Oil Type vs Tick loudness - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Oil Type vs Tick loudness

Ok, just a fact gathering mission. It appears that every 5.0 has this ticking noise. Ford is telling folks it is normal, and I believe them. Some folks have it louder then others and some folks can't hardly hear it at all.

The various post about the "mystery additive" and the different posts about various oils got me to thinking. I think the loudness and frequency of the ticking is dependent on the type and brand of oil being used. Especially when you see the post of folks complaining about the tick and Ford shipping the mystery additive to the dealership. This mystery additive seem to quiet things down. Also, the tick seems to happen after oil changes.

Please post the oil brand and type that you are using and the loudness of your ticking. Please don't say you don't have the tick because that is not true. Every 5.0 has it to some degree. You probably don't hear it.

Ticking descriptions should be listed as: Very faint (can't hear it in the cabin), Slight tick (can hear it in the cabin very faint), Moderate (Hear it when driving by block walls and in drive through restaurants) and Very loud (Sounds like a drummer).

This information will can be very useful to the folks who have a very loud tick.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011
PONY Member

I have factory fill Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend with 3800 miles and an INAUDIBLE tick. That is to say, there is no single engine noise that stands out above all other normal engine noises. Unless of course you pop the hood and stick your ear up against the valve cover. For reference, here is an example of a car that I would say has the tick:

‪2011 Mustang GT 5.0 engine tick‬‏ - YouTube

My car is extremely quiet even at operating temp on 100 degree days. When the time comes for oil change I will definitely go Mobil 1 full synthetic, but may use 5W-30 for the extra long term protection.

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Ok, just a fact gathering mission. It appears that every 5.0 has this ticking noise. Ford is telling folks it is normal, and I believe them. Some folks have it louder then others and some folks can't hardly hear it at all.

The various post about the "mystery additive" and the different posts about various oils got me to thinking. I think the loudness and frequency of the ticking is dependent on the type and brand of oil being used. Especially when you see the post of folks complaining about the tick and Ford shipping the mystery additive to the dealership. This mystery additive seem to quiet things down. Also, the tick seems to happen after oil changes.

Please post the oil brand and type that you are using and the loudness of your ticking. Please don't say you don't have the tick because that is not true. Every 5.0 has it to some degree. You probably don't hear it.

Ticking descriptions should be listed as: Very faint (can't hear it in the cabin), Slight tick (can hear it in the cabin very faint), Moderate (Hear it when driving by block walls and in drive through restaurants) and Very loud (Sounds like a drummer).

This information will can be very useful to the folks who have a very loud tick.
Horsecrap. If the ticking is normal, why do vehicles only do it immediately following an oil change?

I drained the 5W-20 out of my motor and refilled it with 5W-30 Mobil 1. It did not affect the noise at all.

The weight of the oil is irrelevant. Several dealers have replaced the stock 5W-20 with a mixture of 5W-20 and thick gear oil, and it has not affected the ticking sound at all.

2011 Mustang 5.0

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

BLK 5.0,

Yes, that is what I would call the "very faint" tick. This is almost exactly what I have but mine is even quieter. I truly believe this is a normal condition for the 5.0s.

I am not sure what brand of oil the dealership put in last month but the tick has stayed about the same (second oil change, 10,000 miles). I will call on Monday and find out.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Horsecrap. If the ticking is normal, why do vehicles only do it immediately following an oil change?

I drained the 5W-20 out of my motor and refilled it with 5W-30 Mobil 1. It did not affect the noise at all.

The weight of the oil is irrelevant. Several dealers have replaced the stock 5W-20 with a mixture of 5W-20 and thick gear oil, and it has not affected the ticking sound at all.
Sky,

With all due respect, I guess you did not read the OP as your question is answered there. Please do so before you comment. Thanks this thread is meant to be helpful (if possible), and you completely missed the point.

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT STYLE View Post
Sky,

With all due respect, I guess you did not read the OP as your question is answered there. Please do so before you comment. Thanks this thread is meant to be helpful (if possible), and you completely missed the point.
Fine, Motorcraft full-synthetic 5W-20 makes a loud ticking.

Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W-30 also makes a loud ticking.

Oil weight has nothing to do with it, and if this was normal, the engines would do it when new and ALL of the motors (not just some) would do it.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

2011 Mustang 5.0
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Fine, Motorcraft full-synthetic 5W-20 makes a loud ticking.

Mobil 1 full-synthetic 5W-30 also makes a loud ticking.

Oil weight has nothing to do with it, and if this was normal, the engines would do it when new and ALL of the motors (not just some) would do it.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing
Sky,

Thanks. Ford puts the mystery additive in the motors at the factory. No more additive (oil change) the ticking starts. Many folks have said that Ford shipped this mystery additive to their dealerships when they complained and the ticking stopped. This is my theory on why the ticks start after oil changes. From what I have been reading, It appears that the loudest ticking is associated with synthetic oils. I just want to see if my theory is correct.

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011
BOSS Member

Garage
I just don't understand this "tic" thing. If you owned a 4.6 3v you would love how quiet the 5.0 is compared to it.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
I just don't understand this "tic" thing. If you owned a 4.6 3v you would love how quiet the 5.0 is compared to it.
Thats great, my 4.6 was noisy as well. What oil are you using?

GT Member

Mobil1 5w20 the tick is same loudness as it was with the Motorcraft oil the car was delivered with

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
Mobil1 5w20 the tick is same loudness as it was with the Motorcraft oil the car was delivered with
Can you describe the tick loudness better? Thanks.

BOSS Member

Garage
I still have the factory oil with 3800 miles on it. I will use Amsoil 0w20 when I change it.

PONY Member

I'm not sure this applies to the 5.0 but here goes . Over at www.Raptorforumz.com there's alot of people that have been screaming bloody murder about engine ticking in the 6.2 . Some have had their top halves replaced . But what was interesting was alot of people found out that the Cannister Purge Valve ( CPV ) was what was doing the ticking, not anything inside the engine . After the dealer replaced this part the ticking stopped . Now several people said it took up to 3 CPV replacements to stop it permanently. Aparentally some of the replacement valves were bad right out of the box .
I don't know what a CPV does but there's a pic of one in one of the threads on ticking .
GT Member

I have no ticking noise on my car. I have 1200 miles on it and have not changed the oil yet. I even stick my head in the engine bay and the only thing I hear are the injectors.

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
I have no ticking noise on my car. I have 1200 miles on it and have not changed the oil yet. I even stick my head in the engine bay and the only thing I hear are the injectors.
All I hear is the injectors and I think that's what a lot of people are calling their tic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page