oil at 3k with pennzoil platinum 5w30,still have
no tick at 7k.

GT perf. white 401A
Secr.pkg,comf.pkg,3.55
GT500 A/Bs,Roush billet grill,GT/CS facia w/fogs,oil catch can,
hood struts,Kappa Infinity6829s.Body color side skirts & rear
valance,STEEDA,sports,adj.GT 500 mounts, upper & lower control arms,bumpsteer kit,x11 ball joints,panhard bar,KONI yellows,Omega Godspeed wheels staggered,295/30/20 rear, 255/35/20'front.
Rookie

Tick

My tick started at the 1st oil change and is only louder after the 2nd oil change. Both changes used an FL500 filter and 5W20 QSPX Ford oil.
Tick sounds just like jweems video. I currently have about 11500 miles on it.

1st dealer said, at Ford hotline's prompting, that the noise is a normal characteristic for this engine. No repairs attempted.
2nd dealer replaced the belt tensioner, noise was still there when I came back to pick it up. They kept it and this time swapped out a pulley and told me it was fixed. Went by yesterday to pick it up and the noise is still there. Service manager told me that Ford considers this normal for this engine. Going to get the 3rd repair attempt out of the way soon.
Apprentice

Did not have tick before I did 1st change at 2500 kms With Royal Purple. Still do not have tick and am about to change oil again at 7500 kms. The royal Purple did smooth things out a bit though. My motor sounds like my 07 GT and my 09 Challenger RT.
Banned

You guys are all crazy. Just kiddin. You are right I didnt listen to the video. Now that I did its totally not the injectors. But I can tell you that my base GT I had that was made in 12/10 did this same thing when cold. And when it heated up after a few miles it went away.

Now, my new 11 GT/CS that was made in 7/10 did NOT do this from the dealership floor......................................UNTIL the TSB for the ac bouncing idle/hard to start reflash was done. Now it does this too when cold and goes away. Its appears it is tied to the TIVCT somehow, and that the TSB tune from ford also messed with the TIVCT timing somehow.

I thought there was something wrong with my first GT. But when I went to the new GT and it didnt have it I no longer cared. Then since I had that TSB done to the new GT with an older build date and now it DOES do it I am compelled to think its normal. Keep in mind that my older GT would have had that newer ford TSB tune on it from the factory because it was made way outside of that TSB date which I think cut off at 8/2010. Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page