Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread. - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced PING with the FRPP Pro-Cal?
Yes, I have experienced it. 24 24.24%
No, I have never experienced it. 61 61.62%
I experienced it, but cured it with octane adjust or different gas 5 5.05%
I experienced it, could not cure it and either ignore it, or went to a different tune/stock 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Is anyone using their FRPP tune with a CAI? I'd like to do this combo if I go the FRPP route and was wondering if this affects the pinging issue...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
I think its just the car in general. It ran rough when cold before it was tuned. And by cold I mean below 40. After 10 minutes all is good, I just keep it under 2500 rpms til then.
When you had your tune installed, did you follow the 15 minute idle relearn procedure that's in the owner's manual? If you haven't done it, you might give it a try. Basically, you disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, then do a stone-cold start followed by idling until fully warm with the A/C switched on for the last 2 minutes.

My car, with the tune, starts and runs better cold than the stock tune did. Best cold driveability of any car I've ever owned.

2014 GT500
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
When you had your tune installed, did you follow the 15 minute idle relearn procedure that's in the owner's manual? If you haven't done it, you might give it a try. Basically, you disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, then do a stone-cold start followed by idling until fully warm with the A/C switched on for the last 2 minutes.

My car, with the tune, starts and runs better cold than the stock tune did. Best cold driveability of any car I've ever owned.
No I didn't........I think I'll give this a shot. Like I said, by cold I mean sub 40 degrees. The other day I left for work it was 8 out. In ten minutes the motor was smooth and so was my MT82

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.

PONY Member

I've driven mine from cold in 20-25 degree F degree temps and it was fine. Not as cold as your situation, but brisk just the same.

2014 GT500
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafreeze View Post
Gains are advertised as ~ 16 peak Hp, 7 peak #'s torque. Up to 60# of torque @ 1500rpm.

No pinging here, octane adjust @ N. I love the tune and sleep well regarding potential warranty concerns.

W/the torque curve bumping up as much as it does @ 1500 and my experince with and withot the tune (4 months and 12K miles without, 3 months and 4K miles with) I'm convinced you have more overall usable gains (ie area under the curve) than the 16/7 would otherwise imply. Car pulls harder throughout, especially down low.
I couldn't agree more - the peak number doesn't tell the story when it comes to this tune. It completely changes the way you launch the car. Just off of idle will break the tires loose at times. It makes the car feel so much faster on the street and far more predictible every time you hit the gas.

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
PONY Member

With all that said, the think I like BEST about the FRPP tune is that when you lift off the throttle, the car actually slows down! It doesn't hang there and wait like the stock tune.

2014 GT500
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Kona5.0 View Post
I couldn't agree more - the peak number doesn't tell the story when it comes to this tune. It completely changes the way you launch the car. Just off of idle will break the tires loose at times. It makes the car feel so much faster on the street and far more predictible every time you hit the gas.
Did a lot of reading before ordering my car. I added the FR Power Upgrade Pkg as an accessory (this is the Pro Cal tune + GT500 mufflers). Had read one poster here who commented that he had 4 canned tunes and that for driveability and seat of pants feel, the Pro Cal was his favorite.

This and others comments, plus my warranty concerns, were the reasons I went w/the Pro Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
With all that said, the think I like BEST about the FRPP tune is that when you lift off the throttle, the car actually slows down! It doesn't hang there and wait like the stock tune.
Crispening up the throttle response was a good part of my reasoning for wanting a tune in the first place. Had only driven a 5.0 once (fairly lenghty test drive in an MT82) and the throttle lag, both on accel and decel, was my only beef.

2012 GT Prem Cp, Kona w/MT-82, 401A, 3.73's & HID/Sec. GT-500 Spoiler & OE sidescoops. FR Pwr Upgrd & FR3 Adj Hndl Packs. MaxMoto CC plates. BMR Adj Panhard. 255/45 and 285/40-18 Conti DW's on silver Forgestar CF5's.Tint, clear bra, CDC Dead Pedal, JLT Oil Separator and Black in Back.

Ordered 3/18/11. Built 5/4. ETA 5/22. Arrived 5/24.
post #38 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

This is interesting. 50% have experienced ping and 50% say they have not. I wonder what the difference is? Quality of gasoline in various states? Maybe some people are not detecting the ping, but it is there?

Strikes me odd that there would be such an even split between the ping and no ping.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
Apprentice

FRPP does say that pinging may be present in the Pro-Cal (didn't have any pinging on my 2011) and considers brief pinging normal even with the Boss TracKey. Check out http://www.fordracingparts.com.

Performance White 2012 BOSS
post #40 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StDavid View Post
FRPP does say that pinging may be present in the Pro-Cal (didn't have any pinging on my 2011) and considers brief pinging normal even with the Boss TracKey. Check out http://www.fordracingparts.com.
I understand that they consider it to be "normal." I have a difference of opinion. Detonation, to me, is not normal or acceptable.

Mike

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
This is interesting. 50% have experienced ping and 50% say they have not. I wonder what the difference is? Quality of gasoline in various states? Maybe some people are not detecting the ping, but it is there?

Strikes me odd that there would be such an even split between the ping and no ping.

Mike
I was wondering the same thing. Is it the quality of gasoline between states. I'm in CA. I don't know where to get 93. I put 91 octane in the tank and the car has always run fine. Doesn't ping.

Could be a combination of factors: outdoor temps when it pings, whether or not you let your car "learn" the recalibration during installation, the gasoline, how new your engine was when you recalibrated. Who knows.

Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #42 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCoyote View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Is it the quality of gasoline between states. I'm in CA. I don't know where to get 93. I put 91 octane in the tank and the car has always run fine. Doesn't ping.

Could be a combination of factors: outdoor temps when it pings, whether or not you let your car "learn" the recalibration during installation, the gasoline, how new your engine was when you recalibrated. Who knows.
What exactly do you mean by "learn the recalibration during installation?" I installed it, the computer accepted the tune, I drove the car. Actually, the pinging did not show up for about two weeks. I installed it the day before Thanksgiving. I am thinking it has to do with the gas that is available right now. Maybe we are getting the "winter blend" stuff?

Mike

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
What exactly do you mean by "learn the recalibration during installation?" I installed it, the computer accepted the tune, I drove the car. Actually, the pinging did not show up for about two weeks. I installed it the day before Thanksgiving. I am thinking it has to do with the gas that is available right now. Maybe we are getting the "winter blend" stuff?

Mike
In your Owner's Manual, somewhere between pages 275 and 285 (depending on year and edition) there's a procedure for your ECU to relearn it's idle trim settings.

It probably doesn't affect the pinging if you have it, but it can affect cold driveability.

2014 GT500
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcNasty View Post
I am looking into purchasing this tuner due to factory warranty concerns and am very concerned about pinging. This shouldnt be happening IMO from a FoMoCo tune!

I did not vote in the poll since I dont have it yet, but am very interested in what everyone has to say...
Your going to buy a tune and put it on the car your trying to lemon??

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Apprentice

I experienced it, could not cure it - ford even sent a revision that made no difference. Mild ping on 91 octane in Phoenix Az area with Octane Adjust on and off, more in dry warm weather but still there in cooler weather. No ping with Bama, AED and SCT but do like the drive by wire with the ProCal - ping is not acceptable to me on this awesome engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page