Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread. - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced PING with the FRPP Pro-Cal?
Yes, I have experienced it. 24 24.24%
No, I have never experienced it. 61 61.62%
I experienced it, but cured it with octane adjust or different gas 5 5.05%
I experienced it, could not cure it and either ignore it, or went to a different tune/stock 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 249 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by witt View Post
What was your logged commanded and actual air/fuel ratio with the Pro-Cal?
Commanded Lambda was .859. Actual was .87 Lambda.

I would be glad to send you the logs if you want to look at them.

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
I am now running a new tune. Pro-Cal is boxed up. It is actually for sale if anyone is interested. For me, it was a great feeling tune on the low-end..but my car pinged. I could not deal with that.

Some things I learned:

There is a huge wallop of tip-in timing around 2,000 rpm. There is your big torque increase.

It is not timing that is the big issue with this tune, it is fuel. This is a lean tune (as I suspected), probably because of the CARB certification. That is also why it is snappy.

The Pro-Cal still rules the roost for throttle response and engine braking.

Mike
Since you have to register this with ford can you just sell it? Do you have to unlock it with frpp? Will this work with a 2012? I may be interested which is why I asked.

post #78 of 249 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKJR View Post
Since you have to register this with ford can you just sell it? Do you have to unlock it with frpp? Will this work with a 2012? I may be interested which is why I asked.
It is transferable once you re-install the stock tune and "unmarry" the tuner from the car. I installed mine myself, so it was never registered in the Ford/FRPP warranty system. My car is a 2012. As long as you have the same series processor, it can be installed without trouble.

My PCM: CR3A-14C204-ACA.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.

Rookie

Quote:
Commanded Lambda was .859. Actual was .87 Lambda.

I would be glad to send you the logs if you want to look at them.

Mike
Thats very similar to what mine shows other than a few things. My actual follows my commanded very well, probably the result of trims learned after having it installed for 12k+ miles. Also, mine richens up to a 12.0 flat once cat/flange/o2 protection adders start coming in at the mid to upper rpm range.

I've just never considered a 12.6 afr to be lean on any NA engine.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My car still runs good with this tune (Sunoco 93 only goes into my car) but you have me nervous Mike. I may have it dynoed and have af measured to be sure.
I wonder what will happen when it's 95 degrees out? I used to stare at my Accessport on my MS3 when it was hot outside, watching boost air temp and kr. I don't want to worry about the same things with this car.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
post #81 of 249 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
My car still runs good with this tune (Sunoco 93 only goes into my car) but you have me nervous Mike. I may have it dynoed and have af measured to be sure.
I wonder what will happen when it's 95 degrees out? I used to stare at my Accessport on my MS3 when it was hot outside, watching boost air temp and kr. I don't want to worry about the same things with this car.
I still think it is a great tune. However, I could not completely eliminate the ping. My AED tune pulls harder and is ping free. It does not have the FRPP low end, but I can accept that.

Mike

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Well, I don't know how I missed that thread but I did... I searched for it from another thread: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...stalled-6.html when I saw Mike talking about it:
Quote:
Well, I did talk about it on just about every forum I frequent and there was Pro-Cal thread. It was really that I was trying to get a feel for what other people have experienced. I had the huge poll here as well. I was surprised that most people actually didn't claim the ping. So, there you go. Like I said, it concerned me and I could not shake it. It made me paranoid, so I ditched it.

Mike
So, I've read all the pages and I'm glad to see that most folks don't have issues with this tune, as it is a tune I've been considering myself for some times now, but always backed off due to the ping issues I've read here and there.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one to hold on because of these issues. Still wondering if I should go for it or not...
Thanks for all your comments and informations!

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #83 of 249 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Well, I don't know how I missed that thread but I did... I searched for it from another thread: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...stalled-6.html when I saw Mike talking about it:

So, I've read all the pages and I'm glad to see that most folks don't have issues with this tune, as it is a tune I've been considering myself for some times now, but always backed off due to the ping issues I've read here and there.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one to hold on because of these issues. Still wondering if I should go for it or not...
Thanks for all your comments and informations!
I say try it, why not?

Mike

PONY Member
5.0L Member

I was thinking over 1/2 people noticed it seems like a lot to me.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I say try it, why not?

Mike
Tempting..., very tempting...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Tempting..., very tempting...
Just do it. I just registered mine and it should be delivered any day now.
PONY Member

I was just reading this on the ford racing site under some FAQ section about the Boss Trackey and found it interesting.

I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?

TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full
advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response
available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine
speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside

Ex Ford tech for 17 years, 1987 Mustang GT project car. 2010 Flex with Ecoboost
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yup, JohnRichard reported it on another thread : https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...talled-10.html it seems like the Boss has the same thing. Kind of gives a peace of mind as this might be a Ford tune thing...

Apprentice

2011/2012 Ford Mustang GT - ProCal:
1. The ProCal tune pings - doesn't matter what gas - shame on you FRPP or who ever your third party programer is.
2. The ProCal tune pings - Ford Racing even sent me a modified tune with timing taken out. Sorry it still pings, holy crap they admitted to the issue.
3. My ProCal actually caused a complete ECM failure. Had to mail back to Ford Racing for a complete re-flash. Wow - it is extremely fragile from a s/w design standpoint, gui, etc .. !
4. The ProCal can cause many issues - on the DTC clear it always shines a red light for FAILURE - Ford Racing is quick to point out that it is normal SOMETIMES !!! Get real.
5. The ProCal is not up to normal Ford Racing parts standards - get it right !
Be careful out there !!!
GT Member

Quote:
The ProCal tune pings - Ford Racing even sent me a modified tune with timing taken out. Sorry it still pings, holy crap they admitted to the issue.
I've never heard of anyone getting a modified tune from Ford Racing.
Did it decrease the ping at all or was it the same as before?
Was this trying both N and Y settings on the modified tune?
Was your car noticeably slower with the modified tune and less timing?

I've experienced 3 tunes from Ford Racing, 2 for my 5.0's and one for my fathers
5.0. Neither of mine never pinged and his does. Set on Y does not ping at all unless its hot out.
Set on N is manageable if cool out. According to Ford Racing the ping caused by their tune is inconsequential.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page