Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread. - Page 17 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced PING with the FRPP Pro-Cal?
Yes, I have experienced it. 24 24.24%
No, I have never experienced it. 61 61.62%
I experienced it, but cured it with octane adjust or different gas 5 5.05%
I experienced it, could not cure it and either ignore it, or went to a different tune/stock 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Flame suit on, but the power gains from one tuner to another (including FRPP) are apples to oranges. My opinion is it is the area under the curve that counts. I did the FRPP II calibration tune in early 2012 and have had zero problems after about 3800 miles. Throttle response is outstanding. And perhaps I have an engineer's bias, but I remain skeptical that there are tuner wizards with little or no academic background s who can diddle with complex settings and achieve results that Ford engineers have missed. Results that in no way will cause long-term negatives. I recommend that anyone contemplating a tune read FRPP's thoughts. (pp. 76-78 in 2014 FRPP catalog). No, I have no connection with Ford in any way.

2011 GT Premium Brembo ("Spirit"), Kona/red, 1.5" drop, Goodridge SS brake lines, 3.73's, LPW Ultra diff cover, HID, JLT oil catch can, FRPP ProCal II w. Airaid, FRPP X-pipe, Roush axlebacks, Boss LS tranny cooler, Boss oil cooler, Boss radiator, Torsen T2-R; FRPP "K" springs, struts, shocks, mounts, anti-rollbars, upper strut brace, poly bushings; Barton shifter/MkII bracket, CG-Lock, Grabber knob, silver Forgestar CF5 19x9 35mm offset, AE aluminum driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
I answered no, been running the tune on '13 for about 4K miles now with no problems at all and in fact gained a couple of extra MPGs. That's with 91 octane, which is the highest available in California. I do stick to top tier brands though. Agree with the previous poster that the Ford Racing product, coming in close cooperation with Ford, gives me some piece of mind about it being more thoroughly worked out. Also being a engineer myself, I understand there can be some pretty subtle nuances that only the engineers at Ford or very close to Ford can understand.

MichaelG likes this.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
Apprentice

For what it's worth:

I've had the FRPP Track Cal on my 2014 Mustang for about 6 months. I always fill my tank with 93 octane, either Shell or Chevron. I had a JLT catch can on the passenger side and still experienced pinging under certain conditions; more so with octane adjust set to N, and less when it was set to Y. It was clearly noticeable.

I bought JPC breathers and installed them earlier this week, and the pinging is completely gone. No pinging with octane adjust set to N, AC on, and very hot/humid weather where I live.

My JLT catch can always had some oil in the tube after the catch can, so it must have still been letting oil into the intake - which causes pinging according to FRPP.

2014 Track Pack 5.0
Stock except for GT500 axlebacks.

Apprentice

I have had three different stages of the procal tool, the initial air filter and procal tool which I ran for a year, the 525 supercharger kit and now the 624 kit. I haven't had any issues to date. The first update I think really doesn't do a whole bunch except eliminate skip shift and after installing the supercharger the car has ran smoothly.

[SIGPIC]2013 GT/CS with FRPP 624 supercharger kit, Ford racing 3" catback, Barton short shifter and 2post bracket, aluminum one piece drive shaft, Ford Racing Laguna Seca wheels, Ford racing SVT Brembo front brakes, GT/CS door sil plates, Chrome shifter ball, Ford Racing boost guage in Roush vent pod
Rookie

Octane Requirement

I have a 2013 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L. 420hp. Do I need to use premium or is regular OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
I am posting up this thread and poll to see who has the FRPP Pro-Cal installed, and to find out if you have experienced PINGING, under what conditions and if you have been able to remedy it in any way.

I have the Pro-Cal and have been experiencing ping. I am trying various gas stations to see if I can find a fill that will help. I was favoring Shell, but then I read that Shell uses additives that can cause ping.

Right now I have a tank half full of Shell 93 and half of Conoco 93 from a station that advertises no Ethanol mixed in any of their grades.

I also added a bottle of NOS octane booster after reading that it is one of the few snakeoil in a can boosters that actually has shown results. So far, I have not been able to produce ping on the octane adjust enabled setting. With it disabled, I have.

Also, does anyone know precisely what the octane adjust setting does? Is it a global reduction in timing, or is it like the stock tune, which can detect and adjust for octane level? I am going back to the track and I want maximum power, so I want to disable it for my next runs.

Thanks,

Mike
MACH I Member

Anyone in Canada using Shell 91 Octane (no ethanol) experience pinging with the Pro-cal?

Present: 2012 Mustang GT/CS - Race red - Electronics package - Security package - 3.73 - Steeda shift knob - Steeda shift bracket - ProCal II Tune - GT500 ABs - Shaftmasters DS - Boss 302S Wheels - Build date: February 14th, 2012

Past: 2011 Mustang V6 - Pony Package Premium Coupe - Black - Charcoal Leather - Roush Front Fascia - Matte Black Lemans and Hockey Stick Hood Stripes - 6% HP Charcoal Tint - 3.31
Apprentice

Garage
I am interested in the Pro-Cal tune because I would like to maintain the Ford CPO warranty. At the same time I do not want a ping. That said, does anyone know if the new Ford Performance oil separator stops the ping? The oil separator can be found here:
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...separator.html
PONY Member

Garage
Sometimes helps, other times makes zero difference. The ping is a hit or miss proposition.

JediDave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Rookie

No issues yet after 3 years of the Pro cal tune. I am also running an x pipe, high flow mufflers, and a AEM CAI. I will listen for issues but I love how my car runs.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page