dynos worth the money? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to drifter18533434
dynos worth the money?

Been following the posts on dynos--I HAVEN'T HAD ONE YET,SO, LET ME ASK/SAY THIS--IS A DYNO WORTH THE MONEY WHEN EACH ONE SEEMS TO BE DIFFERENT? HOW DO KNOW FOR SURE WHAT HP YOU HAVE? SEEMS LIKE A WASTE OF MONEY..I DON'T GO TOO THE TRACK//

4.10 gears-- boss manifold- bama tunes-6sd manuel-- 19"wheels, staggered-Roush CAI--J&M LCA--- Alum 1pc driveline--93 oct fuel only
-Pypes LTH w/catted X pipe GT500 Muffs-- BBG TB 85mm--Moroso coolant alum tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

there is no need to dyno a car unless you just want to see what it puts down...now a custom tune with a dyno session? At about $450 you have to decide if that is worth it to you...
Most of us die hard gear heads want every hp we can get, so a dyno session with a great tuner is money well spent...esp on a built car

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

^ Agreed.

If someone install a CAI and tune, true duals, ect...you wont want to waste money on a dynotune.
But install those, plus bigger TB, S/C or Turbo and whatever else...you may want to fork out for every lil HP you can
get.

'05 Blk Prem V6 Roush Styled, X-Charged, & Highly Modified Sold
'06 Torch Red Prem GT

Show: SGT Grille, SGT Lower Fogs, GT500 Chin Spoiler & Trunk Spoiler, GT Hood Scoop/Side Scoops, Powered By Ford Fender Badges, Quarter Window Louvers, Sequential TL, '13 Painted Mirrors, '10 Style GT500 Rims.
Suspension: GT500 Strut Mounts, Koni STR.T shocks/struts, SR 1.5" Springs, SR Rear LCAs, J&M Adjust PHB.
Exhaust: SLP LoudMouth1s.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011
GT Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post
Been following the posts on dynos--I HAVEN'T HAD ONE YET,SO, LET ME ASK/SAY THIS--IS A DYNO WORTH THE MONEY WHEN EACH ONE SEEMS TO BE DIFFERENT? HOW DO KNOW FOR SURE WHAT HP YOU HAVE? SEEMS LIKE A WASTE OF MONEY..I DON'T GO TOO THE TRACK//
For around $50 to have 2/3 pulls to find out where you are at stock hp/tq wise doesn't sound like a waste to me. Especially if you plan on modding your car, don't you want to see what the mods have done with your hard earned money?

No one is forcing you to spend your money, if you find it foolish don't do it!

2011 Performance White 5.0 Premium 6spd MT, 3.73's, 401A
Mods: Staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255 45 18, & 295 45 18 tires, Air Lift Drag Bags, Roush axle backs, Eibach Pro springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar, Center Fog grille, MMD Hood Struts,BAMA Tuned, JPC Line Lock, Blowfish Racing Bracket
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter1853 View Post
Given that even an older used chassis dynamometer goes for around $10K (reference: For Sale Lingenfelters Dyno Jet 248 in ground Chassis Dynomometer - Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Forum), I'd say it's probably not worth it, unless you have a good feel for the market around you.

Serious answer: The only reason to get your car dynoed is because you want to see the effect of individual mods and optimize your performance. They're not good for bragging rights because there's too much individual variation. As you already surmised, the only valid comparisons are on the same dyno (ideally under similar conditions and with the same calibration factors applied).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
GT Member

Yes, dyno the car and for the same amount of money as you would spend on canned e-mail tunes and tuner you can have the car dyno tuned...

I don't speak often but when I do, I don't have clue what I am talking about. I just repeat things that I once heard and do not repeat them correctly... My doctor told me it was an ID 10 T problem and it was incurable.
So when I reply to a post or add to a thread I just find the words elsewhere and copy and paste.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
GT Member
S197 Member

Remember only a fraction of stang owners visit forums. The vast majority couldn't give a hoot about the rwhp of their car. It's good enough stock and leave it alone.

My car spent much of its life strapped to a dyno, obligatory when running high boost (20+ lbs). Still, there wasn't much talk about horsepower numbers and I could only guess my car's rwhp. More focus on air/fuel ratio and such. Too much emphasis on numbers that vary so much between machine types and operators. Notice sigs for cars with low ETs, do not usually include a rwhp # as well, and most that show rwhp #s, don't have low ETs. That's the difference between folk having hp goals and those with ET goals. For most as car goes faster, the hp number matters less.

06 Mustang GT, 76mm turbo @ 22lbs boost, built 302, built fuel, 4r70w + transbrake, gutted, 10.0 @ 136 mph in 1/4 (sold 2011)

S550 mercedes, stock, daily driver

previoulsy owned
2002 viper gts
2006 viper coupe
2013 srt viper base (track package)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
Yes, dyno the car and for the same amount of money as you would spend on canned e-mail tunes and tuner you can have the car dyno tuned...
I wish it were that close. I saw an ad in the 5.0 M&SF that came in the mail today, I can get a SCT tuner from American Muscle with 3 free tunes for $379. At one of my local shops, it's $349 for the tuner + $400 for a custom dyno tune + $125 for each additional tune. If I wanted to achieve the same thing locally as with AM, it'd be $999 + tax. $620 for a few extra HP isn't worth it to some. If you're the hardcore racer, then it is, but for the average enthusiast who wants a few more HP and better shifting, etc...that's a lot.

2012 5.0 M6, Brembos, 3.73s, Lethal OR-H, K&N, AED tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page