Supercharger additional guages - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Supercharger additional guages

Just a quick question to the guys running a supercharged set-up in their daily driver. Do you have additional guages? (boost, AFR, Fuel pressure etc) Also do you feel they are necessary to the integrity of the system, something to give you piece of mind, or just cool?

Thanks in advance.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

You dont NEED them but they can sure prevenjt catastrophic failure if y0u wee able to see a problem before if caused damage. Id say its definately a good idea to install em. Always good to know ehats going on inside your engine

Just an old ford...

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
PONY Member

i have had they on other supercharged cars and frankly found them more trouble then they are worth. They are cool looking but as mentioned you dont NEED them. IF i was to add them (and i wont be) it would of-course be boost and or a digital AF ratio - other then that the vaguery of the dash gauges will do just fine.

2007 ROUSH M90 Supercharged Mustang GT
2011 Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Mustang GT

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have a speed of sound 3 pod gauge mount with Ford Racing boost and fuel pressure and a Aeroforce scan guage that monitors A/F

I have a lot invested in my motor so I like a little more info then I get from the stock instruments

2011 Performance white base GT 6MT 3.73 gears(sold)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
Apprentice

Unless your the type of guy who can do maintenance and troubleshoot a forced induction motor on your own I wouldnt look too much into it.

It also gets rid of the stealth factor a bit. Coming from Seattle the car theft capital of the world having boost gauges also screams "steal me I have a turbo or supercharger"

2012 GT500
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRXSTI View Post
Unless your the type of guy who can do maintenance and troubleshoot a forced induction motor on your own I wouldnt look too much into it.

It also gets rid of the stealth factor a bit. Coming from Seattle the car theft capital of the world having boost gauges also screams "steal me I have a turbo or supercharger"
I have built an engine or two in my day, but this would be my first foray into the forced induction world, I have a stand alone TBI system on my 5.7 SBC and have every guage from wide band AFR to pyrometer. It has a pre packaged tune, but we have made some minor adjustments to the programming based on the idle, afr, and our but dynos so i tend to keep close track of those. As soon as i have it finished cosmetically and ready to really run, I plan to get it on a dyno. No way will i mess with a system as complicated as the one on the mustang, plus i have a whole lot less invested in my SBC project. :hihi:

I like your idea about keeping it stealthy, a pillar of pods screams race me!. Plus to start i will be keeping the tune mellow to maintain the warranty, so unless i really get to the point of pushing the envelope i will hold off on the guages.

Thanks guys!

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
PONY Member

If you have an iPhone or iPad then what about using this for the gauges?

iTSX - Wireless Vehicle Tuning. Evolved.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011
PONY Member

All right i don't want to create a new thread about this topic so decided to bring this one back to life.

I do not like A-pillar pods. I do want a boost gauge and AFR.

What do you guys think about this combo ?

Gauges:

1) Boost
Prosport Digital Red and Blue EVO series electrical boost gauge

2) Fuel pressure or oil pressure ? What do you think is MORE important ?

Prosport Digital Red and Blue EVO series electrical Fuel Pressure gauge
OR
Prosport Digital Red and Blue EVO series electrical Oil Pressure gauge

3) AFR (wideband)
AeroForce Mustang Single Interceptor Gauge (05-12 All) CNF101 - Free Shipping!

AeroForce Mustang Single Interceptor Gauge (05-12 All) CNF101 - Free Shipping!

Gauge pod:

Ford Racing BOSS Gauge Pod (10-12 All) M-6304GPOD-A - Free Shipping!

Other few questions are:

1) Have ANYONE used prosport gauges ?
I have a prosport oil pressure gauge in my turbo scion and as far as i know it works pretty reliably.

Any aother experiences with their boost gauges ?

2) For the boss gauge pod, do i have to drill a whole in my dash board to run the wires nicely or is there another way of doing so ?

Thanks !

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

hey Rus, I don't have any experience with the parts you reference other than the Aeroforce, but as i am preparing to increase my boost to 7-8 pounds, i have decided having boost and AFR gauge is more important than it was when i first started this post. I ended up going with the Aeroforce gauge with the sens004 boost pressure kit and a rousch gauge pod. The install was fairly easy and minimally intrusive to the interior, plus it displays two parameters at once and has programmable limit lights for various parameters. The gauge has lots of parameters it can monitor from the OBDII port, plus does 0-60, 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times. I didn't want the pillar or boss pods as both of these were too obvious and flashy in my opinion, so this was my next best option.

PONY Member

I like boss gauge pod because it looks OEM and does not stand out as much as A pillar pods.

Ok so autometer can display boost and AFR at the same time.

how important is fuel pressure and/or oil pressure ?

I am also going to be running 7 psi.

So your warranty is out the window now since you are going to retune?

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
I like boss gauge pod because it looks OEM and does not stand out as much as A pillar pods.

Ok so AEROFORCE can display boost and AFR at the same time.

how important is fuel pressure and/or oil pressure ?

I am also going to be running 7 psi.

So your warranty is out the window now since you are going to retune?
Fixed it ... yes it can as long as you buy the boost sensing kit. The aeroforce has 2 additional analog inputs, so these can be boost, oil pressure, oil temp, .... basically any 0-5V analog sensor. Personally I would think that fuel and oil pressure gauges are more important on the track, hence why the boss comes with the tripple pod.

I switched to the custom tune less than 20 minutes after leaving the shop. I didn't say anything about my custom tune at first cause i hadn't filled out the warranty and wasn't sure which way to go, i had up to 30 days to file the paperwork. I decided not to purchase the edelbrock aftermarket warranty, as the car was so much more fun with the custom tune and power is so addicting and so now i am stepping it up. I have already added the competition CAI with yet another new custom tune and next will be installing a smaller pully with a third custom tune. My SCT has run out of space. :kooky:Like everyone says, you gotta pay to play. If i have a major failure it will suck, but the replacement of any single component of the drivetrain is still less than i have into the motor right now so ..... it is what it is. Hell i think the only thing on my car that still might qualify under warranty is my top. I definitely wouldn't suggest this approach to someone who doesn't have a second car though. Even though she is my daily driver, I have a truck for bad weather and in the unfortunate instance of a failure, while she is being fixed.

PONY Member

Since BOSS gauge pad requires the dash board to be drilled.
I think i will just get roush vent pod for now so at least i can monitor AFR with aeroforce gauge from day one.

has anyone installed aeroforce gauge with their boost kit ? how easy or hard was it to hook up boost kit ?

2011 Mustang 5.0 2SLOW
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
has anyone installed aeroforce gauge with their boost kit ? how easy or hard was it to hook up boost kit ?

Just did it last weekend. You need to mount the sensor, run a ground to the battery, run a sensor wire to the gauge, find a 5V source from another sensor for power and tap into the vacuum / boost system. The rest is just programming at the Aeroforce. I had to stumble through it as the instructions don't explain sh*t, but i included a link below to a thread with some additional info and pics. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Cheers!

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-question.html

GT Member
5.0L Member

I didnt know you put in that Eforce. How's that going? SOTP feel, track numbers, Dyno numbers?

RC

2011 GT/CS Auto-Security Package, HID, Remote Start.

STEEDA: LCA/Upper 3rd Link, Adj Rear Sway bar, Spyder 20" Rims 11"/9.5", Hood Struts.

VMP S/C w/82mm Pulley, JLT CF Intake, Vortech Max Flow BAP, AFCO Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, FMS 3.31 Gears, Kooks 1-7/8 LTs, Kooks Off Road H-Pipe, GT500 AB's, Baer Big Brake Kit with 14" Rotors, Aeroforce Interceptor Dual Scan Gauge w/Speed of Sound A-Pillar.

Roush Front Bumper, Saleen Front Grille, Custom Radiator Cover/Coil Covers
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GTLaserRC View Post
I didnt know you put in that Eforce. How's that going? SOTP feel, track numbers, Dyno numbers?

RC

Hey 94, i was quiet about it originally as i was sorting through the edelbrock warranty, which i decided not to purchase, so all bets are off, and the sky is my limit now. Before the CAI and tune, the car put down 471 rwhp and 446 ft/lbs. Between christmas and new years I should have numbers on the current set up, as well as with the next smaller pulley (8pounds of boost). it's easy to drive the car slow, and it's even easier to drive the car fast .... I will be making an official pass at 75/80 next spring after i have the new RXT installed and the 8 psi pulley just to get some real numbers, and then will get booted for not having a cage ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page