Racing The Mustang Is A Faulty Excuse - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Racing The Mustang Is A Faulty Excuse

This is a message to Ford folks.

Time and time again I read on this forum how Ford dealers use racing as an excuse to deny warranty work. In my opinion that is a unwarranted contradiction to the image of the Mustang that the Ford Motor Company pays millions of advertising dollars to portray!

I can understand a dealer denying warranty work when a car has non- factory modifications that have the ability to overload / over stress the factory drivetrain. However, Ford racing parts are the exception as they are designed for enhancing the performance of the Mustang, and should not be a reason to deny any warranty maintenance work.

It's absurd to think that any Mustang will not race or be driven spiritedly now and then. After all, that's the spirit of the Mustang in Ford advertising, and it is the reason that most buy Mustangs.

In my opinion, the Ford Motor Company needs to provide a mind-set adjustment policy for their dealer maintenance department managers which does not impose the warranty applicability of a Ford Focus on a Mustang.

Frankly, if a dealer declines warranty maintenance of my Mustang should the car need it, I will not buy another Ford. This was nearly the case when my dealer declined to fix the peeling paint on the hood of my 2006 Mustang. However, coaxing from Ford Customer Service made a difference and the dealer refinished the hood. My 2011 GT 5.0 is my 5th Mustang and 10th Ford car. It will only take one dealer to ruin my relationship with Ford.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA

Last edited by Bobby B; 10-12-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
GT Member

I agree too but if there are mods on the car to support racing, look at it from their perspective.

Also cars that have no mods, I think it depends on the way that the tranny was handled. I have seen some vids on youtube that when people cant get the tranny into gear, they just keep pushing and pushing. Granted that is a problem and should be fixed but if they just see someone grinded the crap outta the tranny, of course they are going to blame it on racing or poor driving.

I am not saying that its right that Ford is denying to fix all these trannys that have problems but from some posts and complaints I have seen, if the car has been abused, then Ford is going to void it.

Current 2012 Lexus RX350 & 2011 Ford Escape XLT

Previous
2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, Sold 8/20/2012

New Build:
2014 Ingot Silver Focus ST ST2 W/ Moonroof and Blue Recaro Inserts: Ordered 05/22/2014
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member

It's funny you brought this up I was just looking at the 2011 and 2012 GT comercials and all you see is the driver drifting doing massive burnouts and a racing it like it was a rental.

It shows clips of older mustangs at the drag strip also and gives you the impression this mustang is following in their footsteps. As my service advisor said if they can prove the part caused the faliure then it won't be covered and I'm fine with that.

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member

They should read the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act before they deny a claim.

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
[SOLD] 2012 Mustang GT (disappointed)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I canít even believe we are having this conversation/concern in this day and age, customer satisfaction and loyalty needs to be a top priority for any manufacturer competing in Todayís worldwide market wanting repeat business. 16years since I purchased an American car (1995 Ford Mustang) and they have come a long ways when it comes to quality but at least one of them needs to shore up its warranty perception. Before I pass judgment I would need to experience it first-hand versus second-hand info and not hearing both sides of the story. I had some warranty work done recently and the dealer made the comment ďwe can tell youíre not abusing your carĒ they would not elaborate but said ďthey have their waysĒ I was left with the impression that they were looking for an excuse to deny me the warranty work.

I can understand Fordís position regarding aftermarket modifications but when you start everyone off with a suspect transmission to begin with that was rated lower than the stock torque capacity, I start to 2nd guess my understanding of Fordís position.

I feel the same way the OP feels, at the end of the day I donít care how great a car may be on paper, If I have issues and I get screwed over in the process, never again.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I'm not sure this is a "Ford" issue. I have friends with S2000s and Mitsu Evos, Nissan Z's, corvettes, etc. They have a hard enough time racing their cars from an insurance point of view. Insurance agents aren't exactly clamoring to cover dudes who want to race their cars. Its hard enough to get on for fun track day. You have to promise the laps you're doing won't be timed.--that's the hoop my friends go through.

Nevermind dealers supporting warranty claims. You break it, you fix it with your own $.

I think nearly all the automakers are trying to sell you the "dream": doing donuts/drifting in the desert (Mercedes), taking a spin around a track (Dodge), smokey burnouts (Ford), climbing mountains, crossing rivers yada yada. Hello? it's not real. You can really do these things but they really aren't going to cover you.

reality is the insurance companies don't like it, the automakers don't want to cover it.

Expect a hassle is the take away message...or expect the fun to cost you lots of money. Those dudes who race? ya, they burn through money like there's no tomorrow.

Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
Banned

This is NOT just Ford. I had a buddy who's Evo spit out its transfer case gears. Boost pressure? 24psi. What was he doing? Autocross. Covered? Ah...no. But then again, I can't blame either party...
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Stang View Post
It's funny you brought this up I was just looking at the 2011 and 2012 GT comercials and all you see is the driver drifting doing massive burnouts and a racing it like it was a rental.

It shows clips of older mustangs at the drag strip also and gives you the impression this mustang is following in their footsteps. As my service advisor said if they can prove the part caused the faliure then it won't be covered and I'm fine with that.
You mean this one...

Or this one...

Heck this last one is the one that sent me over the edge and got me signing on the dotted line.

2011 Sterling Gray GT Premium, 401a, Manual, Brembo and 3.73 rear.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
Apprentice

i would also like to add that ford dealers telling people there waranty is voided because of aftermarked parts is also wrong, the dealership has to prove that the car broke as a direct result of the aftermarket parts. if they cant there is no reason they should void the waranty.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

exactly. haha. That commercial.

if the argument is that Ford should cover us if we break something auto-crossing, at the track, or otherwise abusing the bejezus outa our cars, or else we will be unsatisfied customers and we'll never buy another Ford...Um ok, then I guess the big solution is to buy that "other" 400+ hp car for less than $40k that, when you race it and break it, they cover everything.--hey if that exists I'll totally buy that car.

keep this in mind too--racers rebuild basically everything after they race even if the car doesn't break.--and its not uncommon to 'blow up' something during the race. Can you imagine if it were as easy as taking the stickers off the car and then driving home...a few days later you drive back to your dealership "uh ya, its shifting funny, steering is out of alignment, brakes are shot, and I think I'm burning oil." Don't worry sir, it's all covered under warranty.

Ford would lose its shirt on the mustang GT if that were the case. We'd all be racing for the price of a helmet, gloves, and gasoline.

takaway message--have fun! do smokey burnouts, drive 150mph, let it loose. But don't break anything! haha

Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Banned
4.6L Member

What about the Boss 302? Does that have a warranty? They should repossess it if you don't race it...
I can assure you that someday the ECU will have some kinda hard drive that will tell the dealer if the car has been "raced", it's easy enough to record G forces, acceleration, etc
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

oh, it's fully encouraged that you race your Boss. Hell, they have a track key!

it's a great question--if you use the track key, "drive" it (read: race it) and something breaks will Ford honor that warranty?

I might be naive on this one--but my gut tells me that if you bought a Laguna Seca Boss, Ford would honor just about anything under warranty because its such a high profile, flagship model.

caveats to apply--whatever broke that should not have broken is totally covered, unless it's obvious driver error caused the breakage.

I don't think us common GT folk should expect the same level of attention as the Laguna Seca driver. Man, I'd love to have one of those.

I wonder how the GT500 folks are treated by Ford? God, I'd love to have one of those too! haha

PONY Member
5.0L Member

not going to back up the factories here neccessarily but something else occurs to me here. They may show dudes doing all that cool stuff on commercials, but whats the possibility that 60% of the owners at home know how to do that stuff?

I'm just saying, think of the repair costs of covering every gear grinding frat freshman or weekend warrior armed with a new stang and the collective racing/drift knowledge of yahoo answers and about.com .

2012 Kona Blue GT Prem, 401A (Charc + Blue), MT, 3.73, HIDs, Glass Roof, Electronics, Rear Sense + Security, Rear View Cam.
JHR bracket, FRPP, Steeda Sport Springs, Pro Action Dampers, adj Panhard, J&M Camber Plates

2004 Xterra (Sold) 2000 AltezzaRS (AKA-Lexus IS200 Sold)
"Mustangs are like good looking women. You can spend a lot of money dressing them up, but really they just look better naked."
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
not going to back up the factories here neccessarily but something else occurs to me here. They may show dudes doing all that cool stuff on commercials, but whats the possibility that 60% of the owners at home know how to do that stuff?

I'm just saying, think of the repair costs of covering every gear grinding frat freshman or weekend warrior armed with a new stang and the collective racing/drift knowledge of yahoo answers and about.com .
Good point,

Ford should have a 1 day drivers certification class were owners that want to drive spiritedly can get certified to do so and keep their warranty intact for driving it they way the Ford Engineers intended it to be.
BOSS Member

Garage
I know the message they are trying to portray with that video. BUT... In Fords defense, they don't actually show THAT car racing.... Then again, they did offer a "Track Pack" for 2010...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrubiu View Post
You mean this one...

Or this one...

Heck this last one is the one that sent me over the edge and got me signing on the dotted line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page