Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread. - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced PING with the FRPP Pro-Cal?
Yes, I have experienced it. 24 24.24%
No, I have never experienced it. 61 61.62%
I experienced it, but cured it with octane adjust or different gas 5 5.05%
I experienced it, could not cure it and either ignore it, or went to a different tune/stock 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A forum is made to share information, I don't see the use of doing so by PM, unless it's personal information. By helping one person on the board where everyone can see and participate, helps very often others at the same time.

Cababah is not bashing anyone or any company, he's been here for some times and has always been helpful and respectful to anyone, as far as I can recall. Let's not get into some useless "fight" here, we're among great folks who share the same interest: Mustangs.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cababah View Post
Something..something..pot and kettle...

This is a forum, it is a place to share information and experiences (good or bad). I never set out to tarnish any person or company's reputation but just to share my experience(s). However, you obviously mis-interpreted that as some sort of smear campaign..let's not get me confused with Jmatero here.

I could really care less what you do outside of the forums as I am sure you don't care what I do. There is no need for a pissing match here but just do some research before calling another member's experiences and knowledge they are sharing "b.s."

kthx, bye
Then maybe YOU should do a little research and get up to date on things. We are past where you were at when you had the tune.

-Ant

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
A forum is made to share information, I don't see the use of doing so by PM, unless it's personal information. By helping one person on the board where everyone can see and participate, helps very often others at the same time.

Cababah is not bashing anyone or any company, he's been here for some times and has always been helpful and respectful to anyone, as far as I can recall. Let's not get into some useless "fight" here, we're among great folks who share the same interest: Mustangs.
I don't post cause I receive negativity for trying to help others. So I help people in my own way, and stay out of bs like this, with uninformed people telling me to do research. Lol

-Ant

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Not here to add any fuel to any fire. But I experienced the infamous FRPP(procal) pinging with my SCT when I tried using the canned tune from SCT instead of the BAMA tune. It is a very distinct sound, like you are shaking a can of spray paint at 5k shakes per minute.... I immediately shut it down and returned to the BAMA 93 Tune I had previously been using, YMMV, but wanted to SHARE for others. I did post this somewhere(in a FRPP pinging thread) right when it happened, but nobody seemed to give a rats arse, and still may not. Funny thing is, I don't give a rats arse either, just sharing, because that is what the forum is for...

Some people lead the way blindly, Others follow with 20/20 vision

Aaron S.
2011 5.0| MT82| White/Saddle|HID|Brembo|3.73| GT/CS Fascia| Saleen Grill| DynaTech LT's and O/R X| AFCO Aluminum Radiator | J&M LCA's & RELO's|Hurst Billet + | Eibach Pro Springs| KONI STR-T |Bama93| Airaid| 255/40/19(f)285/35/19(r) Kuhmo ECSTA XS|

Gone but not forgotten
|08 Mustang GT, MT Black| 05 IS 300 MT Black| 00 Camaro SS MT Black|95 Acura Integra GSR MT Black | 91 Prelude Si 4WS MT Black|

Apprentice

Quote:
Glad for you it seems to get better! Maybe the tune needs some time to adjust...? Just like the engine needs some time to break in, just wondering...

Going back with the stock tune and having the oil life monitor TSB done has nothing to do with it as the FRPP Tune just override everything from the stock one. This has been confirmed to me by my Ford service manager and Ford Racing.

I wouldn't put less than the 8 quarts of oil that are suppose to be in our Mustangs.

Again, glad to hear some good news for once, and I hope it will get better and stay that way for you!
Oh it's had lot's of time and plenty of miles in between going back and forth to relearn everything. I've been very careful to always follow the correct proceedure, and follow up with a crank sensor relearn.

It seems that at least the code for certain things such as the oil life monitor is kept seperately. Otherwise, my oil life monitor would be back to counting down to 0% oil life left every 5k miles like it did before. When I just got my oil changed after 5k miles, it still showed almost 50% left.

So, putting the ProCal back on didn't overwrite or change that part for me. It's still fixed, and it wasn't when I was running the ProCal before I had the TSB done. Doesn't surprise me, as the regular Joe's who answer the phone at FRPP and at least half of the people I've spoken to at dealerships have given me incorrect or conflicting info more than a couple of times. All it takes to get the wrong info is for the person giving it to you to be wrong. I've learned to take everything with a grain of salt, no matter what the source.

Just to be clear for everyone... I'm not running less than 8 quarts, I'm just not letting them dump all of 8 quarts in on top of what's left in the system that you can't get out after it's drained (or that the tech doesn't let completely drain out because he's in a hurry). My oil level is still in the cross-hatched area both when stone cold as well as when it's hot and reads a little more than that due to the oil expanding when it's hot.

I would never run less than within the acceptable range on the dipstick, and they even tell you not to add any as long as it's within that range in the owners manual. I'm just going to make sure I never run more than that amount again either. I've got roughly a half quart left after carefully adding enough of the 8th quart to get it right where it needs to be. I hope everyone understands that I'm not suggesting to run a quart low... Although, even with 7 quarts added, it was still within the acceptable range on the dipstick, even if only by a tiny bit.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
JR-15 HBAR,

An official 8 quarts does show over filled on the dipstick, but I'm not sure how "accurate" that is though. I've been monitoring my oil level weekly and I believe it burned about less than 1/4 quart in 1k miles. I've got to double check later after work, but the oil level was perfectly at the top oil whole on Friday. It was just a tad bit over the whole the day of the oil change. Maybe it just leveled out and not burned. I'm still learning about this engine.
Mine seems to burn it off until it's down to about the level I've got it at now, which is pretty much exactly where it needs to be. Then it stays right there until I get it changed again. I bet I don't burn much if any between now and my next oil change if I'm correct in my observations over the last 20k miles.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Mine was showing just above the top hole when I had it changed. It is now between the top and bottom hole, just in the middle. I would guess it ate about a quart. That is over the last 7,000 miles, and multiple drag strip trips. I consider that good. It ate 3 quarts in the first 6700 miles.

Mike
Mine ate 2 quarts pretty fast during break in, but then it stopped. I don't think it burns any more than what's normal now, and I mean normal as in not much at all like most cars, not a quart every 1k miles or whatever Ford says is normal for this car.

Do you think it's possible to get every last drop of oil out when you drain it? If not, do you think it's possible that there could still be a little left? If so, maybe 8 quarts plus that little bit is really more like 8.5 quarts, and that's why it reads a little over full after a change?

I hope my theory works out in my favor, because that would be a pretty easy fix...

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
Then maybe YOU should do a little research and get up to date on things. We are past where you were at when you had the tune.

-Ant
Alright, this is getting progressively childish. I am waiting for the part where you start calling me a pee-pee head.

Childish banter aside, how exactly am I so out to date on things? Is the ping issue resolved? No. Does anyone have specific, definitive information that explains exactly why it is happening? No. The only major change I have seen recently is FR's warranty coverage.

The only thing that has changed is the number of people that have been noticing the ping as more people have bought and installed the tune since I purchased it a while back. Don't assume that I have not been keeping up with the threads on the issue just because I have not posted all the time.

Please feel free to educate me on what significant progress has been made since the ancient days of when I had this tune last year...oh wait, you don't engage in sharing info on the forum with other people so why don't you PM me instead so it is off the record...

Instead of whining about getting "negative" responses in the past due to your posts, why not try to actually share something useful or help people and you might get more respect.

Damnit, I woke up this morning telling myself I wasn't going to feed a troll *facepalm*

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You don't even own a procal anymore, and you are calling me a troll? You can feed yourself from here on in. You are the only person trolling this thread. But thanks for the entertainment, you helped my day pass.

I'll answer the people who actually need help.

Apprentice

For the record, I've tried every prescribed method of "fixing" the ping and I still have it (relearn, computer reset, reflash, octane boost, different gas, no ethanol-more expensive premium, oct adj set to y, and other tries). May actually be a little worse than when it first started. Thing I find weird is that it ran fine for about a month and then wammo - ping started. Makes me think something mechanical has happened, since I've reset every computer/software issue back to pretune config, but it's back as soon as the tune is reloaded.

Anyway, this is just for the record. I am not upset with FR, just a bit perplexed and dissapointed that it doesn't work better.

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
GT Member

Quote:
You don't even own a procal anymore, and you are calling me a troll? You can feed yourself from here on in. You are the only person trolling this thread. But thanks for the entertainment, you helped my day pass.

I'll answer the people who actually need help.
I've had the procal on long enough to be able to share my experiences and contacted FR numerous times as well. If you sell your mustang do you relinquish all knowledge you acquired during ownership? Nice logic.

Also, I think I have more credibility being in this thread since I was one of the first ones to experience the ping and attempt to get to the bottom of it. All of your posts are proclaiming how perfect your car runs with it. Read the title again, this is a thread about ping...and you (and your ping free car) are here to help HOW exactly??? Hmm..

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe/Brembos/3.73

"I'm also 6'5" and 270 lbs. and could crush a person's bones with my bare hands"
-Jozsefsz

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I don't post cause I receive negativity for trying to help others. So I help people in my own way, and stay out of bs like this, with uninformed people telling me to do research. Lol

-Ant
I don't think there is any negativity when someone is trying to help someone else, at one time or another we will all have someone correct us on something (nobody's perfect), after all , except a very few here, we're not professionals, so you can't expect everyone's to be correct about everything and take their word for granted...

Have it your own way, I just think PMs are a waste, if everyone was doing it, this forum like many others would be dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adspru View Post
Not here to add any fuel to any fire. But I experienced the infamous FRPP(procal) pinging with my SCT when I tried using the canned tune from SCT instead of the BAMA tune. I did post this somewhere(in a FRPP pinging thread) right when it happened, but nobody seemed to give a rats arse, and still may not. Funny thing is, I don't give a rats arse either, just sharing, because that is what the forum is for...
FYI, the reason maybe no one gives a "rats arse" about your case is because you're posting it on a FRPP Tune thread, and this is what we're interested about here. No one here has a SCT or BAMA tune, and if they did, they would go on the SCT & BAMA threads! What is the point to go on a thread that doesn't speak about what you're speaking?? You had the ping with the SCT? Sorry to hear that, but this as nothing to do with the FRPP Tune and won't solve the problem some have with this tune. These are 2 different tunes, from 2 different companies!

If I want to find informations about some Ford Racing stuff, I'm not gonna research that in a thread that speaks about Roush Performance parts... It's obvious isn't it? ...
Personally I am not interested at all about SCT & BAMA products and this is why I'm here, reading and posting on a FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PACKAGE thread, as I have this tune in my Mustang. Get it? I hope so, otherwise I can't do anything for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-15 HBAR View Post
It seems that at least the code for certain things such as the oil life monitor is kept seperately. Otherwise, my oil life monitor would be back to counting down to 0% oil life left every 5k miles like it did before. When I just got my oil changed after 5k miles, it still showed almost 50% left.

So, putting the ProCal back on didn't overwrite or change that part for me. It's still fixed, and it wasn't when I was running the ProCal before I had the TSB done. Doesn't surprise me, as the regular Joe's who answer the phone at FRPP and at least half of the people I've spoken to at dealerships have given me incorrect or conflicting info more than a couple of times. All it takes to get the wrong info is for the person giving it to you to be wrong. I've learned to take everything with a grain of salt, no matter what the source.
Well, I will see for mine, I haven't done the new TSB for the oil life monitor, so I will see where I am after another 5000 miles, or even before; when I'll get another 2500 miles, if the monitor tells me that I have 50% left before changing oil, that will mean that the TSB was not in the ProCal either. But for now, I'm going with what my dealership and Ford Racing said to me. I'll keep you posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Kona5.0 View Post
For the record, I've tried every prescribed method of "fixing" the ping and I still have it (relearn, computer reset, reflash, octane boost, different gas, no ethanol-more expensive premium, oct adj set to y, and other tries). May actually be a little worse than when it first started. Thing I find weird is that it ran fine for about a month and then wammo - ping started. Makes me think something mechanical has happened, since I've reset every computer/software issue back to pretune config, but it's back as soon as the tune is reloaded.

Anyway, this is just for the record. I am not upset with FR, just a bit perplexed and dissapointed that it doesn't work better.
Well that's kind of scary, hopefully in a month or more, I won't have it coming at me either... I've only had the tune for 8 days...
So do you still have it (as I see it in your signature) or you took it off?

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Apprentice

Quote:
Well that's kind of scary, hopefully in a month or more, I won't have it coming at me either... I've only had the tune for 8 days...
So do you still have it (as I see it in your signature) or you took it off?
I still have it - ran it at Rd Atlanta with Oct Adj set to Y with a bottle of Lucas octane adjust. Ran strong - was hitting the same top speed or better as a 01 Z06. I have noticed it appears to be very inconsistent in severity, but almost always there.

I hope you don't develop it - and as been pointed out, many never have the issue

I'm not overly concerned about it. I had an independant mechanic that is a Ford fanatic (he has both an original and new Boss 302) take a good look/listen and he told me not to worry about it.

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Kona5.0 View Post
I still have it - ran it at Rd Atlanta with Oct Adj set to Y with a bottle of Lucas octane adjust. Ran strong - was hitting the same top speed or better as a 01 Z06. I have noticed it appears to be very inconsistent in severity, but almost always there.

I hope you don't develop it - and as been pointed out, many never have the issue

I'm not overly concerned about it. I had an independant mechanic that is a Ford fanatic (he has both an original and new Boss 302) take a good look/listen and he told me not to worry about it.
Thanks, and that's encouraging, but did he told you why you shouldn't worry about it?

GT Member

Quote:
I'm not overly concerned about it. I had an independant mechanic that is a Ford fanatic (he has both an original and new Boss 302) take a good look/listen and he told me not to worry about it
So inyour mechanic's opinion this type of ping harmless?

I know it's pretty warm down there in Charleston. Do you have ping when it's under 60 degrees out or below when set on Y?
My father has none at this temp set on Y.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page