traction control and advance track light came on - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

traction control and advance track light came on

Started car this morning and let warm up for few minutes. Backed out and started down road...car felt like I had a bubble or something in one of the front tires so pulled over and looked....all was well. Started driving some more(less than 20mph) and the traction control light and advance light came on(whatever that's called). I thought wtf....maybe it was because I had changed my steering wheel to sport? So changed it back to "standard" and in a minute or so the lights went off. Any ideas? It still has a slight shale to the from but its hardly noticeable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Maybe it was a freak thing I dunno. Suppose I'll just bring it into the dealer, but fear they wont find anything out since no lights are on anymore.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Funny this should happen to you right now. I cranked up to go to lunch and pulled out of the driveway. As I accelerated to about 30mph the traction control activated and the system started applying brakes to one of the front tires. When I stepped on the brakes the pedal chattered, which told me the antiskid was activated. When I came to a stop the light went out and everything went back to normal. The only thing different from the past is that temps are getting into the 40's here.

2014 V6 Auto, black, Performance Package, 102a, Dynotech drive shaft, brakes: Wilwood Superlite (front), adj. panhard; 3.73 gear; Steeda Sport Springs; Steeda sway bar.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Attached is the photo I tool this morning just as it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-03 05.37.32.jpg
Views:	7316
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	140538  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
PONY Member

Good job with the quick pic...Have you been able to duplicate the issue? Like you said and hopefully it was just a freak thing. Worth having the dealer check it out or make him record the event for future if needed.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Def still take it to the dealer, might be some history codes stored. plus like CTfiveo said it's worth having the dealer note this just incase any future problems arise.

2012 Mustang GT
Kona Blue
MT-82
Brembo package
3.73's

No frills base model here, just a V8, cloth seats, and a man pedal.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
PONY Member

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.. but it was ABS and Advancetrack.

Car was sitting for a day outside in the rain. Backed out and all the lights went on. I drove about 15 miles and stopped for gas. When I started the car the lights were off. I disabled TC and gave the tires a little spin. The TC came on for a second.. and all was well after that.

The only other time I've had that happen was when I put my 07 4.0 on a dynamometer. I forgot to turn the TC off and it freaked out.

I got the TC error light to turn off by spinning the tires a little as I drove off.

I would pass it off as random gremlins having fun unless it happens again. These systems are complicated and can get a glitch or two when "booting up".

Build2 2011 Kona Blue GT. Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Glass Roof.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.. but it was ABS and Advancetrack.

Car was sitting for a day outside in the rain. Backed out and all the lights went on. I drove about 15 miles and stopped for gas. When I started the car the lights were off. I disabled TC and gave the tires a little spin. The TC came on for a second.. and all was well after that.

The only other time I've had that happen was when I put my 07 4.0 on a dynamometer. I forgot to turn the TC off and it freaked out.

I got the TC error light to turn off by spinning the tires a little as I drove off.

I would pass it off as random gremlins having fun unless it happens again. These systems are complicated and can get a glitch or two when "booting up".
I hope it was just gremlins...someone else posted that even though his was in sports mode in his 2011...when he turns car off and cranks it auto goes back into standard mode. Mine was still in sports mode when I cranked the car this morning...maybe that was the case? I left it in standard mode tonight and will see if it does it again. If not I'll put in sports mode tomorrow night and see if it stays in sports mode when I crank it on wednesday morning to see if the lights come on again.

I have one guy I really trust at the dealership since he is a good friend so have an appointment later this week to just get it checked out.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well was in standard mode this morning. Pulled out of driveway to feel the same exact "bump" like feel, but no lights came on. For about 3 miles it was like this and then went away with no lights coming on. I called dealership and bringing it in wednesday evening. My friend will look at it thursday morning. Of coarse first thing they will do is a roadforce balance, but from what others have stated in other threads that didnt fix the "shake" issue from 55mph and up. They have to start somewhere though.
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Same thing happened to me. I took it in to the dealer. Long story short? Eventually the car stopped doing it after 20 min. of driving slow around the side streets. The Auto-Tracking control device in these cars is very touchy. Dealer ran all the codes, everything was normal. They said hitting a speed-bump too hard, or curbing your car going in or out of a driveway, or hitting a pothole can cause the Advance-Trac to slip and "think" you're losing traction in normal conditions. The breaks pumping and all that crap is the Advance-Trac "relearning" and correcting itself. Its a good theory I guess...

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...rol-issue.html

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
-1970 BOSS 302 - Dearborn built, Numbers matching 302 engine bored .030 over and stroked to 331. Grabber Blue
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vschaos View Post
Well was in standard mode this morning. Pulled out of driveway to feel the same exact "bump" like feel, but no lights came on. For about 3 miles it was like this and then went away with no lights coming on. I called dealership and bringing it in wednesday evening. My friend will look at it thursday morning. Of coarse first thing they will do is a roadforce balance, but from what others have stated in other threads that didnt fix the "shake" issue from 55mph and up. They have to start somewhere though.
Does the "shake" only happen in Sport Mode? If it does.. they are going to say its normal. If it is in Sport Mode.. next time you feel the shake.. press the TC button and I bet you the shake will disappear.

Build2 2011 Kona Blue GT. Premium, Brembo Package, 3.73, Glass Roof.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
Does the "shake" only happen in Sport Mode? If it does.. they are going to say its normal. If it is in Sport Mode.. next time you feel the shake.. press the TC button and I bet you the shake will disappear.
It happens in any mode. I noticed in standard mode so tried in sport mode and still was shaking. I tried hitting TC button and shake was still present. Basically in any setting I put it in I have the shake from 55mph and on up.
PONY Member

Im having this same problem, brought it in 3 times to dealer, they replaced the restraint control module, but this didnt fix it. I actually started lemon law on it, but cant decide if I want to go through with it as it does it maybe once a month. Dealer cant reproduce it, and I cant on demand either, it is completely random. I did catch 2 vids of it though.
This one you can hear the brakes pulsating faintly and the light blinks once.
Abs activating no reason. - YouTube

This one the Advancetrac light comes on several times for no reason.
Advacetrac coming on, on its own. - YouTube

Most of the time it doesnt come on very hard and is manageable for the few seconds it does. But last night I was accelerating hard and lost power and the front right and rear left ABS came on hard, pulling me to the right. I had to counter steer hard to avoid going off road. I really like my car, and really want to avoid jumping through all the hoops of going lemon law on it. Not sure what to do....
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I got my car back and all is well....at least at this point. My friend who worked on the car road balanced the front tires. The front left was not "road forced"...whatever that means and the front right was not balanced correctly being .25 off. After the balance everything is smooth past 55mph with no issues. Going into sport mode showed no shaking as well.

I do say that my 2012 has a MUCH tighter steering than any 2011 I test drove. I am guessing the EPAS or whatever its called was updated? My build date is august 2011.
PONY Member

I filed a complaint with NTHSA, I hope others will my same problem does too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page