Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

22" wheels on 2011 5.0

22K views 65 replies 37 participants last post by  kenv 
#1 ·
Does anyone have 22" wheels on their 2011 5.0 mustang? Are there any problems with 22" wheels? I'm trying to decide if I should go with 20" and lowering or just pull out the 22" wheels?

anyone?

#41 ·
Kinda reminds me of this getto mobile i seen on speed that had 28s

#42 ·
#43 ·
Sorry for those of us who were a holes. The negativity was not at you, it was more at the idea of destroying the performance aspect of the Mustang.

My favorite size wheel on almost any street car is a 19". I can appreciate a nice set of 20's on Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars etc. You'll love 20's and a drop, it will look amazing and still be functional.:bigthumbsup

To the guy who said some people would rather ride around on 15's, I fall into that category!

#46 ·
Definitely go 22s unless you're going to go 20/10.5 staggered. I have 22s on my pony and it looks great. I don't have any problems. I went with a 245/45/22 tire so it tucks nicely into the wheel well. I didnt have to get a lift I can still turn without scrubbing. my only caveat is the weight. The rims are going to add a total of about 50 pounds. But wether you have a 3.8, 4.6, or a 5.0 It is still enough power to carry the extra luggage.

#47 ·
Why would anyone ever want to put 22" wheels on a Mustang when that's only half an inch smaller than the wheels that come on vehicles with nameplates like Kenworth, Peterbilt, and Mack??? Unless maybe you're also fitting your pony out to pull a 53' box . . .

Norm

#48 ·
AHHH! Zombie thread! :deadhorse:

#49 ·
Civil answer:

My 2008 had staggered 20's on it. That's about as large as would LOOK good on it.

However, consider these drawbacks to keep you from getting 22s. I've seen enough Chargers, Crown Vics, etc with them, can't say they look 'ridiculous, however their owners normally want what's commonly referred to as a DONK ride.

I originally had 17s and about 20k miles in, got my 20s. Here are the cons I noticed:
-Car was heavier, noticeably, and slower 0-60 acceleration
-Tires were more expensive
-Tires wore faster
-Spent more $$ keeping them clean, bigger rim, more you product you use to shine it (sounds stupid but when you clean twice a week, it hits your wallet quick)
-Hitting bumps hard - slightly rubbing under the wheel wells (I had stock suspension)
-Cost of rims = could've paid less for 19s and saved the extra for other mods
-Slight steering wheel shake on highway

Pros:
Lots of looks, they were big shiny rims, the whole purpose.
People stared at the wheels.
Thats about it!

Bottom line: It's you car, do whatever to it that makes you happy. If you plan on keeping the car a long time, it would be wise to note the aforementioned cons I dealt with.

#50 · (Edited)
I vote for some Niche Citrine Wheels or Niche Concourse Wheels in a 22x9.5 with a Continental Extreme Contact DWS Ultra High Performance All-Season in a size 265/30-22 tire.

If you are going to do 22's there is no half way. Go look at some Audi a6 and A8 s that the not many seem to recognize as wearing 21 or 22's and make sure your measurements work. Hope you have some $$$ to spend cuz if u dont it will turn heads for all the wrong reasons as you can see from many posts.

Good luck with your Mustang.

Attachments

#52 ·

Attachments

#53 ·
Why would anyone put something on their car that hurts performance, makes it ride like a barn truck, and looks plain silly...? And I'm definitely not interested in the chicks that 22" wheels attract...lol.

#55 ·
I vote to close this thread.

#58 ·
22s on my pony and they don't stick out at all. No scrub. No lower. No lift. So I don't know what yal are talkin about and if you've never even owned a 22" rim you don't know either. You're just going off assumptions. 31 inch tires???! That's nonsense.. Who does that :/

Attachments

#62 ·
Let's refresh our memory about how this thread started, m'kay?

Does anyone have 22" wheels on their 2011 5.0 mustang? Are there any problems with 22" wheels? I'm trying to decide if I should go with 20" and lowering or just pull out the 22" wheels?

anyone?
BMR4 - OP asked for comment and in mentioning "Are there any problems with" accepted the possibility that the replies would not all be favorable. One obvious problem here is the known lack of universal acceptance, and asking a question publicly always carries some risk. IOW, people who are overly sensitive to criticism need not apply, or something like that. Maybe they should be careful what they read, even.

Really, how does simply asking a question or two become a requirement that you must agree with where you think the question is headed before you are allowed to respond? I would absolutely expect you to disagree with some of the things I would always do and opinions that I'm unlikely to change at this point in my life, should I throw something out there for public discussion. A forum that deteriorates into becoming a mutual admiration society for anything and everything would be a forum not worth spending any time on.

Norm

#66 ·
Annnnd this one comes to an endrulez.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.