"Custom Drilled" Wheels? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Also, I'd send those "Kustom" drilled wheels back!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Google "hub-centric vs lug-centric". There is alot of discussion about it. I myself prefer hub-centric and will buy wheels that fit the hub correctly or buy the centering rings to make it so. You will most likely avoid balance/vibration issues with a hub-centric mounting.
Thanks for the info.. I do have minor vibration issues with my TSW's but after searching online I can't find centering rings for them. Do you or anyone know where I can find out what size I need or where to get them?

Also, has no one ever come across the steel mounting suface inserts before? I was hoping that someone could tell me it's common and I shouldn't worry about but it looks like that's not the case. I guess I'll have to eat the shipping cost to send them back

2011 Black 5.0 GT Premium * HID * Security * Camera * Comfort * GT500 Axle-Back * Staggered 20" Gunmetal Nurburgring Wheels
PONY Member

They look like a bit of a hack job done with a cordless drill and not a CNC machine. I would be scared that they would break at high speed.

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

Are these the wheels?

- Staggered Set - <br>(2) 19x8.5 Eurotek 02 Hypersilver<br>(2) 19x9.5 Eurotek 02 Hypersilver Wheels

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

PONY Member

GOOGLE comes back with many examples of steel inserts being pressed into aluminium holes, to give it strength for the lug nuts. It looks like it is a common practice but the ones you showed us look poorly drilled and the inserts even look cracked around the edges. I'd send them back. If they didn't come from the Manufacturer that way, I would be hesitant to let the Tire Shop do them "in house" with Hackey McHackerton on the drill press.

* ARAID Race CAI
* 20% Tint

BOSS Member

OP,

Mustangs are lug-centric and use the tapered lugnuts to center the wheels onto the hub, the TSWs you have are fine and are meant to be lug-centric to work on your Mustang.

As for the wheels you just bought and the pictures you posted of them, I would be weary of installing them. The sleeves look tack-welded into place and if they come loose, you will have some nasty, un-safe levels of vibration.

I would see what you can do about sending them back. Just inform them you don't feel comfortable installing them on your car.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972mach1 View Post
Are these the wheels?
Yep that's it.

Thanks for the input guys. The sleeves aren't welded at all, they are pressed in kind of like a skateboard truck kingpin for those of you who get the reference.... Maybe they'll be cool about returning them, we'll see.

Chris, As for the TSW's it's good to hear that lug centric is fine but I still have vibration issues at around 40 and 70 mph and I was hoping that I could get centering rings for them an that might fix the issue. Do you know if AM could get me those?

2011 Black 5.0 GT Premium * HID * Security * Camera * Comfort * GT500 Axle-Back * Staggered 20" Gunmetal Nurburgring Wheels
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbaddy View Post
Yep that's it.

Thanks for the input guys. The sleeves aren't welded at all, they are pressed in kind of like a skateboard truck kingpin for those of you who get the reference.... Maybe they'll be cool about returning them, we'll see.

Chris, As for the TSW's it's good to hear that lug centric is fine but I still have vibration issues at around 40 and 70 mph and I was hoping that I could get centering rings for them an that might fix the issue. Do you know if AM could get me those?

We don't carry any ourselves, however, Gorilla makes/sells them. You can find them here: Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

Good luck!

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any questions in the future!

Have a great night!

Chris Rose | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Need help? PM AMAlexLazarus for immediate assistance!
PONY Member

I don't know if it's the pic, or the angle, or what, but those lug nut holes don't seem to be drilled out evenly from the center. The one on the left looks closer to the edge than the one on the right. I've never been a fan of drilling wheels to get them to fit. I had that option with my wheels and I opted to wait 4-8 weeks for them to make them in my bolt pattern, offset, and color. I think you should have done the same, it's not like you don't have wheels to roll around on.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbaddy View Post
Thanks for the info.. I do have minor vibration issues with my TSW's but after searching online I can't find centering rings for them. Do you or anyone know where I can find out what size I need or where to get them?
I bought them from here before:

https://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric

The mustang's hub diameter is 70.5mm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page