2011 Mustang 5.0 Mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up 2011 Mustang 5.0 Mods

Hey guys the current mods I have.

1) Borla S-Type cat back exhaust including X pipe.
2) Steeda cold Air intake
3) SCT tuner

Mods thinking about getting soon.

1) BBK OR Borla long tube headers ( Not sure which ones, if anyone has a recommendation I would appreciate it.)

2) Short through Shifter ( I was looking at the Barton Industries Short Shifter with the extra mount. Let me know what you guys recommend.)

3) Any other mods you guys could recommend and opinions would be much appreciated thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

Shifter good:
Long tubes: Will they pass emissions?
Good luck

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
PONY Member

Don't have any knowledge about headers or shifters but u could work on other components like lowering the car, lighter wheels, better tires.

12' RR GT | FORD RACING | JBA | CERVINI | ROUSH | KONI | H&R | 3DCARBON | C&L | AMRs | BREMBO | CDC

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
Shifter good:
Long tubes: Will they pass emissions?
Good luck
Yep you might have an issue with Longtubes out there in CA. I know here in Phoenix they dont like them and you all have stricter emissions than we do.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
Apprentice

Headers: American Racing
Shifter: Im holding out for the release of MGW's 2011 short throw
Just my .02 cents

2011 5.0- SCT,ARH Longtube Headers,Borla ATAKS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
Apprentice

OK, you've got the power mods, now do suspension!

This car can do more than fast in a straight line...add LCA's, adj. panhard, springs, struts, etc.

Like mentioned above, ditch the heavy stock wheels too and add 275 rubber all around.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbardr89 View Post
Hey guys the current mods I have.

1) Borla S-Type cat back exhaust including X pipe.
2) Steeda cold Air intake
3) SCT tuner

Mods thinking about getting soon.

1) BBK OR Borla long tube headers ( Not sure which ones, if anyone has a recommendation I would appreciate it.)

2) Short through Shifter ( I was looking at the Barton Industries Short Shifter with the extra mount. Let me know what you guys recommend.)

3) Any other mods you guys could recommend and opinions would be much appreciated thanks...

Also consider suspension/traction mods.

Control arms:
2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

Lowering Springs:
2005-2011 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

Adjustable panhard bar:
2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

Wider wheels & tires always help the traction situation as well!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011
PONY Member

I'm also thinking about borla LT. One knock on the Borla LT is the merge collector comes in at 2.75 and most the others have a 3" setup. May not be a big diff but bigger is better to me anyways. I really like the MBRP LT, they only use the h-midpipe, theres a YouTube video out and sound badass but they won't be available until Dec. American Racing seems like the most expensive set. Stainless Works is also great and cheaper than AR. I don't know too much about BBK or bassani or kooks but they may be okay. JBA and dynatech just came out with new LT as well as Borla but so far no videos or info is out yet, those are still up in the air, but I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig test dumby so I may end up with stainless works. I will be making my decision next week and plan on making the purchase.

2012 White Red Stripes GT500 540/522
-SW Full exhaust -2.8 Metco pulley
2004 White Lightning C&L CAI,exhaust,tuned
2011 Sterling Grey5.0 SOLD
3.73-M6-MGW-AED tuned-JBA Full exhaust-BMR Suspension-423/401
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I forgot to mention:

1) I purchased the Brembo Brake package that came with different rims and Pirelli's 255 tires when i purchased my 5.0

2) Also I already have the Steeda Sport springs I put on aftermarket.

3) The long Tube Headers get rid of the cats so I'm kinda rethinking purchasing them. Not sure if my car would pass smog in California with LT.

4) What are some suspension mods I can do. I do not take my car to the drag strip or track...
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbardr89 View Post
I forgot to mention:

1) I purchased the Brembo Brake package that came with different rims and Pirelli's 255 tires when i purchased my 5.0

2) Also I already have the Steeda Sport springs I put on aftermarket.

3) The long Tube Headers get rid of the cats so I'm kinda rethinking purchasing them. Not sure if my car would pass smog in California with LT.

4) What are some suspension mods I can do. I do not take my car to the drag strip or track...
3) You will NOT pass smog in Cali with LT's (unless you know someone who knows someone with a shady smog shop).

4) See Sharad's comments or call Joe Strano...Tokicos or Koni's, panhard or Watts Link, LCA's, LCA Relocation brackets, UCA's, and don't forget to adjust the pinion angle after all that.

If you want go fast stuff...SUPERCHARGER!

1997 Pacific Green Mustang Cobra...long gone
2014 GT SGM Track Pack 6MT, Recaro's, JLT Catchcan, Kenwood DNX890HD, Maestro MUS1, Maestro RR iDataLink, 2-JL 10W1V3, 4-JL C2570X, JL XD6006, Custom Sub Enclosure
Not yet installed: ARH LT's, Borla OAP's, Borla S, a crap-ton of BMR stuff when they are ready, Forgestar F14's or CF-5's, some form of Coil Overs
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post
3) You will NOT pass smog in Cali with LT's (unless you know someone who knows someone with a shady smog shop).

4) See Sharad's comments or call Joe Strano...Tokicos or Koni's, panhard or Watts Link, LCA's, LCA Relocation brackets, UCA's, and don't forget to adjust the pinion angle after all that.

I was thinking about going with this setup I already have the Steeda lowering springs.

Rear upper adjustable control arm and torque box, Click here

Rear lower control arms, Click here

Adjustable street panhard bar, Click here

Front Camber plate Kit, Click here
Apprentice

I just installed the Barton shifter and bracket. IMHO, the bracket is a bit overly engineered. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with the Steeda bracket. The combo ads a noticeable amount of noise (drive line whirl and shifter clunk). It's not necessarily a bad thing though. The shifter throw reduction is insane and maybe a bit over the top for some people. The feel is very positive, you wont mistake being in gear, but the gate closes up a bit so that it takes a little getting used to. The whole thing has a very "anchored" feel. BTW, the shifter dust boot is also a PITA during install.

If you only want a modest reduction in throw and a much smoother feel than stock, you might want to wait for the MGW. The Barton, while very precise, does little to smooth things out.

2011 Blaze Yellow GT Ė Backup cam, Security, 6MT, 3:73 gears, 19" wheels, Hushpower cats back, Barton shifter & bracket, C&L CAI, Bama 93 race tune, JLT catch can, Eibach Pro springs & dampers & camber bolts, J&M adj. pan hard, 275/40/19 on SVE Drifts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

PONY Member

Aluminum Driveshaft is a nice upgrade you'll shave weight off rotating mass pick up power it's a very nice noticeable upgrade and an easy install. I'm going with the Steeda shifter with the base and there knob in white since my car is white.

Driveshaft though highly recommend it.

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_SD View Post

Yup. What he said!

Fwiw, the suspension is not difficult to install. It helps to have a torque wrench because the torque on the LCAs and the UCA mount is up there pretty high. Other than that though, it doesn't really take super specialized tools or a lift to install your suspension. It's pretty simple stuff, but it makes a big improvement in traction!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page