Engaging 3rd gear at high RPMs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Engaging 3rd gear at high RPMs

I encountered an STi the other day and ended up toying around with him a little. I redlined in 2nd and went to shift into 3rd and mis-shifted. This has been an ongoing problem since I first purchased the vehicle, but the problem only occurs at WOT.

What would be a cure for this? A shifter bushing maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
GT Member

Quote:
What would be a cure for this?

Automatic

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Well you shouldnt be engaging ANY gear at WOT!!your supposed to let off the gas and push the clutch all the way down

Just an old ford...

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

This probably ended up on a subaru forum kill section lol

Just an old ford...

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
PONY Member
V6 Member

learning to power shift correctly hahaha :kooky:
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
PONY Member

In my dads case the problem would be not knowing how to drive a stick shift at speeds in excess of 35mph... guess theirs a reason that 100 miles have been put on it in 3 years

1990 Mustang LX Convertible 5.0l-Mine- Edelbrock Performer RPMII Intake, Edelbrock 70mm Throttle Body, AEM cold air intake, 75mm Maf, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Trick flow stage 1 cam, 255lph fuel pump, Kirban fuel pressure regulator, Smog Delete, BBK ceramic coated headers, Mac off road H, Flowmaster Super 44's with Flowmaster 3 inch tailpipe kit, Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.73 gears with carbon fiber T lock rebuild.

2001 Cobra 4.6l-Dads- SLP Loudmouth exhaust
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Let me rephrase that...

I wasn't powershifting, attempting to powershift, or anything of that sort. It was a normal shift. Foot wasn't on the gas, just a regular granny shift yet every time I mimick that shift under the same circumstances it always results in a mis-shift.

Here's what it looks like...

WOT in 2nd to redline, foot off gas, clutch down, shift from 2nd to 3rd -Shifting 101

But thanks for the sarcasm guys!

And btw, STi's are AWD. Better traction off the line.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
PONY Member

I've had that problem myself. Turned a 12.5 run into a 13.94 run by slamming against the gate between 3 and 5, then eventually shifting into 5. Very frustrating.

I think my problem is that I'm still afraid enough of shifting back into 1st that I'm still guiding it too far right. I have to make sure to place my arm directly behind the shifter and push straight up, and let the centering springs do their job.

The MT-82 does have very narrow gates. This problem is only exacerbated by a short-shifter (like I might sorta have).

2012 GT Premium Coupe 6MT
Kona Blue | Black/Grabber Blue
401A | 3.55 | BBP | CP | SP | EP | GR | HID | RVC | RSS | "Piss 5ohwhoa off"
Delivered 07MAR11
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I assume after you miss the shift that if you return the stick to the neutral position and allow it to center itself and then slide it straight up with the clutch depressed, it will go into third, yes?

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Don't manhandle the shifter.

It's a little tough to do, but shift with a quick flick of the wrist.

2011 Kona Blue 5.0 / 400A / MT82 / 3.55 / Brembo Pkg / Comfort Pkg / Security Pkg
Mods: Stuff
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
Automatic
does that come with a free jar to keep your newly removed testicles in?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

Apprentice

Dont matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning. +1 for the Subaru

2012 GT500
Grimace427

2-3 shift = open palm pushing shifter straight forward. Let the centering spring do it's job. If that is not good enough, look into getting a polyurethane shifter bushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRXSTI View Post
Dont matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning. +1 for the Subaru
Did the Scoobie actually win?
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Dont worry it's just a matter of practice.I made several passes at the track just concentrating on shifting and it helped a lot.

Just use a open palm and push the shifter forward into 3rd.I have the MGW shifter and It's a awesome shifter but I had no problem shifting with the stocker.

If you want to try a bracket just pm me I have a Steeda with bushing that I never installed.

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
Apprentice

I've noticed when I do a 3-4 shift at WOT, sometimes I'll hit the gate so I've started paying more attention and I noticed that for some reason I'm not pulling straight back (adrenaline maybe?). You might just need to focus on doing what the others have mentioned and letting the centering spring do what it was built to do....

2011 Mustang GT Prem - Sterling Grey - Black Interior - Comfort/Security - Epco Shift Knob - Roush A/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page