Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread. - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced PING with the FRPP Pro-Cal?
Yes, I have experienced it. 24 24.24%
No, I have never experienced it. 61 61.62%
I experienced it, but cured it with octane adjust or different gas 5 5.05%
I experienced it, could not cure it and either ignore it, or went to a different tune/stock 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Ford Racing has great customer service but needs to address the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

91 octane, tune installed about 2 weeks, no issues.

2012 Mustang 5.0 - 2002 Focus ZTW - 2012 Kia Soul - 1969 Mustang GT
post #48 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAz5.0 View Post
I experienced it, could not cure it - ford even sent a revision that made no difference. Mild ping on 91 octane in Phoenix Az area with Octane Adjust on and off, more in dry warm weather but still there in cooler weather. No ping with Bama, AED and SCT but do like the drive by wire with the ProCal - ping is not acceptable to me on this awesome engine.
Hmmm, I have not thought of calling them for a revision. My ping returned today with the Conoco no-ethanol 93 and octane adjust on. This time I tried the Lucas octane boost and it cured it. I will turn the octane adjust off and see what happens. I am seriously considering a full dyno tune from either JMS or Stang-Hi, both of which are local...or maybe one of the better mail order tunes like BAMA or Amazon.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.

post #49 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Turned off the octane adjust this morning and ran it under some conditions that would usually bring on ping. No ping with the Conoco "Ethanol Free" 93 in the tank and a can of Lucas "Race" octane boost. It is also warmer today than it has been in a while, around 75, so it would be more likely to ping. Maybe this is the magic mix that will cure the dread ping? I usually look to octane boost as snake oil, but the Lucas has had favorable reviews and it is working, for now.

Mike

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Turned off the octane adjust this morning and ran it under some conditions that would usually bring on ping. No ping with the Conoco "Ethanol Free" 93 in the tank and a can of Lucas "Race" octane boost. It is also warmer today than it has been in a while, around 75, so it would be more likely to ping. Maybe this is the magic mix that will cure the dread ping? I usually look to octane boost as snake oil, but the Lucas has had favorable reviews and it is working, for now.

Mike
How much gas was in the tank?

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
post #51 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
How much gas was in the tank?
Right now there is a 1/4 tank in there. I mixed the Lucas in with a full tank, however. The car does feel snappier with the octane adjust turned off. I wonder if there is a true performance difference? Next time I go to the track it will be set to N. It was set to Y when I went for the first time.

Mike

PONY Member

Im waiting to see the results, I really want to pull the trigger on the Ford procal but would like see some track numbers. Do you feel like it is worth the gain if it didn't have ping issues?

Ex Ford tech for 17 years, 1987 Mustang GT project car. 2010 Flex with Ecoboost
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cool. I was gonna toss in a can next time I go to the track and turn octana adjust off. Mine never pings (knock on wood) but better safe then sorry.

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
post #54 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swetrid View Post
Im waiting to see the results, I really want to pull the trigger on the Ford procal but would like see some track numbers. Do you feel like it is worth the gain if it didn't have ping issues?
I went 12.8 @113. However, the car was hot-lapped on that pass and I had a very traction limited 2.2 60 foot..as well as having the octane adjust enabled and some of the traction control enabled as well (I just clicked the button off and did not do the full disable). The car has low 12's in it for sure. I know that a member over on The Corral went 12.0 @ 116 with the Pro-Cal in a car with very limited mods, but traction. I like the tune, it is snappy and it wakes up the car. However, if you are considering BAMA you will have to decide between the two, because once you install the Pro-Cal, BAMA will not warranty their tunes if you switch over.

Quote:
Cool. I was gonna toss in a can next time I go to the track and turn octana adjust off. Mine never pings (knock on wood) but better safe then sorry.
The Lucas works better that the NOS stuff. I got the NOS to ping with Octane adjust set to N, so far no ping with Lucas. The Lucas is cheaper too. I hate to add $10 to an already expensive fill, but I would feel much worse if being cheap over $10 caused me to damage the engine.

Mike

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swetrid View Post
And I went [email protected], 1.8 60'. frpp tune (no filter), magnaflow cat back, and 17" drs. Had trouble getting into 3rd or could have touched 11's or gotten real close.

PONY Member

Nice times! Thats what I wanna hear.

Ex Ford tech for 17 years, 1987 Mustang GT project car. 2010 Flex with Ecoboost
post #57 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
And I went [email protected], 1.8 60'. frpp tune (no filter), magnaflow cat back, and 17" drs. Had trouble getting into 3rd or could have touched 11's or gotten real close.
Damn good times.

I am going to get tires on mine and see if I can touch the 11's.

Mike

Rookie

I've run every kind of gas available and haven't had any ping. All 93 octane and octane adjust set to N.

Ran a 12.28 @ 114.45 with 28 inch tall drag radials, K springs and the FRPP 3 inch catback.
post #59 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by witt View Post
I've run every kind of gas available and haven't had any ping. All 93 octane and octane adjust set to N.

Ran a 12.28 @ 114.45 with 28 inch tall drag radials, K springs and the FRPP 3 inch catback.
Great times. I wonder what is the deciding factor when it comes down to ping? The no-pings are winning over the pings. I heard some tonight with my witch's brew in there, very faint and gone very quickly. I may have to turn the octane adjust on again.

Apprentice
S197 Member

My baby is stored for the Wisconsin winter but I did manage about 2,000 miles on the tune before storage.No pinging whatso ever and I really like it,especially since FoMoCo is now standing behind this tune for 3/36 from the day your Ford warranty started.Sooner it's installed the more warranty you will have with it.

KOZZ 2011 GT 5.0 Premium Convertible,6 spd.Manual Trans.,Kona Blue,Stone Leather,Black Cloth Top,Electronics/Nav.Pkg.,Comfort Pkg.,Security Pkg.,18"Polished Aluminum Wheels,Rear Video Camera,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust ,Ford Racing Procal tune w/K&N drop- in,CDC Aggressive chin spoiler,A.M. hood struts to get rid of the fugly prop rod!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page