Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are 355's my best option

16K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  JG-1 
#1 ·
I'm considering changing to 355's from the 331's currently in my car, and wanted to see if these would produce a noticeable increase in performance

The car is my dd and I don't want to lose too much in the way of gas mileage.......and I only use 1st gear on hills. But it is a little slow off the line.

Oh, and anyone got suggestions for a shop somewhere in Austin?

Thanks.

#36 ·
Yes definitely in the powerband more. Yes you can use 1st by all means but now with the way my car is setup with not being stock at all, I can't use first gear while in WOT. That is what I was meaning by that. The more power you add the more 1st will not be used at all except for normal driving. The way mine is right now with WOT I can spin tires through first, and about 2/3 2nd gear. I plan on adding more power and I know for a fact 3.73 are going to be way too much unless I am driving on slicks everywhere. However, I will say 3.73 will probably be nice with the t56 magnum transmission that is suppose to come out!

Another solution is maybe 1)warmer weather tires might stick more, 2)do some burn outs to make tires more sticky! haha

#37 ·
I can see why you sold the manual, obviously defective or maybe you just couldnt shift? :winks

Sorry couldnt resist, this isnt my auto is faster than your manual thread.

I know what this threads about but this was more of a response to 46Tbird and yes I can shift, probably better than most! I've been running cars and bikes for 20 years. This is actually my first auto or second if you count the RAV4 which is my wife's primary car.
I would love to run against any 3.73 manual above 60 to prove my point. (In a safe area of course)
Watchdogg you should make a vid from 80-150 on a flat surface like mine and we'll compare:) or you can meet me for some friendly runs.

Nothing defective with my manual. I test drove a bunch of manual 5.0's and they all felt the same.

When I had 3.73's in my manual 1st was plenty usable and was the biggest difference I noticed compare to the 3.31's.

#42 ·
I know what this threads about but this was more of a response to 46Tbird and yes I can shift, probably better than most! I've been running cars and bikes for 20 years. This is actually my first auto or second if you count the RAV4 which is my wife's primary car.
I would love to run against any 3.73 manual above 60 to prove my point. (In a safe area of course)
Watchdogg you should make a vid from 80-150 on a flat surface like mine and we'll compare:) or you can meet me for some friendly runs.

Nothing defective with my manual. I test drove a bunch of manual 5.0's and they all felt the same.

When I had 3.73's in my manual 1st was plenty usable and was the biggest difference I noticed compare to the 3.31's.

Just busting your chops! :) I could careless if a car is faster than mine, just glad I get to drive mine and love every minute of it. Did not buy a brembo package 3.73 6mt to race in straight lines though, be a waste of good Pirelli Pzero rubber. I am always up for a friendly run although not running 150mph on any roads around here. I think Virginia's finest would lock us up and throw away the key and use our cars as unmarked pursuit vehicles. :heha:

I do agree with your suggestion for OP to drive the different ratios. I did and it was the 3.73 only Mustang I was going to buy, guess thats why they have options, huh? If I stay NA, might go to 4.10 eventually. Regardless Im good for now, no regrets.

#38 ·
I will be adding a super charger soon. At the last minute I changed to 3:55's from 3:73's when I ordered the car knowing I was going to mod. Also I am not as quick shifting being older....still quick but slower than when I was inn my 20's.

#39 ·
Nice choice especially with a power adder. 3.73' are overrated for most situations imo

#40 ·
I have 3.31s and the Pro-Cal tune on my Brembo car and I can't hook worth a crap on the street. However, I hate 6th gear. I hate it so much that I would consider putting 4.10s in this thing.

Also, how are you guys getting such good mileage? The best I have ever seen was around 24 and that was sustained highway cruising at between 80 and 85. My combined mileage is about 18, and I don't pound the car constantly.

Mike

#44 ·
The auto transmission is geared different then the manual. If you have a manual, the 3.73s are probably ok. If you are in an auto, 3.55s are the only way to go. If you put 3.73s in the auto, you will never be able to hook up your rear wheels.

#47 ·
My car with 3.55 gears and 295/35/18 rear tires is near perfect to me. I wouldn't want any more, or any less gear. I have had a 3.27 geared 4.6, a 3.73 geared hci 302, and now this 3.55 geared coyote. If it makes you feel anything, I was going to swap the 3.73s out of the 302 and install 3.55s, but the car got totaled before I could. 3.55 f t w.

#51 ·
I ran the 3.55 on my '87 for about twelve years. I loved the response. These are a great combination of performance, drivability and traction.

Pete

Reactions: cpembach1
#53 ·
Having a manual and 3.55 gears, I find I start a lot from 2nd gear, especially doing the slight rolling stops:smile:. My combo is still stock but I feel that if I had 3.73's then 1st would be almost useless given how quickly I have to shift to 2nd already. I can imagine just how much worse it would be with more power. The engine stock already has more than enough power to max anything you could put to the tires in 1st gear. So for me I wouldn't go to 3.73's as I don't think I could shift the MT82 fast enough to make it anything but slower than with 3.55's. I know there are a lot of opinions about what is best, but for me the 3.55's seem the best ratio for power whether stock or modified. Plus I still get over 24MPG at 75MPH, more if I keep it legal..........

#54 ·
This topic can go on forever and a gear change is something you only want to do once usually if you are not a mechanic and are not rich :) We prefer a 3.73 in the N/A cars, it is best for street, strip, daily drivers, and you will still get good mileage. We see 23-25 highway no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.