Steeda Axle Back - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Steeda Axle Back

Who is running them & how loud are they compared to GT500's & Roush? Any drone @ highway speeds? I know the Roush are loud or what I consider loud. Looking for something that won't alert the fuzz from a mile away like they will. Do want a deep tone & some growl on the gas. Heard vids & steeda sounds like it might fit the bill. Afraid GT's will be a little too tame?

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
Rookie

I just got the Pype-bomb axlebacks. Nice deep sound, slight drone at 2K but overall I'm happy with the fit & sound. Just another exhaust to consider.

2011 Race Red GT 6M 3.73s
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
Rookie

My buddy runs the 2010 Steeda axle back and they sound just as similiar as this sound clip. He sent this to me a couple days ago to show how similiar it sounds to his... He is dead on. In person his car sounds great. It has a deep growl like you wanted and his gets up quite a bit more when he hammers it.

‪Steeda Axle Back Exhaust for 2011 5.0L Ford Mustang GT‬‏ - YouTube

From a first person point of view I have heard it and seen the difference. You can't go wrong with this choice. He really liked this choice because it didn't f'up the warranty when it was installed.

Can't go wrong with an American product for an American car!!!

Let me know if you want me to try to get a clip of his car??

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks! Have you heard the Roush? That's what I have now. LOUD cold start. LOUD when you nail it. Just fine regular idle & cruising. Very little drone if any. Trying to tone down the 2 loud parts with change. Think this will do it?

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011
Apprentice

Can anyone tell me how similar they are to the S-Types in person? Loundness and sound? I love the borla but the price is a tad to high...

2013 Black Mustang 5.0 California Special | MT-82 | Bama 93P | Barton | JLT
SOLD 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium Convertible | 6A | SF3 SCT 93 Tune | Steeda CAI | Borla Touring
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011
Rookie

I was just at the Ford Mustang show in Dearborn at world headquaurters. Steeda had a display and they had the Streetfighter on display (wicked awesome). It sports the Steeda Axle Back exhaust. They started it up and it was one of the best sounding cars I have heard in a while (except for the Boss 429 that took off 5 minutes prior to it, but they are on different levels). It was a loud tamed growl in idle, but screamed when they took off. I can speak from my buddy's mustang to the Streetfighter that this exhaust is one of the best sounding on the market.

I visited several displays and cars that were on hand, and the Streetfigher by far was the best looking car at the show. There were plenty of Shelby's, Saleens, and Roush's.. but none sounded like this car

I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011
Apprentice

Garage
I was at the Ford show in Dearborn too! I didn't get to stay long as I took the girlfriend and it was hot and muggy (for her)... drag her to enough of these things and I was feeling sorry for her. (Me: oh, look at this one! Her: It looks the same as the last one. Me: Sigh)

The Steeda Streetfighter looked and sounded great. I'm not sure if it had any other exhaust mods besides the axle backs though.

On a side note, I really like the Steeda functional front fascia. It's on my wish list now.

2011 Black Mustang GT - Eibach Pro Kit - 275/40/19 Rears
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member

that steeda sounds similar to the Ford Racing Axle back. I love the sound of the FRP one so much i am afraid to alter anything from header back. the sound is perfect for my street usage.

The GT500 are 50 state legal. the FRP are 49. Which tells me the FRP setup is a hair louder. But i love it. No drone anywhere. And 6th gear is very quiet like stock on hwy speeds. the roush is much much louder.

but if i compare that steeda clip and my clip, they sound identical. Borla makes the FRP axleback. who makes Steedas?

‪Ford Racing axleback 2011 Mustang 5.0‬‏ - YouTube
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Fan View Post
that steeda sounds similar to the Ford Racing Axle back. I love the sound of the FRP one so much i am afraid to alter anything from header back. the sound is perfect for my street usage.

The GT500 are 50 state legal. the FRP are 49. Which tells me the FRP setup is a hair louder. But i love it. No drone anywhere. And 6th gear is very quiet like stock on hwy speeds. the roush is much much louder.

but if i compare that steeda clip and my clip, they sound identical. Borla makes the FRP axleback. who makes Steedas?

‪Ford Racing axleback 2011 Mustang 5.0‬‏ - YouTube
Those sound great. They sure are proud of them.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
Apprentice

I was just at Steeda on Saturday. Borla makes the exhaust for Steeda. I was told they are custom made for Steeda and are similar to the Borla S types.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbonds1 View Post
I was just at Steeda on Saturday. Borla makes the exhaust for Steeda. I was told they are custom made for Steeda and are similar to the Borla S types.
I was wondering which Borla they favor.

2011 Candy GT Vert
1969 Camaro
Apprentice

Kooks makes them now. I have the Kooks variety. Love 'em!
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZZYDP View Post
I was wondering which Borla they favor.
They are (IMO) unlike any of the Borlas. I own the original Steedas from last year (Borla). I did not like Borla at all, and when I found out these awesome steedas were made by them, I was like WO, what a difference.

Anyway as Kelly said, they are NOW Kooks. I think you can still get the Borlas if you want. Mine are now going to be unique Borla has a drone at 2000rpm (hwy speed). Now that i got 373's on mine, the hwy drone is gone (only around 60mph now, which I dont usually drive).

Here's mine at cold start up and allowing to idle down (use subwoofer for best results)
Mustang GT/CS 2.0 2011 Steeda Axleback Exhaust - YouTube

Here is the sound from inside:

Mustang GT/CS 2.0 2011 Steeda Axleback Exhaust - YouTube

RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page