Gear swap on the 2011 Automatic - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Gear swap on the 2011 Automatic

When I bought this car I was a bit depressed with there being no factory gear change for the automatic.. For some reason 3:15 gearing just seems to be kinda poon for a muscle car..

So I was wondering if anyone has some real world numbers on the gear swap.. 3:55's and 3:73's.. Highway speed RPMs.. Fuel consumption.. Did ya have a shop install the gears and how much was the bill?? Was it worth it?? Some before and after track times would be awesome.. 0-60 time??

The automatic is a beast with 3:15's and I think ford only used those gears for the fuel mileage IDK. I am really thinking of the 3:55 swap and pray the dang front wheels stay on the ground on launches:shiny:. I just want some insight before the dumping of the cash...

Joshua
2011 GT Premium.
Free Timex option
perfect shifting Automatic
Candy Apple metallic
Tri bar pony badges all the way around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
Apprentice

haha

I randomly have been searching through forums and google looking for details on gear ratio experiences on 11 auto...

We are on the same page here...

It seems the bill would be about 400-500 (gears and install)

and im in for track experience...

2011 gt 5.0 base, tint, hushpowers, frpp p springs..for now..

happy everyday knowing what I get to drive!
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6tov8stang View Post
haha

I randomly have been searching through forums and google looking for details on gear ratio experiences on 11 auto...

We are on the same page here...

It seems the bill would be about 400-500 (gears and install)

and im in for track experience...
$400 bucks... Not a bad deal.. I have done a gear swap before, but I hate the smell of gear oil and I am unsure what is in the pumpkin of this car...

What gears are you thinking of slapping in yours??

Joshua
2011 GT Premium.
Free Timex option
Candy Apple metallic

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper5.0 View Post
$400 bucks... Not a bad deal.. I have done a gear swap before, but I hate the smell of gear oil and I am unsure what is in the pumpkin of this car...

What gears are you thinking of slapping in yours??
150 for gears...roughly 300 for installation, I would try and get better

Swapping gears yourself I heard is risky due to chance of whine and whatnot? How did your last gear swap go?

And Im torn between the two ratios...same old debate everyone has

Part of me says do the 4.10, I finally have the car I want to keep, just go all the way...rip the tires up....but it is my DD (although 70% city for now) its hard to justify the mpg and my tires might get hurt alot...

3.73 seems to be the balance, but if I get those, Id be driving everyday asking "what if" ...just like I did when I bought a v6 hehe

2011 gt 5.0 base, tint, hushpowers, frpp p springs..for now..

happy everyday knowing what I get to drive!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MustangStNick
1st, unless your a pro mechanic don't, I repeat, DON'T try a gear change your self. Get a shop that has change out these gear on the new Mustangs. Proper settings is VITAL!

I oaid $148.00 and some change{Free Shipping} for my 373 gears from AM, $250.00 to get them installed and have been grinning ever sence. :smilie

Your Stang will come alive. It really didn't hurt the fuel milage if you behave your self {which I don't most of the time} and on the hwy
I can still pull 21/22 at 70mph on cruise.

Magna 2300 TVS Supercharger,500+RWH,355 Gears, 3" Pypes OffRoad X Pipe,3" GT500 Exhaust w/High Flo Cats, w/GT500 Axel Backs,18"X10" NZO Halo II's w/ Michlin Pilots.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
GT Member

If you don't plan on running at the strip every weekend I think the stock 3.15's are perfect for daily driving in the auto . I believe because of the gearing it is like somewhere in between 3.55's and 3.73's in the manual no?
I think a gear swap would sacrifice some upper end.
When I had my manual I couldn't take the sluggish 3.31's any more and swapped in 3.73's. In the end it cost a lot of money and though 1st and 2nd felt stronger for sure the upper end actually felt weaker and I had loud hum sound in 6th gear after the swap. Now That I think back on it, not worth the near $1000 I spent. I think for daily driving in the manual the 3.55's would have been the optimal choice an done so from the factory which is kind of like what you already have in the auto because of the auto gearing...

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6tov8stang View Post
150 for gears...roughly 300 for installation, I would try and get better

Swapping gears yourself I heard is risky due to chance of whine and whatnot? How did your last gear swap go?

And Im torn between the two ratios...same old debate everyone has

Part of me says do the 4.10, I finally have the car I want to keep, just go all the way...rip the tires up....but it is my DD (although 70% city for now) its hard to justify the mpg and my tires might get hurt alot...

3.73 seems to be the balance, but if I get those, Id be driving everyday asking "what if" ...just like I did when I bought a v6 hehe
Last swap I did was on a Ford 9in in a old Bronco that I had.. Completely different animal.. Was pretty easy cause once you had the third member out you could set in on a bench... I had presses and gear pullers and all the necessary tools stuff back then.. Centering the pinion gear to the ring( gear mesh) is what was important on that install.. It never did whine.. Also had the backlash right in spec.. Did a spider gear change on a Dana 44 once.. My buddy wants to help me do the gear swap on the mustang, but his maverick whines:nogrinner...

I will just pay someone. Too much of a PITA.. Gear oil stinks.. Gears are sharp.. Working under jackstands sucks.. @ $300 I would feel I am getting my moneys worth for that type of labor...
I do a good bit of highway driving in mine.. That's why I am thinking 3:55... Since you don't wanta take the 4:10 plunge.. You could really be different and go with 3:90.. At 60-80 That car will be screaming RPM wise for a car with a 6 speed..:hihi:

Joshua
2011 GT Premium.
Free Timex option
Candy Apple metallic
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Motive makes a decent set of gears, and the 3.90 gear ratio won't hurt your top end. Depending on the shop, and their hourly rate but Dez Racing put my 3.90's in for $350. And Brian does excellent work. You'll see Dez's shop, in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords just about every other month, Mike.

70 BOSS,with a 71 429 SCJ 8.0:1 compression with an F-3 Pro Charger and 39lbs. of boost. Rectangular Tube Chassis, Custom 17" Magnum 500 Wheels. Just way too much to list, but what a ride. P.S. Hang on tight!!!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Last swap I did was on a Ford 9in in a old Bronco that I had.. Completely different animal.. Was pretty easy cause once you had the third member out you could set in on a bench... I had presses and gear pullers and all the necessary tools stuff back then.. Centering the pinion gear to the ring( gear mesh) is what was important on that install.. It never did whine.. Also had the backlash right in spec.. Did a spider gear change on a Dana 44 once.. My buddy wants to help me do the gear swap on the mustang, but his maverick whines:nogrinner...

I will just pay someone. Too much of a PITA.. Gear oil stinks.. Gears are sharp.. Working under jackstands sucks.. @ $300 I would feel I am getting my moneys worth for that type of labor...
I do a good bit of highway driving in mine.. That's why I am thinking 3:55... Since you don't wanta take the 4:10 plunge.. You could really be different and go with 3:90.. At 60-80 That car will be screaming RPM wise for a car with a 6 speed..:hihi:
If your not really cruising at 80mph+ all of the time(such as I), I'd imagine a gear swap making quite a difference in low end grunt. I originally did mine at the dealer and got charged an arm and leg but they were quoting me the cheapest comparing to other speed shops in my area at the time. One shop wanted $1500:nogrinner I'd also love to hear of a way to calibrate the speedo in the auto without a tuning device since that could cause warranty issues with the stealership. If I were to ever do a gear swap in my mine I wouldn't go any more than 3.55's because of the gearing of the auto.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
Apprentice

The manual box is set up a bit differently than the auto. Adding 3.73 on the auto would be similar to a 4.25 on the manual. There are tons of articles on this out there but the consensus of people who have done it is that its great for performance.

2013 Black Mustang 5.0 California Special | MT-82 | Bama 93P | Barton | JLT
SOLD 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium Convertible | 6A | SF3 SCT 93 Tune | Steeda CAI | Borla Touring
PONY Member
4.6L Member

4.10's only added tenth to my friends 60. Can gain .2-.3 with convertor and gears or just a convertor alone.

2011 Premium Red Candy Mustang GT ( Delivered 5/24/10 )
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
If your not really cruising at 80mph+ all of the time(such as I), I'd imagine a gear swap making quite a difference in low end grunt. I originally did mine at the dealer and got charged an arm and leg but they were quoting me the cheapest comparing to other speed shops in my area at the time. One shop wanted $1500:nogrinner I'd also love to hear of a way to calibrate the speedo in the auto without a tuning device since that could cause warranty issues with the stealership. If I were to ever do a gear swap in my mine I wouldn't go any more than 3.55's because of the gearing of the auto.
Like I said.. The 3:55's should make it a animal.. That is a big hop from 3:15 gearing IMO.. Makes ya wonder if it would get 3rd and 4th gear wheel spin..
The dealer couldn't recalibrate the speedo?
Wish someone knew for sure

Joshua
2011 GT Premium.
Free Timex option
Candy Apple metallic
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08DarkCandyGT View Post
4.10's only added tenth to my friends 60. Can gain .2-.3 with convertor and gears or just a convertor alone.
Well those numbers suck.. How much pull did he notice?? Are we talking 0-60 or 60ft time??

Joshua
2011 GT Premium.
Free Timex option
Candy Apple metallic
GT Member

Quote:
Like I said.. The 3:55's should make it a animal.. That is a big hop from 3:15 gearing IMO.. Makes ya wonder if it would get 3rd and 4th gear wheel spin..
The dealer couldn't recalibrate the speedo?
Wish someone knew for sure
For the manual yes but can't find a definitive answer on the auto

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
GT Member

Quote:
Well those numbers suck.. How much pull did he notice?? Are we talking 0-60 or 60ft time??
I'm assuming 60ft.
I'd personally be doing the gear swap for more grunt feel than anything and with a few 10th's shaved off as an added bonus

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page