best smartphone with Sync? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

best smartphone with Sync?

I am about to take the plunge and get a smartphone. It will be an iPhone 4S or an Android phone (Bionic or Thunderbolt, most likely), but I have no allegiance. What I want to know is which phone integrates best with Sync?

I have a 2011 Mustang GT with the nav option.

I don't want to turn this into an iPhone/Android debate - I just want to know which integrates best (best features through Sync, can be accessed via Sync, can show text on the nav screen, best app for Sync, etc., etc.). If they are equal, that is fine, too. I have checked syncmyride.com, and they look about equal from what I can tell.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I dont have the nav on mine but Sync works great with my iPhone

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
MACH I Member
S197 Member

+1 on the Iphone, works great.

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
Rookie

The wife has a Droid Bionic, BTW it's an awesome phone and it's well with her focus sync

2005 LEGEND LIME V6 PYPES DUAL EXHAUST GT TAKE-OFFS, PONY PACKAGE GRILL. WINDOW LOUVERS. SEQUENTIAL LIGHTS , 18 POLISHED BULLITT WHEELS GT500 CHIN SPOPILER AIRAID CAI, PYPES HEADERS, MONSTER ENERGY STICKER
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member

My iphone works well with the sync in my wife's Escape.

2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302, Recaro/Torsen

Formerly: '02 Lightning, '12 GT Brembo/3:73, '15 GTPP premium
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
Rookie

My iphone works great. I can be a bit "challenged" at times with electronics, but I had zero problems syncing my iphone.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
PONY Member

I have a droidx and the wife has a droid. Both synced up easily and work great.

I can't find a single smart phone that does text over bluetooth. If you look at the ford list of phones that work with that feature they are all really old phones. None of the apple or droid phones support that feature.

2012 Candy Red GT Premium
2006 Corvette Z06
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I have a blackberry in the stang, and the wife uses the iphone in the expy, both cars have navi as well. Haven't had issues with either, but i have heard that sync can read the texts received on some droid phones. Haven't seen it first hand, but there definitely is a text message feature on both our cars that does not work with either of our phones.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
Rookie

Pretty sure you should have a list of phones included in your sync manual that are compatible. It is extensive. Wife has an iphone which works great. I have a Samsung Galaxy S that does not work so great but it is not listed as a compatible phone.

My next phone will most likely by an iphone.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiater View Post
Pretty sure you should have a list of phones included in your sync manual that are compatible. It is extensive. Wife has an iphone which works great. I have a Samsung Galaxy S that does not work so great but it is not listed as a compatible phone.

My next phone will most likely by an iphone.
Mine Galaxy S doesnt work well in my friends focus but no idea about the stang (shouldnt matter anyway) since it arrives Monday.
PONY Member

where is the ford SYNC expert?

There was a Ford Rep in here who specialized in electronics/sync, I saw him on 1 thread and then he seemed to disappear! Sync has been such a disapointment to me, no apps, no apparent development, and my main question is what phone does work with texting in the sync display? I too have only seen references to older phones

Any help from FoMoCo?

2011GTKonaBlueMTPremium/Comfort/BMRTubularFrontLowerControlarms
TallHDballjoints/QA1bumpsteerkit/EibachFrontAdjSwaybar/EibachRearAdjSwaybar
AR1-7/8longTubes/Magnaflo Catback/EibachProStreetCoilovers/MMcamber/casterplates
UMI DbleAdjLCAs/UMIloweringbracket/UMI DbleAdjPanhard/GriggsRearTorqueTube(eliminatesUpperControlArm)
JLT CAI/JohnLund 93Tune/Baer6PistonCalipers/14"slottedCrossdrilled2piece rotors
BlackChromeFR500s Nitto295rear 275front
CarbonFiber interior Bartonshortthrow/bracket
Apprentice

I have the windows 7 phone. It works with the text messaging. It did not at first, but I did the most recent update to the phone and the text feature started working.

It's pretty cool, shows a little message box on the display, then you push the radio play button and it reads the text. It does sound like a 10 year old illiterate drunk but it's pretty cool gimmicky feature.
Apprentice

I ve had both an android and iPhone with my sync and the both seemed to work about the same except that occasionally with my iPhone it reports phone book not available which never happened with android. I don't think it makes much difference - pick the phone you like better.

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
PONY Member

Don't get an Evo 4G. They have a lot of issues with Sync.

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
PONY Member

I have the Samsung Infuse/Droid format...horrible. My iPhone I had prior worked great. I have had to reset it and re link it almost every day I have wanted to use it. Wish I had gotten an iPhone again.

2011 Mustang GT Premium Package, Candy Red, Security Pkg
Mods to Date; Vortech V3 Supercharged/Intercooled/9 lb boost, JLT Blow through intake, Tial 50mm Race BOV, K & N Breathers, JPC RACING Tuned,Vortech Boost A Pump, TREMEC Magnum T56 Magnum, Mcleod RST twin clutch, Upgraded clutch line,Modular flywheel, Aluminum Driveshaft,Borla ATAK Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs,Adjustable Panhard,Raxiom Halo lights, Raxiom tail lights, GT/CS 19 inch wheels,LED Boost Guage, PLX Kiwi wideband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
android , iphone , phone , sync

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page