Coyote Oil Consumption Poll Thread - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: How much oil have you added to your Coyote engine?
0 Quarts 168 46.67%
<1 Quart 51 14.17%
1 Quart 54 15.00%
2 Quarts 45 12.50%
3 Quarts 15 4.17%
4 Quarts 11 3.06%
5+ Quarts 16 4.44%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
With 800 miles on my GT checked the oil today. Down at least a quart.

2019 Velocity Blue GT 6m Premium
401a
Black Out Package
B&O Stereo
Active Valve Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I check my oil once a week and I haven't consumed much if any oil. I have owned the car since August. Maybe I am lucky, but according to the poll results most people are like me. This car is my daily driver and I deal with some heavy traffic every morning so I do drive this car a fare amount.

2012 Mustang GT, MT82, rapid spec 300A, Base GT, Bone stock.
Purchased Aug 2011.
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

I'd get rid of a car (or truck) that used over a quart of oil between oil changes. Something is wrong.

Mine stays on full.

1995 Mustang Cobra R
2019 Mustang GT350 K1868

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965mustang View Post
I'd get rid of a car (or truck) that used over a quart of oil between oil changes. Something is wrong.

Mine stays on full.
Not neceassarily according to Ford! Mine consumes a quart every 1000 miles (7.5k miles to date). I changed to full synthetic at 5k miles and it still consumes at the same rate. Never any smoke, never any marks on the garage floor, never any oil splattered on the under carraige or block. It just consumes the oil. I noticed Ford put hood vents on the 2013. That was not by accident and may be a reason why the non vented hood 5.0 suffers from excessive consumption. I noticed my 5.0 will stay hot for hours after it has been parked in the garage.
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blackgt View Post
Not neceassarily according to Ford! Mine consumes a quart every 1000 miles (7.5k miles to date).
JMO, I'd trade-in a new car that used a quart of oil every 1000 miles at some point before 50K miles. If there is no leak, the oil is going through the exhaust. The piston rings and/or the valve guides are letting oil escape. It will probably eventually corrupt the oxygen sensors in the exhaust pipes.

I am talking about normal street use, and not someone that goes to the track at Sebring (that is severe use).

You know where this is?

1995 Mustang Cobra R
2019 Mustang GT350 K1868
Rookie

X

Last edited by gidyupp; 10-26-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Apprentice

Don't know if build dates play into anything, but my Oct '11 build 2012 GT is still reading a healthy level between the dots on the dip stick even with 20+ 1/4 Mile passes and 6000 miles. Haven't added a single drop.

Black '12 GT Premium Coupe | 6MT | Brembo | 3.73 Rear | 20% Tint | Boss Front Fascia | Boss Rear Valence
Barton 2 Post Bracket | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | J&M Adj Panhard Bar | Muffler Delete | Airaid CAI | 91H Tune by Bama
Best run - 12.797 @ 112 2.089 60ft - DA 2134ft

Light Grey Metallic '11 BMW S1000RR | DTC | ABS | Quickshifter | Bridgestone S20
Best run - 10.5 @141 1.9 60 ft - DA 3300ft
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965mustang View Post
JMO, I'd trade-in a new car that used a quart of oil every 1000 miles at some point before 50K miles. If there is no leak, the oil is going through the exhaust. The piston rings and/or the valve guides are letting oil escape. It will probably eventually corrupt the oxygen sensors in the exhaust pipes.

I am talking about normal street use, and not someone that goes to the track at Sebring (that is severe use).

You know where this is?
Yes my 12 GT has been on SIR, but only for 3 laps. Not severe by any standards. I have to disagree with you on piston rings and valve guides. Every car I've ever seen with those issues had whitish/bluish smoke coming out of the exhaust. My car burns a lot of oil, but it is NOT coming out of the exhaust. Furthermore, the exhaust pipes and tips are clean. If the car was exhibiting problems due to the oil burn I'd consider doing something about it, but it runs like a scalded dog and has not missed a beat. Considering some of the other problems people have I'm not going to trade a great runnning car just because I have to add a quart every 1k miles. Of course I'd rather not have to, but in the grand scheme of things it's a small issue. Your picture looks like turn 17 at Sebring?
Apprentice

Quote:
Yes my 12 GT has been on SIR, but only for 3 laps. Not severe by any standards. I have to disagree with you on piston rings and valve guides. Every car I've ever seen with those issues had whitish/bluish smoke coming out of the exhaust. My car burns a lot of oil, but it is NOT coming out of the exhaust. Furthermore, the exhaust pipes and tips are clean. If the car was exhibiting problems due to the oil burn I'd consider doing something about it, but it runs like a scalded dog and has not missed a beat. Considering some of the other problems people have I'm not going to trade a great runnning car just because I have to add a quart every 1k miles. Of course I'd rather not have to, but in the grand scheme of things it's a small issue. Your picture looks like turn 17 at Sebring?
If your car is burning oil, the byproducts of that process are exiting thru your exhaust. Where the hell else would they be exiting from?

2012 Kona Blue Brembo GT, 3.55, TVS2300/Phase2, MGW Shifter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednut View Post
If your car is burning oil, the byproducts of that process are exiting thru your exhaust. Where the hell else would they be exiting from?
Don't know? But I can tell you I've been at several events lately where there were a lot of other 2011 and 12 Mustangs. Other Mustang's tail pipes and exhaust tips looked a lot worse than mine does. Of course I have no idea what their oil burning situation is, but mine is pretty bad and my exhaust looks better than theirs! Maybe it's because in adding oil so often I burn nothning but new/fresh oil. Perhaps it burns cleaner than oil with a lot of mileage on it?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingot Silver GT View Post
With 800 miles on my GT checked the oil today. Down at least a quart.
Did you check the level when new? Most have found the level to be halfway between the two holes from the factory fill. If you are now down to the lower hole you may have only used 1/2 qt in 800 miles.

I am still amazed by the fact that so many engines use a lot of oil during break in and others don't use any....... go figure.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Don't know? But I can tell you I've been at several events lately where there were a lot of other 2011 and 12 Mustangs. Other Mustang's tail pipes and exhaust tips looked a lot worse than mine does. Of course I have no idea what their oil burning situation is, but mine is pretty bad and my exhaust looks better than theirs! Maybe it's because in adding oil so often I burn nothning but new/fresh oil. Perhaps it burns cleaner than oil with a lot of mileage on it?
How much money have you wasted on refill oil?

I'd be interested to know when owners who use "extra oil" will have enough....

Do any other ford cars/trucks do this?

2013 Black GT/CS. Electronics pkg. Comfort, 3.73. CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna. JLT Oil Separator. 20% rear 50% front tint. Clearbra. Flip Down License Plate Holder.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgt View Post
How much money have you wasted on refill oil?
Not sure I'd call keeping his motor properly lubricated wasting money, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerBuddysPony View Post
Not sure I'd call keeping his motor properly lubricated wasting money, but I guess that's a matter of opinion.
Not the point. The point is... Why does any Mustang owner have to "keep his motor properly lubricated" by constantly having to add oil? There is no way on this earth that is acceptable or normal.

It reminds me of my 1970 Chevy Impala that I drove when I was in college.

2013 Black GT/CS. Electronics pkg. Comfort, 3.73. CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna. JLT Oil Separator. 20% rear 50% front tint. Clearbra. Flip Down License Plate Holder.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgt View Post
Not the point. The point is... Why does any Mustang owner have to "keep his motor properly lubricated" by constantly having to add oil? There is no way on this earth that is acceptable or normal.

It reminds me of my 1970 Chevy Impala that I drove when I was in college.
It is the point (according to your post). I still say it's not a waste...what's the alternative? Not every engine is the same. It may not be "normal" to have to add oil at that interval, but if everything works well then I wouldn't let it blow either.

Some may take longer than others and it will level out at some point; then again, it may not and he may need to take it in and have it looked at. It would be real nice if we didn't need to check oil levels, or any number of maintenance procedures, but that's just not realistic. If it's acceptable to HIM then it IS acceptable...

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page