Lower control arm relocation brackets really nesessary? - Page 7 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

At one point in this thread I said I'm not getting the brackets but I ended up doing it anyways just b/c I thought I'd try it. It did make a difference BUT I had the rear LCA's, brackets and adj panhard installed all at the same time. I'm glad I did it as I'm sure it all contributes but my traction is way better now

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Garage
Has anyone seen any drawings/layouts or math behind the set up of the LCA with relocating bracket? Would be interesting to see the dynamics numbers between the relations of torque applied vs the different LCA angles from the relocating bracket. Sorry mechanical engineering back ground like to know what is "actually" going on not just know it just works.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It's a bit more complicated than just the LCA inclinations. You also need to know the inclination of the UCA. From there you can establish the location of the Side View Instant Center (SVIC - most of the drag racers shorten this to simply "IC" because they aren't too concerned with the Front View ICs).

% antisquat can be calculated once you've determined the SVIV location, know the wheelbase, and can at least reasonably estimate the CG height. Strictly speaking, you'd work with the CG height of only the sprung mass (unless wheelstanding).

I know that some of the pricier books (Milliken & Milliken's "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics") and at least one of the softcover books (Puhn's "How To Make Your Car Handle") provide illustrations of the side view geometry for various rear suspension arrangements, and it is possible to construct mathematical models from those. It is also possible to model in the PHB or Watts link and determine things like roll center height and axle roll steer.

All that can be done in Excel, including a geometry plot.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)

Apprentice

Garage
Hmm I might check out "How to make your car handle" since Milliken's book seems a little pricy but might come in handy later. Probably wouldn't be to difficult pared with my dynamics and control system books from college.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyX View Post
Has anyone seen any drawings/layouts or math behind the set up of the LCA with relocating bracket? Would be interesting to see the dynamics numbers between the relations of torque applied vs the different LCA angles from the relocating bracket. Sorry mechanical engineering back ground like to know what is "actually" going on not just know it just works.
If you simply want to know the torque applied vs various LCA angles it possibly is as simple as the force x the distance to the center of the axle. Thus why using lowest hole in relocation bracket there is more chance of the plug welds attaching the axle tubes from failing at the connection to the pumpkin. Maybe that is not what your question was about.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Another book (softcover) is William Mathis' "Mustang Performance Handbook 2". Being newer, it might be easier to find.

By pure coincidence, the copy of Mark Ortiz's "Chassis Newsletter" I received just this morning included a spreadsheet for the triangulated 4-link suspension, which for side view/anti-squat purposes has a construction identical to what you'd do for the S197's 3-link. I haven't had time to check it against a similar sheet of my own design (the Newsletter sheet has plots, mine does not, at least not yet).

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page