2011 mustang gt transmission question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

2011 mustang gt transmission question

Hello my name is William. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2011 mustang gt with the getrag manual 6 speed. I only have 8900 miles on the car and recently broke second gear completely. It will not move at all in second but all the other gears are fine. My dealer denied fixing it under warranty due to signs of racing it which I have but didn't admit it. Only mods the car has is a steeda cai and sct programmer. Anyways I will just fix it myself instead of wasting time with a dealer. Can anyone tell me who sells parts for these transmissions? I cannot find a place online. Any help please thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

I assume this is your buddy talking about you...

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nty-story.html

347 turbo 95 GT & roller 95 GT (past 408w car)

MOESMUSCLEMUSTANGS.WORDPRESS.COM
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
GT Member

Sounds like you are screwed. You tuned, race and *(&'d up your car. You could jump on the "it's the MT82's fault" bandwagon though... others in your same position have. In fact, I think one of the very first reports of a bad transmission on the NHSTA's site with "issues" was someone that was racing their car and crashed it.

Good chance to put something else in fun down there though.

Bryce
---------
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W&d5-21 View Post
Hello my name is William. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2011 mustang gt with the getrag manual 6 speed. I only have 8900 miles on the car and recently broke second gear completely. It will not move at all in second but all the other gears are fine. My dealer denied fixing it under warranty due to signs of racing it which I have but didn't admit it. Only mods the car has is a steeda cai and sct programmer. Anyways I will just fix it myself instead of wasting time with a dealer. Can anyone tell me who sells parts for these transmissions? I cannot find a place online. Any help please thankyou.
You just gave Ford everything they need to prove you were racing Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert View Post
Sounds like you are screwed. You tuned, race and *(&'d up your car. You could jump on the "it's the MT82's fault" bandwagon though... others in your same position have. In fact, I think one of the very first reports of a bad transmission on the NHSTA's site with "issues" was someone that was racing their car and crashed it.

Good chance to put something else in fun down there though.
Really? WOW
You need the get laid or something,
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011

Quote:
From the ever growing number of complaints coming in about the MT82 transmissions, and the ensuing NHTSA investigation, it is becoming clear that the 2011-2012 Mustangs look fast, but are not designed to be driven that way.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigstang View Post
From the ever growing number of complaints coming in about the MT82 transmissions, and the ensuing NHTSA investigation, it is becoming clear that the 2011-2012 Mustangs look fast, but are not designed to be driven that way.
it seems to be that way for the MT-82s....the autos seem to handling the power just fine.

I wonder if Ford will ever pull these shenanigans again with having a tranny built in China.

Back to the OP...yeah, sorry to hear it but you might be SOL. You might want to see if you can go back to stock and take it to another dealer. If they deny you again, then you are outta luck.

If you have to buy a new tranny, might want to go with Tremec instead..

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigstang View Post
I agree,

The OP due to the way Ford gets out of fixing the MT82 is probably screwed because just admitted to racing,
With that being said this is just another case proving the weak link of this POS transmission.

If the OP was racing and dumped the clutch hard enough to take out second gear you would think the POS clutch Ford is redesigning would go first, go figure.

Have you all noticed that ford doesn't run commercials anymore promoting spirited driving and that the new mustang out performs the others.

This is because they know the MT82 can't handle it.

Do the posters on these forums that are in denial about the issues with the MT82 really believe that the people that have Cameros, Chargers and Challengers don't "race" drive their cars spirited? You know they do and you don't see the complaints or the NHTSA investigating them for transmission issues.

Just saying
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Finally somebody that thinks the way I do. If I can't dump the clutch in whichever gear I want at anytime I feel like it without it breaking then they shouldn't have used a pos transmission. It's not like I have slicks on it side stepping the clutch at 7000. Does anyone know of a company that sells parts for these transmissions?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

This is quite opposite to what other tuning companies have done with their cars...they run the crap out of them and still have the MT82.

When it gets to a certain power level, they do put a stronger clutch in but still with the MT82.

There is even a turbo mustang making over 900HP with the MT82...broke the drive shaft but not the MT82.

It does seem your relationship with your dealer is not good since they were so quick to deny warranty though.

Current Ride: 2014 RAM 1500 SPORT
Toy: 89 RX7-Turbo (Future LS Swap)
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post

There is even a turbo mustang making over 900HP with the MT82...broke the drive shaft but not the MT82.

It broke a one piece aluminum driveshaft that was supposed to handle 900ft/lbs of torque .... go figure.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.
PONY Member

Quote:
Finally somebody that thinks the way I do. If I can't dump the clutch in whichever gear I want at anytime I feel like it without it breaking then they shouldn't have used a pos transmission. It's not like I have slicks on it side stepping the clutch at 7000. Does anyone know of a company that sells parts for these transmissions?

You modded, you broke, you pay to fix. It's really a rather simple concept. If you had any concerns regarding your MT82, you shouldn't have modded, because you just gave Ford all the reason they needed to legitmately deny your warranty claim.

And before some armchair lawyer comes in here and starts screaming, "Magnuson Moss", good luck with that. You'll spend many thousands of dollars and many months contesting a shaky case to begin with. I don't think you'd win such a case given your own admissions.

You don't care when my car was built or what options it has.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok this will be the third time I've asked this question. Does anyone know of a place that sells parts for the mt82? I am Goin to fix it myself I'm not wasting my time with a lawyer or dealership. I can fix the transmission with my eyes closed if I can find the parts. I simply took it to the dealer and they denied fixing it so I'll fix it myself simple as that nothing more or less.
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert50Rat View Post
I agree,

The OP due to the way Ford gets out of fixing the MT82 is probably screwed because just admitted to racing,
With that being said this is just another case proving the weak link of this POS transmission.

If the OP was racing and dumped the clutch hard enough to take out second gear you would think the POS clutch Ford is redesigning would go first, go figure.

Have you all noticed that ford doesn't run commercials anymore promoting spirited driving and that the new mustang out performs the others.

This is because they know the MT82 can't handle it.

Do the posters on these forums that are in denial about the issues with the MT82 really believe that the people that have Cameros, Chargers and Challengers don't "race" drive their cars spirited? You know they do and you don't see the complaints or the NHTSA investigating them for transmission issues.

Just saying
Have you visited any Camero, Charger, or Challenger forums? Just saying...

How many transmissions have you had replaced? :smoke:

2012 Ingot GT Premium / 401a / Reverse Sensing & Security / 3.73 Rear

Mods: CS Fascia w/Fogs / Saleen Grille / Flowmaster Hushpower AB / Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks / Steeda Sport Springs / Steeda HD Upper Mounts / BMR Adjustable Panhard / TPS Slotted Rotors / Hawk Pads / JLT Catch Can / Barton Shifter / Barton 2-Post Bracket / Airaid CAI / Rockers painted to match / HID Retrofit / Bama Baby!
Rookie

Quote:
Ok this will be the third time I've asked this question. Does anyone know of a place that sells parts for the mt82? I am Goin to fix it myself I'm not wasting my time with a lawyer or dealership. I can fix the transmission with my eyes closed if I can find the parts. I simply took it to the dealer and they denied fixing it so I'll fix it myself simple as that nothing more or less.
As you've discovered, this forum is all about bustin' nutz and posturing and not so much about answering tech questions. My first call if I were you would be D&D Performance in Wixom, Michigan. ddperformance.com They are huge in performance manual transmissions and I've bought Tremec parts from them several times. All they list on their website is Tremec but they support Mustang racers and may know a thing or two about the new Getrag.

Good luck...ned.
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your 2nd gear bro. Hope mine fairs better. I drive the hell out of my car.

~JASON~

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Brembo\6-Spd\3.73\HID

BOSS intake w/ Steeda CAI, Kook's 1 3/4" LT headers and catted X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder axle-back, BAMA tune, Eibach Pro springs, Raptor blue shift light :shiny:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page