Exhaust opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Exhaust opinions

I currently have roush axle backs on my 2012 gt with the factory exhaust. I am looking to pick up some more power. Losing the cats IS NOT an option. From the looks of it the factory H pipe is pretty restrictive. So I was looking at the BBK X pipe and also the heart throb H pipe to the axle system. I would prefer the H pipe sound, but sound isn't as big of a deal as horsepower per dollar here. So what are your opinions on this? A $169 X pipe or a $469 system? As far as other power gainers I have, an air raid intake, bama tune, 3.73 gears and some sticky tires for the track.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If i were going to seek power in the exaust system, i would probably start with long tube headers and high flo cats. There are a lot of systems out there claiming 30+ hp simply bolting them on, i haven't seen gains in connection with a tune.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well, I would like to steer away from headers and high flow cats cause i have a wife who isn't really fond of me spending too much on the car. This is why I'm looking for opinions on the gains of the systems I mentioned.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011
Rookie

After installing my Magna comp axle back this weekend. I can honestly say the bends on the mid-pipes is probably going to cause some HP gains. I went axle-back because i wanted to keep the CATs for smog. But, I should have gotten a cat-back then get a catted X or H pipes. That's about $800-$1200 invested without headers.

I'm no mechanic, but the stock pipes are bent like hell and aftermarket pipes are curved well not bent and crimped. I'm sure a free flowing exhaust pipes will do better on HP gains then stock version no matter what.

Sometimes, being cheap isn't going to gain you anything. Better to save and do it the right way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I realize it's not about being cheap lol. The heart throb is from after cats to the axle back. It's an entire system. It doesn't mean it's gonna gain too much over the x pipe though cause the factory h pipe is a big restriction.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011
PONY Member

The Heartthrob system made a definite difference in sound for me but I couldn't tell a huge difference from the butt dyno. Although it definitely improved, just not as much as I was expecting. I wish I had access to a dyno to know for sure. Anyway, you can probably find a better deal on the system if you shop around. I want to say I found mine for $250.

2013 BOSS 302 #0838 GHIG, Recaros, Torsen, 3.73s, Borla S-Types, DSS CF Driveshaft, Paxton Novi 2200, Jegs Cat Deletes, MGW Shifter, Airaid CAI, Steeda Sports, GC CC Plates, UPR LCA Relocation Brackets, J&M Adj. PHB
SOLD-
2011 5.0 Premium Kona Blue
Brembos, 3.73s, 6M
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessethompson View Post
Well, I would like to steer away from headers and high flow cats cause i have a wife who isn't really fond of me spending too much on the car. This is why I'm looking for opinions on the gains of the systems I mentioned.

Anytime you find a means of reducing the stock restriction of the exaust (to a point as there is a minimum back pressure needed to optimize performance) you will realize gains in the output to the rear wheels. The question you need to answer is what am i really looking to do. Is it speed or sound. Your original question is about HP bang for your buck. With regards to the two options you have provided, the x-pipe and heartthrob h-pipe have nominal differences between the gains you will realize, Thus bang for your buck would go to the x-pipe. I personally would go for the better sounding (h-pipe) system.

Cheers!

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011
Apprentice

My car was stock when I had the Hushpower catback with X-pipe installed and I can tell you there was a noticeable increase in torque and responsiveness, especially in the lower RPM range. The larger diameter pipe from behind the cats will definitely give you a bit more power, but the questions is, is it worth it? You're really only talking 5-7 HP max over the axle-back. I don't think the after-cat X-pipe alone is going to do much for you at all without replacing the over the axle sections too.

2011 Blaze Yellow GT Ė Backup cam, Security, 6MT, 3:73 gears, 19" wheels, Hushpower cats back, Barton shifter & bracket, C&L CAI, Bama 93 race tune, JLT catch can, Eibach Pro springs & dampers & camber bolts, J&M adj. pan hard, 275/40/19 on SVE Drifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page