Are Pypes Axle-Back Muffler Deletes Street Legal in Texas? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Are Pypes Axle-Back Muffler Deletes Street Legal in Texas?

Hi all,

Figured it was time to upgrade my exhaust note and am leaning toward the black Pypes delete Pypes Black Pype-Bomb Mustang Axle-Back Exhaust (11-12 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!.

Just curious if anyone knows, for sure, if these are street legal in Texas or not? Would hate to buy then not be able to use.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had a local muffler shop remove my mufflers and weld pipe in there place. Sounds and looks great. Are you ready, cost me a whopping $40!

Sold-2011 GT, 6spd man, black on black with 3:73's, Airaid CAI, bama 93 race tune, 12.350 1/4 @ 113.5 mph (DA corrected 11.904 @ 117.856 MPH) recently added lethal performance O/R Xpipe and magnaflow axle back, new times coming soon!

2013 GT, 6spd manual, GHIG, Eibach sportlines,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011
PONY Member

Depends on the noise laws in your area. But really technically, almost no axlebacks except maybe the GT500 are technically legal in most areas. Most noise laws are pretty strict and any aftermarket muffler makes this car loud enough to violate them. But just try to keep it down when you're around a cop and I doubt you'll have any problems. Worst case scenario you get a $50 fix-it ticket (at least that's what it is around hear for exhaust being too loud) and go about your business.

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 401A, 6MT, Brembo, Comfort, Security, HIDs, Rear Camera
Steeda CAI, Magnaflow X-Pipe, Bama tune, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Backs, Ford Racing 4.10s, Barton Shifter & Bracket, JLT Oil Separator, BMR LCAs & Relocation Brackets, Steeda Adjustable UCA
13.31 @ 109.6 at 7,383' DA

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011
Apprentice

I traded in my daughter's 2007 Mustang GT with SLP Loudmouths (same as what you are looking at).
The dealer called me back and asked if I had the stock mufflers as without mufflers it failed inspection.

I have Flowmaster Hushpowers on our 2011 5.0, they will pass inspection, they are true mufflers.

What you are looking at is basically a muffler delete.

2011 Shelby GT500 Vert - 13 TVS with Lund Tune
2005 Mustang GT manual - Muffler Deletes - my son's car
Gone, but not forgotten
2007 Corvette Z06
2003 Cobra - [email protected] (1.85 60')
2001 Viper GTS - [email protected] (1.68 60')
1992 MUstang - [email protected] (1.81 60')
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

As a general rule, cars are required to have functioning mufflers installed just about anywhere, regardless of overall sound. erod550 is somewhat correct, too, in that many aftermarket mufflers could be considered illegal in many areas, but it's because many states still have vague sound laws that usually boil down to "it's illegal to make your car louder than stock". Some states, like CA, have actual db (decibel) limits one has to abide by- here, it's 95db, which is really pretty generous. 95db is loud enough for most, but still liveable to the general public. The SLP Loudmouths yell03 mentioned almost certainly wouldn't be 'street legal' here, but the Hushpwer axle-back is, along with others, I'm sure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks everyone. Didn't even think about the potential trade in issues later. Guess I'll lean toward one of the Borla kits. Had magnaflow on my 06, and the drone at 2k was just north of irritating. Everything I've read on Borla appears to be no drone and the riight sound (for me).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011
Rookie

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page