Are 355's my best option - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
dafreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 942
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by karls View Post
I'm considering changing to 355's from the 331's currently in my car, and wanted to see if these would produce a noticeable increase in performance...
Are 355's my best option?

nope, 3.73's are


2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
dafreeze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Apprentice
 
wildaries83's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sumter
Posts: 223
 
I say the gear choice completely depends. I would love to jump the band wagon of auto vs tranny kill but instead I will try to help the OP. I have 3.73 and had 3.31 when I got the car. The difference here is huge. What I do not like is with all the power adding and louder exhaust is this car jumps into high rpm too easily (I know sounds wrong to say that) and screams like crazy. I am doing a lot of shifting more than what I would prefer. I think 3.55 would have been a better choice personally yet I could be wrong. 1st gear is only useful for me when babying it. Other than that I burn tires through first and about 2/3 through second. I think with the power adders, and what other adders I am putting on 3.55 would actually make first a useful race gear. But I could be wrong since have not driven 3.55

wildaries83 is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
I am doing a lot of shifting more than what I would prefer. I think 3.55 would have been a better choice personally yet I could be wrong.
Yup I agree
Now back to the 3.73 vs auto top end lol.
This is stock no tune on a flat surface. 4th goes up to 145ish. Yes I know the music is girly didn't know it was on. My 3.73's did not pull like this believe me.

2011 Mustang GT 80-150mph stock auto - YouTube


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
 
Apprentice
 
wildaries83's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sumter
Posts: 223
 
I think what you should decide more upon than anything else is do you plan on modding your ride? I will tell you now if you plan on getting in the area of 100 rwhp more 3.55s just to keep life simple lol. Looks like I am going to have to visit 5.0ben so I can smoke his automatic lol. Yall enjoy your cars!
wildaries83 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Watchdogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Old Town Alexandria
Posts: 558
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
Yup I agree
Now back to the 3.73 vs auto top end lol.
This is stock no tune on a flat surface. 4th goes up to 145ish. Yes I know the music is girly didn't know it was on. My 3.73's did not pull like this believe me.

2011 Mustang GT 80-150mph stock auto - YouTube
I can see why you sold the manual, obviously defective or maybe you just couldnt shift?

Sorry couldnt resist, this isnt my auto is faster than your manual thread.

Back to thread, above poster has a good point about future mods in mind 3.55 might be a better choice for forced induction. Also 3.73 do not kill 1st gear, may not be able to go full wot thru it or 2nd but I use mine everyday. Far as shifting more, maybe I haveit wrongbut wouldnt that mean you are in the powerband more? You can still 1 3 5 shift commuting.

Current
2016 gt premium, ingot silver, performance package, navigation

Previous
2012 gt premium, brembos, 3.73, 6mt, kona blue

2015 Ecoboost PP black on black 401A, security, enhanced backup

Watchdogg is offline  
Apprentice
 
wildaries83's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sumter
Posts: 223
 
Yes definitely in the powerband more. Yes you can use 1st by all means but now with the way my car is setup with not being stock at all, I can't use first gear while in WOT. That is what I was meaning by that. The more power you add the more 1st will not be used at all except for normal driving. The way mine is right now with WOT I can spin tires through first, and about 2/3 2nd gear. I plan on adding more power and I know for a fact 3.73 are going to be way too much unless I am driving on slicks everywhere. However, I will say 3.73 will probably be nice with the t56 magnum transmission that is suppose to come out!

Another solution is maybe 1)warmer weather tires might stick more, 2)do some burn outs to make tires more sticky! haha
wildaries83 is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
I can see why you sold the manual, obviously defective or maybe you just couldnt shift?

Sorry couldnt resist, this isnt my auto is faster than your manual thread.

I know what this threads about but this was more of a response to 46Tbird and yes I can shift, probably better than most! I've been running cars and bikes for 20 years. This is actually my first auto or second if you count the RAV4 which is my wife's primary car.
I would love to run against any 3.73 manual above 60 to prove my point. (In a safe area of course)
Watchdogg you should make a vid from 80-150 on a flat surface like mine and we'll compare or you can meet me for some friendly runs.


Nothing defective with my manual. I test drove a bunch of manual 5.0's and they all felt the same.

When I had 3.73's in my manual 1st was plenty usable and was the biggest difference I noticed compare to the 3.31's.


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
GT Member
 
dusman59's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Mesa
Posts: 1,191
 
I will be adding a super charger soon. At the last minute I changed to 3:55's from 3:73's when I ordered the car knowing I was going to mod. Also I am not as quick shifting being older....still quick but slower than when I was inn my 20's.


2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
dusman59 is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
I will be adding a super charger soon. At the last minute I changed to 3:55's from 3:73's when I ordered the car knowing I was going to mod. Also I am not as quick shifting being older....still quick but slower than when I was inn my 20's.
Nice choice especially with a power adder. 3.73' are overrated for most situations imo


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
PONY Member
 
MBreinin's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 785
 
I have 3.31s and the Pro-Cal tune on my Brembo car and I can't hook worth a crap on the street. However, I hate 6th gear. I hate it so much that I would consider putting 4.10s in this thing.

Also, how are you guys getting such good mileage? The best I have ever seen was around 24 and that was sustained highway cruising at between 80 and 85. My combined mileage is about 18, and I don't pound the car constantly.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
MBreinin is offline  
Apprentice
 
mrgtx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central
Posts: 229
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaries83 View Post
I say the gear choice completely depends. I would love to jump the band wagon of auto vs tranny kill but instead I will try to help the OP. I have 3.73 and had 3.31 when I got the car. The difference here is huge. What I do not like is with all the power adding and louder exhaust is this car jumps into high rpm too easily (I know sounds wrong to say that) and screams like crazy. I am doing a lot of shifting more than what I would prefer. I think 3.55 would have been a better choice personally yet I could be wrong. 1st gear is only useful for me when babying it. Other than that I burn tires through first and about 2/3 through second. I think with the power adders, and what other adders I am putting on 3.55 would actually make first a useful race gear. But I could be wrong since have not driven 3.55
This is what I was trying to avoid when I picked the 3.55s... I have driven many cars where you're in each gear for .01 seconds. It's not fun and it's not fast.

You're not accelerating while you're shifting.

That said, it still sounds like your car must be a blast.
mrgtx is offline  
PONY Member
 
Watchdogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Old Town Alexandria
Posts: 558
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
I know what this threads about but this was more of a response to 46Tbird and yes I can shift, probably better than most! I've been running cars and bikes for 20 years. This is actually my first auto or second if you count the RAV4 which is my wife's primary car.
I would love to run against any 3.73 manual above 60 to prove my point. (In a safe area of course)
Watchdogg you should make a vid from 80-150 on a flat surface like mine and we'll compare or you can meet me for some friendly runs.


Nothing defective with my manual. I test drove a bunch of manual 5.0's and they all felt the same.

When I had 3.73's in my manual 1st was plenty usable and was the biggest difference I noticed compare to the 3.31's.

Just busting your chops! I could careless if a car is faster than mine, just glad I get to drive mine and love every minute of it. Did not buy a brembo package 3.73 6mt to race in straight lines though, be a waste of good Pirelli Pzero rubber. I am always up for a friendly run although not running 150mph on any roads around here. I think Virginia's finest would lock us up and throw away the key and use our cars as unmarked pursuit vehicles.

I do agree with your suggestion for OP to drive the different ratios. I did and it was the 3.73 only Mustang I was going to buy, guess thats why they have options, huh? If I stay NA, might go to 4.10 eventually. Regardless Im good for now, no regrets.

Current
2016 gt premium, ingot silver, performance package, navigation

Previous
2012 gt premium, brembos, 3.73, 6mt, kona blue

2015 Ecoboost PP black on black 401A, security, enhanced backup

Watchdogg is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdogg View Post
Just busting your chops! I could careless if a car is faster than mine, just glad I get to drive mine and love every minute of it. Did not buy a brembo package 3.73 6mt to race in straight lines though, be a waste of good Pirelli Pzero rubber. I am always up for a friendly run although not running 150mph on any roads around here. I think Virginia's finest would lock us up and throw away the key and use our cars as unmarked pursuit vehicles.

I do agree with your suggestion for OP to drive the different ratios. I did and it was the 3.73 only Mustang I was going to buy, guess thats why they have options, huh? If I stay NA, might go to 4.10 eventually. Regardless Im good for now, no regrets.
No Brembo but it is a great package especially for the twisties and I love the wheels! I agree these cars are a blast man or auto


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
 
GT STYLE's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Garden Grove
Posts: 1,291
 
The auto transmission is geared different then the manual. If you have a manual, the 3.73s are probably ok. If you are in an auto, 3.55s are the only way to go. If you put 3.73s in the auto, you will never be able to hook up your rear wheels.

2011 GT/CS Coupe: Nav, comfort package, Electronics package, Borla axle back exhaust, VIS-Stalker Hood, H&R Lowering springs, Rear louvers, Complete white out, Silly GT/CS stripe deleted, powder coated rims, Tri bar pony 5.0 badges, K&N air filter.
GT STYLE is offline  
Rookie
 
Jsm6melton's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: Memphis
Posts: 41
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKJR View Post
If you think it's a little slow off the line get 373's I can't speak to 355's as I've never driven a stang with them. I test drove 315's and my car has 373's.
My car has 3:15's. How much difference between the 3:73's?

Jsm6melton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1