Roush vs. GT500 style exhaust sound? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Roush vs. GT500 style exhaust sound?

Hi,

I installed the Roush axel-back the other day. Initially kind of cool, yeah loud! Here I come, but after the initial excitement I find that it is way too loud especially when driving with the top down or trying to have a conversation while driving in traffic (not much of a difference over stock while cruising with top on).

I guess what I really want is just something like a more throaty exhaust note and not necessarily that much louder compared to the 5.0 stock exhaust.

I was thinking about changing it to the Ford Racing GT500 style axel-back instead - I just wonder how they compare to the stock or the Roush backs in terms of note and loudness?

'11 GT Convertible Premium, Auto, Sterling Gray, 19"Aluminum Wheels. Roush Axel-Back
Past: 2007 GT Conv. Prem, Auto, Redfire clearcoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

From my research the GT500 mufflers are the way to go. Not too loud like the roush but louder then stock mufflers and no drone. That said, with a convertible you obviously will hear more than someone with a coupe.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
PONY Member

I thought the Same when I got my Roush mufflers. They were so loud I wanted to remove them so many times. But now I'm so in love I'd even marry them!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
I thought the Same when I got my Roush mufflers. They were so loud I wanted to remove them so many times.But now I'm so in love I'd even marry them!!

I only had them on for 3 days and I am already close to calling off the engagement :nogrinner

'11 GT Convertible Premium, Auto, Sterling Gray, 19"Aluminum Wheels. Roush Axel-Back
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
PONY Member

Mine lasted all of 200 miles before I bagged them .
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had the dealership put the Roush on mine as part of the sale, but quickly changed to the GT500s...you will not be dissapointed with the switch.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Wow sounds like the gt500's are the way to go! I'm older and more conservative as far as sounds are concerned (about to turn 40) certainly can't deal with drone, but want louder than stock has to offer! As in my last thread I am looking into resonator delete with stock gt mufflers first to hear the difference and then make a decision.

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
PONY Member

I thought the Roush were loud when I put them on, initially I thought too loud. But they sounded good and I love to hear them just cruising around.

After the blower, they still sound good cruising but they are crazy loud under throttle now. Two days ago I was sure they would have to go. Today after my 45 minute commute with the windows down, I'm not sure again, they sure sound sweet just cruising around.

Btw, no drone and IMHO not loud unless you're getting on it. At highway speed with the windows up they are just loud enough to cover the tire noise, with the windows down it is just wind noise.

I may still go back to stock or GT500's but the Roush are like a Siren's song, hard to resist.

One thing though, at initial startup they are loud and if you leave for work early you might be waking the neighboors.

2011 GT, VMP Roush TVS, 10.80 @ 127mph
DynoSpeedRacing, Memphis TN
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011
Apprentice

I have swapped from Roush to GT500 and am very glad I did. The GT500s were a bit more quieter than I expected, but it's so much more comfortable to drive the car now without the overwhelming sound of the Roush ABs.

2011 Roush Stage 2 - Red Candy Metallic
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I think I am going to order the GT500 ABs and see how that works out.

I pretty much drive with the top down all year around here in L.A. Under those conditions the Roush ABs are just way too loud... and yes I really like to stomp on it and I hit those revs all the time where it gets really loud. Just too loud for my taste (and maybe age... :nogrinner )

PONY Member

waking up the neighbours in the morning is definitely a problem. It is pretty loud at first start.
PONY Member

I love my ROush's. However, if you want something quiter, I totally get the GT500 route.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
PONY Member

Although GT500 mufflers are a really good cheaper option for their sound, i still think they are too stock and quiet. Roush are maybe too loud. I dont like the Borla either. Sounds too "metallic". I am curious how FRPP Sports would sound like.. I had it installed on my 2011 V6. They were really impressive.
Apprentice

I guy I work with just put a roush exhaust on his 11 GT and it is freaking loud! Sounds great and all, but I could hear him romping on it for a mile down the road. Would definitely draw too much attention from the Police around here. It really does sound good though.

2011 GT, 300a
3.31 gears, 6mt
PONY Member

You could always do the GT500 with the stock resonators removed. As many have noted the GT500 are too quiet during normal driving, but with the resonators removed, you get just the right amount of exhaust note, but without any drone.

here's my vid of cold start up with this setup. It's loud as hell initially, but after the rpms go down to normal idle they have a nice burble.

Under power, they don't get raspy either like the Roush and others I've heard, they have that muscle car growl and kick ass popping and burbling coming down from rpm.

GT500 Axle Back Exhaust with stock resonators removed - Cold Start Up and Idle - YouTube

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page