traction control and advance track light came on - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Bumping this thread because it happened to me yesterday. It rained yesterday but wasn't raining when I left work. The roads were wet but not soaked. I always turn off advance trac when I drive the car but yesterday I just put it in sport mode. I'm pulling out of the plant on a long straight road easing through the gears shifting about 3500. No spin whatsoever and at the top of 3rd fixing to shift when I see the traction control light start blinking and I think, what's it blinking for, I'm not spinning. About 2 seconds after that the car lurches into the left lane and it feels like I have a flat. Then I notice the engine sputtering and backfiring and then lurches to the right. I get control of the car and feather the gas and no response from the motor. I then realize whats going on, advance trac is trying to kill me. I hit the button and turn everything back on but it's still alternating the brakes and pulling me left and right. The motor's still misfiring and I start to pull off to the side and everything just stops acting up and goes back to normal. I shift into second and pull away. I tried to recreate it several times withing the next few miles but couldn't. The whole episode lasted maybe 15 to 20 seconds but really caught me off guard at first. There's no use in taking it in if I can't reacreate the problem. Just wanted to post it for everybody else.

2011 Ingot Silver GT MT82, MGW, Lethal H pipe, Bama 93R Ghost Cam, 3:73's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearjunky View Post
Bumping this thread because it happened to me yesterday. It rained yesterday but wasn't raining when I left work. The roads were wet but not soaked. I always turn off advance trac when I drive the car but yesterday I just put it in sport mode. I'm pulling out of the plant on a long straight road easing through the gears shifting about 3500. No spin whatsoever and at the top of 3rd fixing to shift when I see the traction control light start blinking and I think, what's it blinking for, I'm not spinning. About 2 seconds after that the car lurches into the left lane and it feels like I have a flat. Then I notice the engine sputtering and backfiring and then lurches to the right. I get control of the car and feather the gas and no response from the motor. I then realize whats going on, advance trac is trying to kill me. I hit the button and turn everything back on but it's still alternating the brakes and pulling me left and right. The motor's still misfiring and I start to pull off to the side and everything just stops acting up and goes back to normal. I shift into second and pull away. I tried to recreate it several times withing the next few miles but couldn't. The whole episode lasted maybe 15 to 20 seconds but really caught me off guard at first. There's no use in taking it in if I can't reacreate the problem. Just wanted to post it for everybody else.

I've not had it happen again to me. I did have my tires road force balanced by dealership because they were off quite a bit. Not sure if that is what caused mine to go weird or not.

PONY Member

Mine started doing this out front of a Ford dealership of all places this afternoon, they kept it overnight. Car started pulling left and right and power cut on a busy highway, almost sideswiped some old lady in the next lane. Hopefully this get resolved ASAP! Any TSB's I should mention?

2012 GT Premium,Ingot Silver, MT82, Brembo Package, 3.73,MGW Shifter,GT500 Spoiler,GT500 A/B's

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearjunky View Post
Almost identical to my experience, same car except mines an MT82. Roads completely dry too and happened in third going 35-40!

2012 GT Premium,Ingot Silver, MT82, Brembo Package, 3.73,MGW Shifter,GT500 Spoiler,GT500 A/B's
PONY Member

Nope. And hopefully (but unlikely) they pull codes. They never found anything wrong with my car, so I learned to live with it.
Apprentice

The dealer pulled the codes when they changed the factory tune for my 373's. It said something about loss of communication or something like that. Hasn't done it since.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarms1 View Post
Almost identical to my experience, same car except mines an MT82. Roads completely dry too and happened in third going 35-40!

I've got an MT82.

PONY Member

Just got the car back, service department could not duplicate it or find any errors. Drove it home fine, keeping my cell's video camera on standby for the next week when I'm driving.

Rookie

My advance trac started malfunctioning soon after buying the car new. The car would start pulling to one side and acting strange. I could see the ABS & Trac Control lights come on briefly then a message on the Message Center saying "Service Advance Trac". I could turn the Advance Trac off and it would be ok but as soon as I turned it on the same problems again.
It took 2 trips to the dealer (3 days each time) but they finally found the problem. The wires to one of the rear ABS sensors was too close to the exhaust pipe and was starting to melt. They replaced the wire and problem solved.

Newsletter Editor -
Mustang Club of Tampa
Rookie

this happened to me once as well.....only once so far and im at 3000 miles or so....
PONY Member

OP,
I think its because your tires are still cold.
Whats the outsite temp when it happend? You posted at around 10th month of they year so im guessing it was starting to get cold.
This ussaly happens to me on both my stangs more so in the shelby in the morning. As i pull out from my gates i ussaly hear the lovely sound of my tires swishing about for grip and the light goes on lol. eventually it stops and then the grip is instant.
On the shelby though you can tell the tires are warm when instead of swishing sound you start to hear squeeling tires when you get on it a bite more.
The V6 seems to just grip grip grip when the tires are warm unless the road sucks.

I dont want to complicate this but; the degree of throttle input, external temp, tire temp, and rate of tire cooling can determine how often this happens. Of course the relationship of all thouse factors with one anouther will show its frequency, ie. cooler external temp will increase the rate of the tire cooling.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I had this similar issue and it turned out to be one of my wheel speed sensors causing the malfunction. Took a couple hours to fix and the dealership...
PONY Member

Question What is to be expected by turning off Advance trak ??

I always try to remember turning off TC. It is intrusive on the shifting. I held the button down to turn off Advancetrak once, but noticed nothing. I go out in good weather mostly. BUT when I blew away an M3 on a wet curve the Advacetrak probably saved me. Next time I go to my local canyon I'll try it with Advancetrak in both modes and get back to 'ya. I'm pretty sure experienced drivers turn BOTH off for extreme race conditions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Do these systems ever turn themselves back on - say, after getting one wheel in the air ?
Rookie

You guys are not alone, I really tried to figure out what was going on in my situation though, so I pulled out of my neighborhood (2012 M6 5.0) and gave half throttle and all the sudden my TCS is freaking out, vehicle cuts out power, and engages the breaks not in unison, this throwing me all over the place, such a dangerous situation, have an appointment this Saturday with service, I'm sure they will just tell me everything is fine, I'm so disappointed with this vehicle thus far.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mford414 View Post
this throwing me all over the place, such a dangerous situation.
hehehe,
Sounds like an old Lambo i know of lol.
But then again, that is the attraction of Lambos.
Is that they try to kill you now and then hahahahahaahaha!

You are doing it right anyway taking it to the dealer, PM a fomoco rep im sure they will help u out with it even more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page