Oil Type vs Tick loudness - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I don't have the "tick" either, but apparently even if you don't hear the tick you have the tick. Make sense of that. I don't hear a bird noise going "Caoo kaaa!" either so my engine must be making that noise too.

If you google it you can find some videos of what the tick sounds like. Its bad. I feel for anybody who has it. I hope it doesn't happen to my car. Fingers are crossed.

Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCoyote View Post
I don't have the "tick" either, but apparently even if you don't hear the tick you have the tick. Make sense of that. I don't hear a bird noise going "Caoo kaaa!" either so my engine must be making that noise too.

If you google it you can find some videos of what the tick sounds like. Its bad. I feel for anybody who has it. I hope it doesn't happen to my car. Fingers are crossed.
That is great, no tick at all. What oil are you using?

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 Nick View Post
Does your tick go up and down with the rpm ?
Yes it does. It ticks inconsistently at idle at gets consistent while in gear and under load up to about 1800 RPM.

Black 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, 6 speed manual, Brembo Brakes, 401A, 3.73's, HID's, GT Accessory Package 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT Member

Jiggy, thanks for having an open mind about reconsidering.

However, the ignitor tick is something that only comes on when the car is hot -- the hotter, the better. If your symptoms are only when cold, it is something else.

There were many folks complaining about a cold engine "piston slap" sound. It is much worse when the ambient temp is low, so not too many have complained about that recently. We should start reading those complaints again in October/November. Although, some can even hear it when warm outside (before the motor warms up).

Gt Style -- I just realized I hijacked the thread again. Would it help if I threw out an oil brand?
post #80 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsamuth View Post
Gt Style -- I just realized I hijacked the thread again. Would it help if I threw out an oil brand?
Dont worry about it. I am giving up on even trying. It is obvious the members of this forum (including myself) have the focus of a teenage girl. Mod, can you please just rename this thread to, "My engine ticks" LOL.....

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Rookie

I am more than willing to try a synthetic blend next time I do an oil change, but that won't be for a couple months. (Unless someone wants to send me 8 quarts of synthetic-blend oil!) :kooky:

2011 Mustang 5.0
GT Member

I was thinking of going with a 0W20 synthetic for the winter but am a little worried that it may cause the tick. Does anyone have any experience using 0W20 or 0W30 on these cars?
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I was thinking of going with a 0W20 synthetic for the winter but am a little worried that it may cause the tick. Does anyone have any experience using 0W20 or 0W30 on these cars?
There is absolutely no reason to use 0-weight oil. Use 5W-20 or 5W-30.

2011 Mustang 5.0
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number98 View Post
I had a technician at a Ford dealership tell me that he used a Purolator filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 in his personal car and his tick all but went away.???
I didn't have the tick until I replaced the factory fill with Pennzoil Platinum 5-20 and a Puralator Pure One filter. Though it's intermittent, it's there more often than not.

As far as what's causing the tick, I'm with the OP. Here's what I wrote in the tick sticky at the top of the page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nite
This IS a normal characteristic of the engine, when there's no mystery lube added (whatever it is they added to cidsamuth's engine).

Ford added the mystery to the first fill, knowing that no one would drive a brand new car off the lot if they heard that noise; not even if Ford assured them that it was normal.

That explains everything that I've read here, including the fact that some have had the tick since new (maybe some were missed, or just didn't respond to the lube the same as others) and then others only got the tick after their first oil change.

Solution: Live with it, or make Ford supply you with whatever that lube is (pretty sure it's not XL-17).
I'll add that I do hope a different brand or type of oil fixes it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Also, I don't believe that all 5.0's will encounter this tick, but Ford added the mystery lube to hedge it's bets, as they knew that good percentage would have it.

RON PAUL 2012
youtube.com/watch?v=ohKz9OeiI0g&feature=related
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
There is absolutely no reason to use 0-weight oil. Use 5W-20 or 5W-30.
With wind chills it can get down to -40C up here in the winter and the 0W grades provide better cold start protection at low temperatures. I'm only thinking of using it as a winter oil.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
With wind chills it can get down to -40C up here in the winter and the 0W grades provide better cold start protection at low temperatures. I'm only thinking of using it as a winter oil.
I used 0w20 Amsoil in my 07 GT for 4 years with no problems. The car ran like new when I traded it. It gets hot down here.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member

Somebody with the tick ought to try the new oil from Royal Purple called HPS . ( High Performance Street ) . They claim it has a higher amount of zinc/phosphorous than the regular RP .
Worth a try .
www.RoyalPurple.com
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 Nick View Post
Somebody with the tick ought to try the new oil from Royal Purple called HPS . ( High Performance Street ) . They claim it has a higher amount of zinc/phosphorous than the regular RP .
Worth a try .
www.RoyalPurple.com
HPS isn't API licensed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page