cheaper headers worth the cost? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

cheaper headers worth the cost?

so when it comes to header there are the cheap options bbk and pypes and there are more expensive kooks jba, ext. so heres the question

is spending the 800 on bbk headers and an offroad xpipe going to provide a gain
thats worth the extra $500 as compared to factory headers and an offroad x?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Idk if id call BBK "cheap". Its a well known name brand trusted my many racers as myself. Kooks and JBA have been around longer. CHEAP is summit racing. And to answer your question a set o JBA or Kooks headers wont give you any more HP that BKK. You dont really need headers unless you have a need for more OUT flow. Yu have that need whenyou have more IN flow such as a set of heads or intake manifold&TB

Just an old ford...

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

You will notice a difference, whether a small gain is worth it you can only decide... to me a real sports car has headers, they sound amazing and I've never regretted installing them... I have BBKs on my Cobra, I've had them on other Stangs...the install is a biatch and if you have a 5 spd they get to come off if you replace the clutch...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
Grimace427

The difference is not likely in the performance gains but rather the quality of the materials and and workmanship. Not to say $800 can't buy good quality components.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
PONY Member

I have the Ceramic coated BBK and BBK OR X-Pipe. The only thing I would change is to go with Stainless Steel on a daily driver. My car sits in a garage 9 out of 10 days so the Ceramic will hold up for a long time and I got a good deal since they were installing a slew of suspension parts anyway. My other BBK headers, chrome plated, are 10-12 years old and have general coloration from 11 years of use and some drag racing (306 NOS Windsor motor), but no rust, and that car is also stored indoors (no top on 90' vert GT).

Together the LTs/Xpipe give you a linear (not peak) 20RWHP and 20FTLBS from 4000-7000rpm. I am sitting happy at about 420RWHP/400RWTQ with just an email tune.

It's hard to measure throttle response which improves drastically. I am hitting 116+mph in the 1/4 mile. I hit 113 mph missing a shift so the car accelerates very fast now.

Some people don't like: Exhaust Gas Smell, Backfires on downshifts, and the extreme loudness. I used Hushpower mufflers and it didn't matter at WOT, it is calm at idle, but anything over 3K and it's very loud. At WOT it's going to be loud as hell even with factory muffs.

My only other engine mods include Steeda CAI and Steeda emailed Tune. Going for a dyno tune which will bring out more power with a little more risk. I do have very substantial suspension mods so next spring I am going to work on getting in the mid 11's and running in the 118-120mph speed range but the car is being geared more for the road course.

I just got a Dynatech Driveshaft in today so we'll see how that installation goes this weekend.

I keep my updates here if you want to read more on it:
2011 5.0 Brenspeed Overhaul - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2011 5.0 GT 3.55 gears, Candy Apple, Steeda CAI and SCT Tune,Steeda Control Arms, LCA Relocation Bracket, Pan Hard Bar and Brace, Ultra Light Springs, 3rd Link, Camber Plates, Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks, Shifter, Barton Shifter Bushing, Flowmaster hush power. Steeda 18X9 Chrome Pentar/Nitto NT05 275/40/18. BBK long tubes and OR xpipe

2005 F150 SXT, OX Locker, 4.10 gears, Edge CS Tuner, 33x10 AT, K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Ok so this answers my question if you got 20hp out of it and I can get 15 out of a bbr/lethal xpipe then im basically paying $500 extra for sound....and that 800or will cover a catback and xpipe

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page