Coyote Oil Consumption Poll Thread - Page 5 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: How much oil have you added to your Coyote engine?
0 Quarts 168 46.67%
<1 Quart 51 14.17%
1 Quart 54 15.00%
2 Quarts 45 12.50%
3 Quarts 15 4.17%
4 Quarts 11 3.06%
5+ Quarts 16 4.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Just put 2200 miles on in the last week. That brings me to over 7000 miles without having to add any oil.

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

x

Last edited by gidyupp; 10-26-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Apprentice

Had a 2011 GT/CS and now a 2012 GT and both cars down 1 qt every 1000 mi

PONY Member

Low end knock started at 3,100 miles. Let car cool down, checked oil and the dip was bone dry. She was, in fact, 3.5 quarts low. No leaks. Bearing damage. Ford replaced short block under warranty.

I'll sure be monitoring the new engine closely, and I think that would be wise for everyone to do, especially during the first few thousands miles.

It does intrigue me that some Coyotes lose no oil while others burn through it at a rediculous rate. Ford has no answer but to say that losing 1 quart per 1,000 miles is "normal". If that is so, I sure hope my new engine is one of the "abnormal" ones that consume no oil.

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My 2012 is burning oil like crazy. Not sure what level it was on when I took delivery but thanks to this thread I checked 6 weeks into owning my mustang and I was just registering on the dip stick and added 3 quarts to get it between the holes on the dip stick.

I've burned 2 more quarts since then over the last two months, 2k miles so I'm averaging about 1 quart every 1k miles.

I wished I would have checked the level when I took delivery but I took that for granted. Ford Sales also needs to warn customers to check their oil often since there is such inconsistent consumption rates.

I thought my nissan 350z and my infiniti G37 sport burned a lot of oil, 2 quarts per 5000 miles but this car sets the mark. I hope my consumption tapers off, particularly after my first oil change.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
PONY Member

I am right at 1900 miles on my 12. Oil mark has not moved since I took delivery about six weeks ago.

2012 GT Premium 400A 6R80 Kona on Charcoal
Apprentice

I wonder if the 30 weight oil burns less than the 20?

2011 GT/CS - Red Candy Metallic - Automatic Transmission - Steeda Cold Air Intake - Brenspeed 93 Race Tune - Lethal Performance Offroad H-Pipe - Ford Racing GT500 Axleback Exhaust - Brake Performance Premium Dimpled Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Shaftmasters 3.5 Aluminum Drive Shaft
Apprentice

Hi Guys , dumped the factory oil & filter @ 1450 miles , through that time had to add 4oz. of oil to keep it just below top dot where it was when bought. this past Saturday @ 2500 miles had to add about 4oz. again to keep it in the sweet spot on the stick . ( that level after new filter and 8 qts of oil done by me was right between the dots heading toward's top dot a bit )
Thx !
Rich..........

2011 GT Coupe P / Red Candy Metallic
Char Blk Lthr Int /Com.Pkg./Sec.Pkg.
Brembo / 3.73 Rear / Mt-82 6spd.
19" PP AL.Wh / Pirelli40R19 P-Zeros
MODS:
K&N CAI - JLT OS - Steeda Billet RLCA
Steeda Adj. UCA
Magnaflow Comp. CB System
Apprentice

You guys burning a qt. every 500 to 1000 milrs.
try useing agoog sythetic 5w30.i bet this work

My car burnt some oil durig break in about 1 and half qt.
after first change at about 3k haven't burnt a drop

GT perf. white 401A
Secr.pkg,comf.pkg,3.55
GT500 A/Bs,Roush billet grill,GT/CS facia w/fogs,oil catch can,
hood struts,Kappa Infinity6829s.Body color side skirts & rear
valance,STEEDA,sports,adj.GT 500 mounts, upper & lower control arms,bumpsteer kit,x11 ball joints,panhard bar,KONI yellows,Omega Godspeed wheels staggered,295/30/20 rear, 255/35/20'front.
Apprentice

I added 1/2 quart at around 1200 miles. Just turned 3000, and it was 1.5 qt low. Wow. Hope it gets better...

2012 GT Base. 6MT, 3.31
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRich View Post
Hi Guys , dumped the factory oil & filter @ 1450 miles , through that time had to add 4oz. of oil to keep it just below top dot where it was when bought. this past Saturday @ 2500 miles had to add about 4oz. again to keep it in the sweet spot on the stick . ( that level after new filter and 8 qts of oil done by me was right between the dots heading toward's top dot a bit )
Thx !
Rich..........
You shouldn't be adding oil if the oil level isn't below the lower hole on the dipstick. 8 qts of oil in my car is in the middle of the cross hatched area. Adding oil to keep it at the top hole is a bit unnecessary.

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

I needed one quart right before I got my first oil change at 5,000 miles. Now I have 14,000 and it has not used any appreciable amount since. I check my catch can about every 1000 miles and that too has seemed to have slowed. My guess is that the rings are now seated.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimera View Post
I wonder if the 30 weight oil burns less than the 20?
No. I used Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2011 GT/CS traded it at 8000mi was using 1qt/1000mi. My 2012 GT which has 4300mi also has Mobil 1 5w30 and is using oil at same rate.
PONY Member

Hmmm, my new engine is apparently "normal" as well. After 750 miles checked the dipstick and oil was well below the lower hole, Put in one quart.

Also, installed JLT catch can last night (passenger side). After 15 miles commute too and from work, there are already a couple drops of oil in the can. Holy # (!)

2012 GT Yellow Blaze MT 3.73 * Steeda CAI & 91 Tune * Koni Yellows * Steeda Sports * BMR Adj. Panhard Bar, UCA, LCA's & Brackets * Barton Shifter & Bracket * Ford Brake Duct Cooling Kit * Steeda Brakes * Hypersilver Eurotek O2 19x9.5's * 275/40ZR19 Michelin PSS's * Ford Racing Touring Mufflers * GT/CS Front Valance * Boss Splitter * Blackout Fogs, Deck Lid & MMD Tail Light Trim * GT500 Rear Diffuser & Splash Guards * Infinity Ref. Fr. Speakers * Custom Faux Gas Cap * Redline Hood Struts *.
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine was a little over a quart low at 1500 miles. had the oil changed and it has held steady for the past 700 miles. I will plan to change the oil every 5K max from here on out.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page