3.73s installed (3.31 previousLy) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

3.73s installed (3.31 previousLy)

Just had my ford racing 3.73s installed today. I paid $300 for the labor and then little more for fluids. Shop did a good job considering there is no whine whatsoever. I have only got on it once and didn't stay in it long because I wanna break things in. I can say the improvement is impressive. The car now barks the tires going into 4th gear. With the 3.31s it would bark in second and third. Cruising on the freeway is still pleasant as I figured it would be with a six speed. Overall I'm happy with the swap and hopefully I'll get some new track times on Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
PONY Member

[quote=Jessethompson;2757885]Just had my ford racing 3.73s installed today. I paid $300 for the labor and then little more for fluids. Shop did a good job considering there is no whine whatsoever. I have only got on it once and didn't stay in it long because I wanna break things in. I can say the improvement is impressive. The car now barks the tires going into 4th gear. With the 3.31s it would bark in second and third. Cruising on the freeway is still pleasant as I figured it would be with a six speed. Overall I'm happy with the swap and hopefully I'll get some new track times on Friday.[

Did you use any particular brand or type of fluid? Also, did you go with the Ford Racing brand for your gears?:?:

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
Jesse--I did the exact same thing too my gears--from3.31's to 3.73's--I ran mine for about150 miles to break in--I guess the first 50 is important.. I have no whine either=I changed the lube after 500 miles.. used Royal Purple . Now after a couple thousand miles--I love 'em..Gets to rev limit VERY fast..Good luck

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

yeah, I just did mine too...you should see it with boost...wow, you don't ever want to stop driving
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

[QUOTE=CTfiveo;2757896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessethompson View Post
Just had my ford racing 3.73s installed today. I paid $300 for the labor and then little more for fluids. Shop did a good job considering there is no whine whatsoever. I have only got on it once and didn't stay in it long because I wanna break things in. I can say the improvement is impressive. The car now barks the tires going into 4th gear. With the 3.31s it would bark in second and third. Cruising on the freeway is still pleasant as I figured it would be with a six speed. Overall I'm happy with the swap and hopefully I'll get some new track times on Friday.[

Did you use any particular brand or type of fluid? Also, did you go with the Ford Racing brand for your gears?:?:
I used ford racing gears and the shop put in royal purple gear oil. As of now I need to figure out if I wanna stay with the boss manifold I have now or go back to stock. I'm not sure if the high end power is worth some of the low end loses. I have had people tell me they lost time in the 1/4 with it, one guy said he lost 2 tenths with it na and pick up 2 tenths when he sprayed it. Anyone with experience on this?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
PONY Member

[quote=Jessethompson;2757967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTfiveo View Post

I used ford racing gears and the shop put in royal purple gear oil. As of now I need to figure out if I wanna stay with the boss manifold I have now or go back to stock. I'm not sure if the high end power is worth some of the low end loses. I have had people tell me they lost time in the 1/4 with it, one guy said he lost 2 tenths with it na and pick up 2 tenths when he sprayed it. Anyone with experience on this?
Thanks...my bad...just saw on your original post you said Ford Racing. Regarding the Boss manifold, I got the go ahead from the wife, but holding off. I rather have fun from stop sign to stop sign and on the curvy roads of New England with that extra torque.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I can say the improvement is impressive.
Glad you like it, I have also the 3.31's, test drove about 3 weeks ago a 5.0 with 3.73's and wasn't impressed at all..., in fact I could'nt even tell the difference!
I kept my 3.31's, they're perfect for me.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well, like I said before I wasn't barking tires going into 4th gear with the 331s. Now I am. It's just more of a mechanical advantage, the car is obviously gonna be faster now.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Before I bought mine, I tested a 5.0 3:31 car and wasn't impressed over my friends 4.6 with 3.73's, but when I tested the 5.0 with 3:73's I definitely was impressed and was sold.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
PONY Member

Did that $300 labor charge included recalibration of your speedo ?

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Just had my ford racing 3.73s installed today. I paid $300 for the labor and then little more for fluids. Shop did a good job considering there is no whine whatsoever. I have only got on it once and didn't stay in it long because I wanna break things in. I can say the improvement is impressive. The car now barks the tires going into 4th gear. With the 3.31s it would bark in second and third. Cruising on the freeway is still pleasant as I figured it would be with a six speed. Overall I'm happy with the swap and hopefully I'll get some new track times on Friday.
I'll be interested to see what it runs at the track. I think you'll find that it spins so easily with the 3.73s, you'll need to look at a good set of control arms to help with traction and wheel hop. We have all of the bases covered on control arms, starting with our Elite Series arms for the street, and going all the way up to our full race equipment. Here are the street arms:
2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
I'll be interested to see what it runs at the track. I think you'll find that it spins so easily with the 3.73s, you'll need to look at a good set of control arms to help with traction and wheel hop. We have all of the bases covered on control arms, starting with our Elite Series arms for the street, and going all the way up to our full race equipment. Here are the street arms:
2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products
The next time it sees the track it will be om Mickey Thompson drag radials and your control arms are on my list. I'm sure I can get it going though, I put down 1.99 60 ft times on the stock rubber.
PONY Member

3.73 does make a difference, you just have to drive them back to back. Not as fuel efficient on the highway, I don't see much more the 24 mpg

:kooky:
Past
2012 Mustang GT - Prem, 392 Rwhp
GTO ( LS2) 498rwhp ( the best car seats)
Z06 (the widest rear tires)
CTS-V :shiny: (no options left behind)
TSX ( a great commuter)
Apprentice

You gotten to be kidding right? 3.71 and 3.31 is a day and night difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Glad you like it, I have also the 3.31's, test drove about 3 weeks ago a 5.0 with 3.73's and wasn't impressed at all..., in fact I could'nt even tell the difference!
I kept my 3.31's, they're perfect for me.
Apprentice

how does the switch from the 3.31 to 3.73 affect fuel economy? I've been thinking about doing the switch as well since I see a lot of the guys that are getting the best fuel economy are using the 3.73 while the people with the 3.31 seem to be getting worst fuel economy. only thing I can think of is its easier to take off with the 3.73 from a stop than with the 3.31. do you think it would be wise for me to switch? I do mostly city driving so lots of stop and go driving.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page