Bama 87 Octane STREET (and other) tunes - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kordasn View Post
I talked to Jim from Bama and he took a look at the tune and mentioned that it seems everything is alright. I am going to ensure I didn't accidentally write in the 87 and 93, or maybe it was related to my issues I had yesterday (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-too-high.html). He also went ahead and is writing another tune with a higher throttle response just in case. So we'll see what happens.

Okay, let me know how that works or if you have any further issues

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMStanger View Post
Okay, let me know how that works or if you have any further issues
I re-checked the tunes to make sure everything was alright - they were. I then took the car for a run last night and I revise my statement about the car at the top end. I think I was expecting a lot more low end (1k-3k RPM) differences. Where I really noticed a difference was 4-7k. Am I now along the lines that people expect? It could also be the fact I'm not really 'launching' the car by dropping the clutch... I have no reason to do that, so the start is mostly from a low RPM and a roll - not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Someone just sent me a PM asking me for a bit of information about my experience. I thought it would be useful to others seeking anecdotal tales about tunes. So here it is (I removed names just in case):

Quote:
Hey man I'm on the fence on whether or not to finally buy a tune for my car. I am going to go with AM's bama tune but not sure which one to get.

Despite their warranty for #8 failure, I'm still a bit leery of a tune and a bit gun shy on loading their "race" tune on something I really have no intention of racing.

My question to you is that for daily driving around town and on the interstate, is there any REAL difference that you feel between the 87 and 93 tunes?

I'm more concerned with longevity of the engine. yeah we know that #8 is a problem child right now but we don't know what long term issues could be caused by these tunes 3~5~etc years down the road. I want to keep this car for a long time and I'm just sitting here racking my brain trying to guess how much extra wear and tear the 93 race tune puts on the drive train compared to something like the 87 or 91 octane performance or street tune.

I've read from a few guys that they prefer the performance tune over the race tune for whatever reasons.

My thing is that if the race tune puts a lot more stress on the engine to squeeze out 5 or so more HP, it's not worth it to me. I can live with a little less power in return for less stress on the motor but if they all more or less push the motor harder to the same extent then I guess it's all a moot point.
Hi ~,

I have heard rumors that the tune is safe for 100% usage. I have to be honest, on the normal driving with a 6M, I did NOT notice much of a difference. So, if you are worried sacrificing the health of the engine for performance on normal driving, I would stay away from the 93. However, what I would imagine has orders of magnitude difference of impact on the health of your engine is actually how you run your car.

Keeping in mind I have a convertible, I just took mine out last night for some fast runs on the EMPTY streets (at speeds well below getting my car impounded http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/about/bill203.shtml) and found out that yes, it is night and day at say 4-7k RPM. However, with a 6M it feels like I'm just beating the **** out of the car/transmission when I'm doing that. Even given the fact I'm not really breaking the tires (screeching on shifts, but not breaking loose), the car is just torquing like a son of a *****. To be clear about this, it's similar to torque-steer, except it's the whole car going insane. The front end goes all over the place without even breaking the rear tires.

All of that being said, I believe that if you put the 87S tune (or 91P) and beat the **** out of the car, it's going to be just as bad as the 93R tune would be for the longevity of the car. The difference between tunes is definitely there in the top end. It may well be there in the low-mid for 6A transmissions, or maybe my ass is too numb to notice? Maybe I just smooth the low end out with my foot? I'm 27 (or maybe 26?); this is my first sports car and it's a beast. The tune just makes it that much more scary.

I believe I will be sticking with the 91P tune unless I intend to actually race with it and 87S if I can't find 91 gas for some reason.

Hope this helps

Also excuse my language

Last edited by kordasn; 08-09-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added PM
GT Member

So to clarify. The race tune feels just like the 87 tune below 4krpms but no stronger and both 87 and race 93 tunes feel stronger below 4krpms than the stock tune?

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
So to clarify. The race tune feels just like the 87 tune below 4krpms but no stronger and both 87 and race 93 tunes feel stronger below 4krpms than the stock tune?

That is my impression thus far.

The main differences I notice between 87S and 93R are the car idles rougher with the 93 and much more spirited top end. As I have stated, I have a 6M It may be less noticeable than with a 6A, because in the extreme low end you have two controls as to your speed compared to just one. Moreover on the shifts, you can decide when you want to shift, it is possible that in an automatic, it makes it more fun / difficult to drive normally / scary with a race tune. You can tell that it's certainly not untamed at normal driving with a 6M because my wife (drives it to work every day and) does not notice any difference other than the slightly rougher idle.

If someone else has a different story, feel free to let me know and I can try to contact AM to see if I can rectify the situation.
BOSS Member

It sounds like you are pretty spot-on.

This is how the tunes specifically differentiate from one-another:
  • Street (87-93 octane) - the street tune is designed as a daily driver program that focuses in on increasing mid-range power. It does give up a few HP at higher RPMs, but that's why there is a Performance file. Automatic vehicles are further enhanced by making adjustments to the transmission's shift points and firmness.
  • Performance (87-93 octane) - The Performance program is designed to add power at 3000 RPMs and higher, focusing more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. Timing, fuel and throttle response settings are slightly more aggressive than the street tune. This is a great track tune but also works well for daily drivers that are looking for a little more "get up and go" than the street tune. The automatic transmission settings are the same as in the street tune.
  • Race (91 - 93 octane) - The race tune will ensure the largest increase in vehicle performance. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area is mandatory. This file is designed for "Race only Use" as the timing, fuel, and throttle response settings are very aggressive. In fact, the adjustments are so aggressive, that we do not recommend it for daily driving as it may cause your vehicle to try to jump out from a stop and easily spin the tires. Finally, with the automatics, we implement entirely new shift points and firmness settings to further enhance the all-out performance of the vehicle.
Which sounds pretty similar to what you are experiencing.

I hope this helps

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

A small update on the fuel economy. In Canada, the 93 Octane gas I have access to is an approximately 15% premium. Eg. I filled up for 140c/L and the 87 Octane would have cost 122c/L. Though the car shows early signs of slightly better fuel economy, I do not believe it's > 15% or I would have noticed a more significant change. If you were in a different scenario, where premium was only 20c/gal premium on a 3.50 gallon, a 5% premium, I think you would probably see gains in terms of less money spent per mile driven on the road.

Loving the tunes, car's in for headers today / tomorrow.
BOSS Member

Quote:
A small update on the fuel economy. In Canada, the 93 Octane gas I have access to is an approximately 15% premium. Eg. I filled up for 140c/L and the 87 Octane would have cost 122c/L. Though the car shows early signs of slightly better fuel economy, I do not believe it's > 15% or I would have noticed a more significant change. If you were in a different scenario, where premium was only 20c/gal premium on a 3.50 gallon, a 5% premium, I think you would probably see gains in terms of less money spent per mile driven on the road.

Loving the tunes, car's in for headers today / tomorrow.

Thanks for the update, glad you are enjoying them!

You did get a new tune set up for the headers, right!?

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung View Post
Thanks for the update, glad you are enjoying them!

You did get a new tune set up for the headers, right!?
Absolutely, though I do not know if they will load the tune on right away at the shop. I recall, but am interested in making sure, it is safe to drive with the "normal" tune, it will just run rougher before it is warmed up, right?
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I used the SCT Bama tunes from AM on my 2010 v6 and was extremely pleased with the differences from stock using the 93 race tune, paired with the JLT CAI was night/day from stock Ford tune! I have the SCT tuner still but have held off from having AM/Bama update the tune to the 5.0. This car is a beast stock! I am personally going to wait a while till the tunes are perfect like they were for the 4.0 (many years to perfect)

But I would like to mention my experience stock the difference using 87 octane vs using 93 octane. Mpg went down and the tank emptied quicker! Didn't notice a performance difference, but Its only a few hp difference from 87-91 octane. Eventually I will get the tune from AM/Bama but can wait awhile.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
BOSS Member

Quote:
Absolutely, though I do not know if they will load the tune on right away at the shop. I recall, but am interested in making sure, it is safe to drive with the "normal" tune, it will just run rougher before it is warmed up, right?
You can run the "normal" or non-header tune, just don't rev it up real high or beat it up too much(go WOT) until you get that tune for the headers in there. It will drive, just don't drive it like you stole it until the tune is ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo172 View Post
I used the SCT Bama tunes from AM on my 2010 v6 and was extremely pleased with the differences from stock using the 93 race tune, paired with the JLT CAI was night/day from stock Ford tune! I have the SCT tuner still but have held off from having AM/Bama update the tune to the 5.0. This car is a beast stock! I am personally going to wait a while till the tunes are perfect like they were for the 4.0 (many years to perfect)

But I would like to mention my experience stock the difference using 87 octane vs using 93 octane. Mpg went down and the tank emptied quicker! Didn't notice a performance difference, but Its only a few hp difference from 87-91 octane. Eventually I will get the tune from AM/Bama but can wait awhile.

Take your time, we'll be here

Free Same-Day Shipping!

Try the 87 bama tune with 1.5% 2-4k timing advance and 4-7k 1.5% timing advance and when car gets to half of a tank 93 octane gas and next time car is at half tank put in 87 octane so that you keep the gas mixture octane around 89 to 90 octane gas mileage about 15 mpg local and 20 mpg highway Note my car is a 2011 3.7l V6 mustang all stock except for the aluminum drive shaft i installed also i firmed up all the automatic transmission shift pressures by plus 60 you need firm shifts makes the car quicker and is better for the transmission i have already beat three 5.2V8 hemi cars they though they were going to teach me a lesson if they knew i had a 6 cyl i think they would have committed suicide. Richiespeed Retired Mechanic.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hi Richie, welcome to the forum and kudos for using the search feature (assume that's how you found this old thread)

This thread is from 2011, so hopefully the original poster got it figured out by now, or maybe he blew up his car, who knows!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Hi Richie, welcome to the forum and kudos for using the search feature (assume that's how you found this old thread)

This thread is from 2011, so hopefully the original poster got it figured out by now, or maybe he blew up his car, who knows!
Still running fine. Had to fight about emissions because of the government, and that has not been fun. To make things more exciting, I did have some trouble with BAMA getting the tune right, which actually really does worry me... We'll see though.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Still running fine. . . . .
hey! welcome back!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Nice write up. Does AM warranty any failures resulting from their tune? Not that there have been any reported failures, nor do I expect any. But I didn't expect my third gear to go either!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page