2012 Mustang GT Cold Air Intake. Worth it? - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

I know what you mean, like i said, i am not concerned because i know i have full coverage on everything. My power-train warranty was not voided, it is still active... thanks to my dealer and the owner who is a friend of ours... they are very mod friendly... the owner services his track prepped racing porsches and adui r8 there aswell. When i get my aluminum DS (after a safety loop goes on sale hopefully) they will be installing it, once again power train warranty and all other warranties still in full effect, no changes or loss of warranty will be an issue

2014 GT 5.0 | Premium | 401A | Roush A/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung View Post

Keep in mind Ford is not honoring your powertrain warranty any-longer. Ford Racing will, but Ford Motor Company will not. There is a difference.
Sorry Chris, but that is not true.

Quote:
"This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Read that VERY carefully and you will see what I mean. Your powertrain warranty is no longer honored by Ford and depending upon whether a dealer installed the tune the day you bought it, you only have 12 months/12,000 miles on your powertrain warranty under Ford Racing.
As the warranty reads, only parts that are determined to have failed due to the tune are not covered by the 5/60 warranty, and that is when the Ford Racing warranty would apply. So if something breaks, and it determined that it was not caused by the tune, then the original warranty still applies. Same would go for your guys' Bama tunes. If the car is tuned by you, and something breaks, and Ford determines the tune did not cause the issue, then it's still covered. Not everything is voided in the power train warranty because a car is tuned, and AM's own warranty states that as well. If something breaks, and your tune is present, take it to Ford, and if they deny service due to the tune, then you guys cover it. As I recall, Ford fixed the engines that had the #8 cylinder failures under their own warranty, even though your tune was present in the car, and they were aware of it.

PONY Member

Quote:
This is a very common misconception for most people but Ford Racing products are NOT in any way related to Ford and are NOT covered under FoMoCo Warranty. Ford Racing will warranty the tune, but not Ford Motor Company and that is a very important distinction to make/understand. Ford Racing is a subsidiary of Ford and one that Ford "accepts" and "deals with" because they have to. If they didn't then everybody out there would be buying all aftermarket parts and not give Ford a piece of the pie.

If you actually read through the FRPP warranty information, there are stipulations to the warranty(must be installed/registered at dealer/only valid on certain parts/not all parts completely covered under warranty/etc.) You can read their warranty information here:
Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Warranty] and a specific breakdown for the 2011+models here:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/warra...RANTY_2011.pdf

"Please read the warranty page carefully:
Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Warranty]

Specifically you're looking at this section:

2) FR1 & FR3 Power Packs for the 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and Shelby GT500
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
  • A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of new vehicle delivery
  • A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty
From their more in depth warranty page:

"This Limited Warranty replaces the existing
manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when
a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part. All engine, driveline and suspension
warranty issues not related to installation of Ford racing parts remain subject to existing
manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

Furthermore, FRPP's Procal is not that great of an improvement:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...o-results.html

That's not to say that Ford Racing doesn't make great parts(they do and we proudly sell them more than any other Mustang Parts Supplier) but their tune is just soft and leaves a lot to be desired for most people. If you like, more power to ya, but you get better warranty coverage with our tunes, more power, free tunes for life and the benefit of knowing that you've got the best tuning option in your vehicle available for Mustangs today.
First of all, Chris, you need to read the most recent and up to date warranty information. If the FRPP tune is installed by a dealer, you get a full 3/36 from the date of install. Yes, it is an FRPP warranty and not the original FoMoCo warranty. Still, let's be honest here and get down to brass tacks. Who has deeper pockets to fix a smoked motor, American Muscle, or a division of Ford? Not saying that your company would suffer the kind of financial hardship that would cause you to close your doors, but the FRPP warranty carries more clout than yours. Companies come and go. Ford remains.

Further, Ford still has to verify that the tune caused any potential failure in order for the FRPP warranty to become active. Same deal with a BAMA tune.

Secondly, FRPP is affiliated with Ford and is drawing upon Ford's knowledge base to make performance parts. They are the aftermarket arm of Ford. To attempt to distance them from Ford and Ford's expertise is misguided.

Finally, dyno numbers are not what this tune is all about..and one comparo test is not going to be the final arbiter of this tune's value. I, for one, noticed a substantial increase in all around performance and driveability....just ask my rear tires. The tune makes great torque and is in no way "soft."' I know for a fact that there are guys out there pulling nice track times with the FRPP tune. A member of The Corral pulled a 12.03 @ 116 with nothing more than the Pro-Cal, a Hushpower axle back and a set of Nito 555 DRs. I think that is pretty impressive. How many BAMA tune guys running the same mods have posted better numbers?

Look, I have nothing against AM and BAMA. As a matter of fact, I bought my Pro-Cal from you and ordered some more parts today. I am sure the BAMA tunes make more power than the Pro-Cal. However, the Pro-Cal is a solid tune and I think it should not be overlooked by people who are concerned about warranty issues, and who don't really want an aggressive tune.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.

Apprentice

Thanks for that input Mike. I was looking at both tunes but will go with FRPP.

2011 Auto V6, Jon Lund 93 tune, 4.10, Steeda CAI, FRPP LCA & X-Pipe, Shaftmasters DS, Bassani Axle back SOLD

GT/CS M6, FRPP Tune, GT500 LCA/ axlebacks
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post

Look, I have nothing against AM and BAMA. As a matter of fact, I bought my Pro-Cal from you and ordered some more parts today. I am sure the BAMA tunes make more power than the Pro-Cal. However, the Pro-Cal is a solid tune and I think it should not be overlooked by people who are concerned about warranty issues, and who don't really want an aggressive tune.

Mike
Lol i ordered quite a bit from AM as well. Love the company and the customer service Any issues I've had were promptly resolved as well.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ4NFO View Post
Thanks for that input Mike. I was looking at both tunes but will go with FRPP.
It is a good tune. If you aren't looking for more major mods down the road, it is a great way to just clean up the powerband and gain some well needed low end grunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Lol i ordered quite a bit from AM as well. Love the company and the customer service Any issues I've had were promptly resolved as well.
Hey, they are a great company and I have bought multiple items from them. I just don't know why someone who represents them and their interests on the internet would post remarks that are somewhat disparaging of one of the manufacturers they are vendors for...especially someone as big as Ford Racing. Like I said, I bought the Pro-Cal from AM themselves.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
It is a good tune. If you aren't looking for more major mods down the road, it is a great way to just clean up the powerband and gain some well needed low end grunt.

Hey, they are a great company and I have bought multiple items from them. I just don't know why someone who represents them and their interests on the internet would post remarks that are somewhat disparaging of one of the manufacturers they are vendors for...especially someone as big as Ford Racing. Like I said, I bought the Pro-Cal from AM themselves.

Mike
Mike,

We absolutely love Ford Racing here at AM. Please excuse my tone as it was in no way meant to be disparaging towards FRPP. I stated that they're a great company and how much we like them: "That's not to say that Ford Racing doesn't make great parts(they do and we proudly sell them more than any other Mustang Parts Supplier)" Furthermore, in my previous post I also stated.. "The warranty on the rest of your car is in no way effected by a tune, no matter whose tune it is. Ford can't completely cancel your warranty due to a tune, just your powertrain warranty. " ...and I should have continued on to state that only the parts specifically effected by the tune in the powertrain warranty would be covered by FRPP and not FoMoCo. I apologize I did not.

Ford Racing makes the toughest, most reliable and best parts for your Mustang, bar none. That's why they are the largest Ford aftermarket parts company and that's why we take pride in selling more of their products than any other Mustang parts supplier. They are above and beyond the best choice to make when making parts upgrade decisions for your Mustang or Ford vehicle. In no way was I trying to undermine them, their products or their relationship with Ford, I was simply trying to provide accurate information regarding how the warranty process worked between them and that it's not quite as simple as FoMoCo signing off on FRPP's warranty claims.

Ford's Pro-cal is indeed a fantastic choice for Mustang owners who wish to remain mostly-stockish and retain their Ford's proud Blue Oval heritage. For some people putting anything other than Ford and Ford Racing's products on their Mustang is sacrilege and that's because together they are the two best, largest Motor Company and Performance Product companies on the planet. Together they are the most heavily supported and well-represented motorsports partners on the planet. There is no equivalent(Not BMW and their M division or Dinan or Mercedes and their AMG division or Audi and their S line) to Ford and Ford Racing parts.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies for the confusion or misunderstanding regarding our position as a company, or my own personal position for that matter, of Ford, Ford Racing Performance Products and the entire Blue Oval family.

-Chris

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
PONY Member

I believe in the Test also the tuned cars had 4:10 gears installed and the stock car was stock is that correct? That would explain lower then stock numbers on the RWHP because other test have shown on autos with that high a gear they have lost power vs stock I believe even on the Stage Car so it's not to say the FR Tune lost power it probably gained about 7-9 which is what it says it does but due to the 4:10 gears it lost that and turned a little more into torque. (correct me if I'm wrong)

2014 Mustang GT MT/3:73 Gears/Brembo Brake Package
PONY Member
5.0L Member

FYI note all ford deals will install the FRPP products actually I was unable to find any local dealer close to me that does them. Weird cause I thought I could have my dealer do it.....not. They would not.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
Apprentice

How did a simple question turn into all the back & forth over tunes & warranty & all the rest. Can anyone who has done just a tune and then later added a CAI on a 2012 automatic chime in? We don't drive dyno's we drive on the street and I am trying to decide if I want to do just a tune or a tune and CAI. On a DD is the CAI going to add anything to the seat of the pants feel other than sound when I press the pedal? My car lives 98.5% of the time in the 1000 - 3000 rpm range. I really don't care that you can make XX extra hp at 7000 rpm's, this is not where I use my car. I will be looking for what I will gain with the street or performance tune.

Can those out there help answer my questions below?

I did just the tune from _______ and my car ran & shifted much________. I would do it again yes/no.

I added a CAI from_______after running just a tune and it was/was not noticible on my street car.

Thank you for your thoughts & input

2012 GT/CS Auto, Roush TVS SC, GT500 Axel Backs, Koni STR.T, FRPP P Springs, GT500 mounts, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, BMR LCA's, BMR LCA Relo brackets, BMR adj upper control arm & Mount, M-2300-T GT500 Brake Kit
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZRNR View Post
How did a simple question turn into all the back & forth over tunes & warranty & all the rest. Can anyone who has done just a tune and then later added a CAI on a 2012 automatic chime in? We don't drive dyno's we drive on the street and I am trying to decide if I want to do just a tune or a tune and CAI. On a DD is the CAI going to add anything to the seat of the pants feel other than sound when I press the pedal? My car lives 98.5% of the time in the 1000 - 3000 rpm range. I really don't care that you can make XX extra hp at 7000 rpm's, this is not where I use my car. I will be looking for what I will gain with the street or performance tune.

Can those out there help answer my questions below?

I did just the tune from _______ and my car ran & shifted much________. I would do it again yes/no.

I added a CAI from_______after running just a tune and it was/was not noticible on my street car.

Thank you for your thoughts & input

Have a AM tune, and yes major difference! Running 87 performance tune. Later added a K and N filter. There are several posts on the forum of those noticing a big gain with tune but not the CAI. It also has been menioned that the stock CAI is well designed and might do a better job of pulling actual cold air than after market. I am not in a hurry to pay 300.00 to find out. Although CAI does look and sound cool.Not much different than adding AB mufflers in that sense. I miss the sound of a 4 barrels secondarys kicking in. The tune is diffinitely worth the money performance wise IMO.

Current
2016 gt premium, ingot silver, performance package, navigation

Previous
2012 gt premium, brembos, 3.73, 6mt, kona blue

2015 Ecoboost PP black on black 401A, security, enhanced backup

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Well I have done a search in the past and what I found on others post is that a good CAI does add some power around 10hp. However with that said, when you decrease back pressure you can decrease TQ down low. Since your stated you stay in the bottom part of the powerband it may not add a ton of value. However from just before mid range and above it should add some power and should help a bit in the 1/4 mile. I would say get a tune, then add it later, if you don't like it sell it.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
If I ever become stupid rich I'm going to buy a whole shitload of dynos and cars, with every imaginable part just to be able to do these tests on demand and bring truth to these arguments. While I firmly believe that the CAI itself does not make more power, I have no data to back that up, but nobody has any truly scientific data to prove otherwise either.

Oh, I would also have a 1/4 mile track, road course and a tame racing driver to settle the "well it makes more power but not any faster ETs" arguments.
I tend to beleive ford themselves. They claim that most of the perfornance gains wthout a tune are due to improper testing procedures. http://www.fordracingparts.com/calib...on_article.pdf

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!

2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page