Are 355's my best option - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsm6melton View Post
My car has 3:15's. How much difference between the 3:73's?
Gear ratios are straight-forward math, no voodoo involved.

3.73 / 3.15 = 1.184 ; or about 18% increase.

That means that at any given engine RPM and transmission gear:
  • there will be 18% more torque reaching the rear wheels
  • the rear wheels will be turning 18% slower; meaning the car will be moving 18% slower

18% is significant / noticeable

18% more torque means it will feel quicker and more responsive. 18% slower means you have to run the engine 18% faster to travel at the same speed, which burns about 18% more gas. Your overall gas mileage won't go down that much though because there is a big mix of conditions in real driving.

Remember there is no magic; the engine is still producing the same torque and horsepower. With the change in gearing, each gear will run out quicker so you'll have to shift quicker and get into the next higher gear sooner.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

My car with 3.55 gears and 295/35/18 rear tires is near perfect to me. I wouldn't want any more, or any less gear. I have had a 3.27 geared 4.6, a 3.73 geared hci 302, and now this 3.55 geared coyote. If it makes you feel anything, I was going to swap the 3.73s out of the 302 and install 3.55s, but the car got totaled before I could. 3.55 f t w.

Rookie

Garage
Thanks for explaining that. I have a 16 GT with an auto. My buddy has a 15 with a manual and trackpack with 3:73's. My car always pulls atleast a car between 95-100. Is the auto just inherently quicker than the manual with high gears or do you think its just driver error?

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsm6melton View Post
Thanks for explaining that. I have a 16 GT with an auto. My buddy has a 15 with a manual and trackpack with 3:73's. My car always pulls atleast a car between 95-100. Is the auto just inherently quicker than the manual with high gears or do you think its just driver error?

I would put money on the auto being faster unless your buddy knows that car like the back of his hand and quick shifts/power shifts it like an artisan.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusWolf View Post
I personally decided to stay with my 3:31 gears. As they are optimal for top speed. If i ever take my car racing for a mile i would like to know that my top end is not hurt but shorter gears.

Think about how often you get a chance to drive top end vs how often you get to enjoy improved acceleration on a freeway on ramp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I ran the 3.55 on my '87 for about twelve years. I loved the response. These are a great combination of performance, drivability and traction.

Pete
cpembach1 likes this.

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Think about how often you get a chance to drive top end vs how often you get to enjoy improved acceleration on a freeway on ramp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

3.31 seems like the best rear end ratio for the MT82 to me also, but not because of top speed. These cars will never hit the theoretical top speed in 6th gear anyway, they are limited by the speed limiter and/or drag long before that. There are some situations where you might hit slightly higher top speed with 3.31's in 5th gear than 3.73's in 6th gear . . . . but that is at some very high speed like 150+ MPH anyway, and who really goes that fast? Unless on a road track with a really long straight, nobody.

The 3.31's just work out to a better overall range of gears for overall driving -- I see no need for a steeper first gear, and it gives you a fairly tall 6th gear for highway cruising.

On the on ramp or the highway, you can just downshift, unless you are already pushing 7,000 RPM, which I doubt.
Pete Grimaldi likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

Garage
Having a manual and 3.55 gears, I find I start a lot from 2nd gear, especially doing the slight rolling stops. My combo is still stock but I feel that if I had 3.73's then 1st would be almost useless given how quickly I have to shift to 2nd already. I can imagine just how much worse it would be with more power. The engine stock already has more than enough power to max anything you could put to the tires in 1st gear. So for me I wouldn't go to 3.73's as I don't think I could shift the MT82 fast enough to make it anything but slower than with 3.55's. I know there are a lot of opinions about what is best, but for me the 3.55's seem the best ratio for power whether stock or modified. Plus I still get over 24MPG at 75MPH, more if I keep it legal..........

C.Andersen
2013 GT/CS "Malice"

This topic can go on forever and a gear change is something you only want to do once usually if you are not a mechanic and are not rich We prefer a 3.73 in the N/A cars, it is best for street, strip, daily drivers, and you will still get good mileage. We see 23-25 highway no problem.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by candersen View Post
Having a manual and 3.55 gears, I find I start a lot from 2nd gear, especially doing the slight rolling stops. My combo is still stock but I feel that if I had 3.73's then 1st would be almost useless given how quickly I have to shift to 2nd already. I can imagine just how much worse it would be with more power. The engine stock already has more than enough power to max anything you could put to the tires in 1st gear. So for me I wouldn't go to 3.73's as I don't think I could shift the MT82 fast enough to make it anything but slower than with 3.55's. I know there are a lot of opinions about what is best, but for me the 3.55's seem the best ratio for power whether stock or modified. Plus I still get over 24MPG at 75MPH, more if I keep it legal..........
3.55s in mine too. Also start a lot from 2nd gear. I'm really happy with the 3.55s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page