Max boost on Coyote?? - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: What brand Forced Induction would you put on your Coyote if money were not a concern?
Kenne Bell 23 35.38%
Vortech 6 9.23%
Whipple 23 35.38%
Procharger 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

Any Suggestions? Max boost on Coyote??

I have a couple of questions regarding the Coyote engine. First, what is the max boost that it can handle from twin screws like Whipple/Kenne Bell on stock internals? Second, I understand that the entirety of the engine is forged except the piston heads, as they are Hypereutectic. Is there any truth to this? Third, using the following kit, or any similar to it, would I have to change out any of the internals, and what would those be?

Whipple 2011 5.0L Mustang GT 2.9L Supercharger Tuner Kit (Black) [WK-200784B] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I plan on making this my deployment gift from when I come back from Afghanistan (I leave soon enough) so I am not afraid to spend money. Hell I bought the car as a gift from last deployment!

2011 5.0 coupe - Sterling Grey Metallic.
Mods:
-Roush CAI, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
Future mods:
-Steeda Ultralite Springs, SLP Offroad X Pipe w/ Longtube Headers, Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Rear Shock Tower Brace, Swarr Bar w/ Subframe Connectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
PONY Member

This is really a loaded question as it depends on many things.

The tune must be solid (no knock), at any boost level.

It depends on how much you beat on it....

It depends on the condition of your engine from factory (any flaws that might show up with higher internal stress etc...)

No one has boosted one of these engines for 100K+, how long is a acceptable amount of time to you?

IMO 10 PSI with a conservative spark curve should be reliable for quite a while with average use.

2011 Mustang GT Premium 400A: Black/Black, Brembo Pack, Comfort Pack, 3.55s, 6 Speed MT, GT500/CS Rear diffuser & roost guards.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

I think that 10 psi out of a pd blower for agressive driving is asking for trouble. I much rather see 10psi out of a centri or a turbo because of the cooler iat. If you add meth to a pd then it would be just as safe as the other options but you are still pushing it. And you will always have to uave catastrophic failure oj your mind. Stay under 550 whp if you want some peace of mind.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2011 Musang GT 6MT. Ford Racing 4.10 gears, TA Rear End Girdle, Boss 302 intake manifold, O/R x pipe, Ford Racing K springs, upr pro-series lca/uca/mount NGK 6510 gap to 0.32, ID 1000 injectors, KB Boost a pump, Paxton novi2200sl w 3.6 inch pulley 10psi. tuned by lund racing. unknown power.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
GT Member

For what it’s worth…

If you look at the Ford Racing Performance Parts kits for the new 5.0... The seven pound kit comes with a 12/12000 warranty and the nine pound kit doesn't, Ford has done the testing for FRPP…

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
Apprentice

i have the 624 frpp kit. have put about 3500 miles on it with heavy dd in florida(very hot climate) and no issues. i go pretty easy on it but i have faith it will hold up. and i do not believe the entirety of the engine is forged, in fact i believe very few parts are forged. but if the car couldnt take the kit then they wouldnt have put it on the market.

2011 GT, 6MT, Frpp 624 supercharger, ASA wheels, Continental extreme contact DW 275 rear 255 front, custom suede interior, black billet grille, black billet 5.0 emblems, custom sound system, RAM 9.5" twin disc clutch, frpp lowering P springs, K&N drop in filter, dynotech aluminum driveshaft, JBA catback, JBA x pipe.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
Rookie

Inquiring mind also want to know too. Would hate to drop $$$ on a SC and have the guts of my engine drop all over the green light.

Not buying this car to drag, but not going to shy away from a straight line either.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
PONY Member

I'm at 10 psi for street use. I'm going to be doing some testing with race gas and 13 psi.....

2004 SY Cobra, Pulley, CAI, Exhaust, Baer Brakes (458 rwhp & 479 rwtq) Projected completion June 2012

2011 RaceRed 5.0 6M; Brembo's, HIDs, Security, & 3.73s; 738 rwhp & 531 rwtq - Sold

2012 Limited Expedition EL
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSector View Post
This is really a loaded question as it depends on many things.
agreed... this question is loaded but if your money is of no concern then why not buy the most $$$ blower out there. BUT with a suggested retail$7499.00 and figure at least $1000.00 to install a whipple the military hazard pay must be WAY better then i remember.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011
Apprentice

Considering the price of some of these blowers sometimes I wish I would have just gone the distance and got the GT500.

2012 GT500
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRXSTI View Post
Considering the price of some of these blowers sometimes I wish I would have just gone the distance and got the GT500.
It's the twin screws that cost an arm and a leg. You can get into a pretty sweet Vortech or Procharged setup for a lot less and still get excellent results. So much that you'll be glad you didn't spend the dough on a Shelby.

Jared

LETHAL PERFORMANCE, INC.
877-2LETHAL
LETHAL
performance.com
Whipple Supercharger's Largest US Distributor
The Fuel System Guru's!!
SPECIAL ALLFORDMUSTANGS DISCOUNT: USE COUPON CODE ALLFORDS when checking out.
Apprentice

Complete Kits can be had for 5k, thats what I paid for a 'Slightly' used kit (New last Feburary)...See my post fr a few hours ago on the Install and first drives... :-) I'm at a Safe 9.5-10PSI...

2011 Race Red Auto
RoushCharged Vert
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's the twin screws that cost an arm and a leg. You can get into a pretty sweet Vortech or Procharged setup for a lot less and still get excellent results. So much that you'll be glad you didn't spend the dough on a Shelby.

Jared
Couldn't have said it better myself Jared. I'll take my procharger annnnnd keep my wallet 2k fatter. Thank you.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
For what it’s worth…

If you look at the Ford Racing Performance Parts kits for the new 5.0... The seven pound kit comes with a 12/12000 warranty and the nine pound kit doesn't, Ford has done the testing for FRPP…
There's a blower in my fairly near future, probably one of these, and right away noted this as well...tells me they have a measurable level of confidence in the drivetrain with a 25% power uprate (525), but not so much in a 50 (624). Clutch and axles aren't bad (clutch likely a must), possibly a rear end, but it'd be a bummer to roast this transmission.

Read about the performance of the GT-350 w/the 525HP blower?

3.7 sec to 60 and 12.0 qtr @ 121+...I'm thinking that'll do me just fine. (note Shelby comes right out and tells you if you opt for the 624 it voids the power train warranty).

I've downloaded and printed off the install instructions for the FR Super pack...same set for both blowers, including the parts list. Disappointed that with it I couldn't determine the difference between the 2 kits, other than that it's only $300...which in itself is very seductive. The parts section that includes the blower and pully doesn't actually list part #'s, but in their place in that column, lists NPN...assuming no part number. Note that the FR site states they build these to order.

Have written my serv mgr regarding prices, including install, and if he could tell me the diff between the 2 kits...ie if the blowers are actually the same but pullys and maybe throttle body are only difference, but have yet to hear back from him.

When I drop this much coin, would be real nice to know before hand whether without much additional cost, I could upgrade the 525 to 624 specs after beefing up drive train and maybe connecting rods.

Also reading about a gent who bought a 2.9l Whipple w/8 and 10# pullies (think made for the 5.4l GT500 motor) in a 5.0...w/is interesting. Perhaps another option, still researching.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
Apprentice

I'm intrigued by the Edelbrock unit. It uses the Eaton TVS rotors and 5.0 magazine got 466hp/436 tq at low boost 4.5 psi, baseline was 344 so a nice 120 hp jump. It's 50 state legal and they offer a warranty.

They also have an upgraded unit at 6psi and cold air kit that made 636 flywheel on the engine dyno. I'd like to see some RWHP numbers for that setup. You can also get smaller pulleys to up the boost. This seems like a real nice setup for a street driven car.

If anyone on here is running one of these please post some results.

Edelbrock.com - E-Force Superchargers - Fuel Injected - Street Legal Kit

E-Force Coyote Blower - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS 6MT | 3.73 | HID | Security
-Roush AB, Grabberpony Grabber Blue shift knob, DG Customs quarter window louvers, stripes removed & 5.0 emblems added

375 rwhp / 361 rwtq - stock

Delivered 3/29/11
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Jared
thanks for chiming in jared... thats some impressive comment from whipple supercharger's largest distributor.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page