Halogen or HID Headlamps? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Halogen or HID Headlamps?

Ok this is probably a dumb question, but I bought a 2011 GT used. The driver side headlamp is out. How can I tell if my car has halogens or HIDs?

I know HIDs are pricey. If I have those and one is out on a 2011, is it by any chance covered by the warranty? I've never dealt with HIDs before as you can tell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hey, Columbus here too!

HID...

Halogen...

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey thanks man, that's what I was afraid of, I got the HID. Lol Shouldn't those puppies come with some kind of warranty? Not just a simple bulb burning out early...

Sharp looking car you got there by the way!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewcolumbus View Post
Hey thanks man, that's what I was afraid of, I got the HID. Lol Shouldn't those puppies come with some kind of warranty? Not just a simple bulb burning out early...

Sharp looking car you got there by the way!
Take it to a Ford dealer and they should fix it under warranty. If the car has less than 36k miles on it.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Take it to a Ford dealer and they should fix it under warranty. If the car has less than 36k miles on it.
Can't hurt to check... especially for what the cost as an option on mine, yeeehawwwww. Had to have 'em though, like the clean look up front and good gravy I can see so much better at night. Best of all so far no one has high-beamed me like I was blinding them either.

Scott | 2012 GT Premium Coupe Performance White 6R80 HID 64M Wheels Ford All-Weather Pony Mats & Trunk Liner GT500/GT Rear Mud Flap Set Ohio's Horses License Plate Raxiom Aero Tails

If you love your dog, get a microchip, they really work! My lost dog was back home in just under 24 hours thanks to the good citizens who called the county and the microchip that told animal control exactly where he lived.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011
GT Member

definitely a warranty issue

2016 DIB GT Premium A6, Borla S-type axle backs, Rovos Pretoria wheels 20x8.5/20x10, Nitto N555G2 tires 255/35/20 and 275/35/20, Koni yellows, BMR springs
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011
PONY Member

It's fairly unlikely the bulb burnt out - I'd say the ballast kicked the bucket. They work a lot like fluorescent bulbs, actually - and in those, 80% of the time when they don't work it's either the starter or the ballast (both of which are contained in the ballast unit on an HID setup).

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Random question that's probably been answered many threads over. But since this one is active - How much would it cost the average joe to upgrade from Halogen to HID? Weren't people saying like $2-3k?

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiZ_65 View Post
Random question that's probably been answered many threads over. But since this one is active - How much would it cost the average joe to upgrade from Halogen to HID? Weren't people saying like $2-3k?
As hard as it is to believe, they are not pulling your leg with those figures. I initially ordered a 2011 and the dealer screwed up and the car came in without HIDs. The price to change them over was going to be just over $2000 for the parts alone, just over $3000 including labor. Needless to say I ended up reordering another car. Although it looks simple from the outside I guess everything behind the skin is totally different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page