Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread. - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: Have you experienced PING with the FRPP Pro-Cal?
Yes, I have experienced it. 24 24.24%
No, I have never experienced it. 61 61.62%
I experienced it, but cured it with octane adjust or different gas 5 5.05%
I experienced it, could not cure it and either ignore it, or went to a different tune/stock 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Official FRPP Pro-Cal PING thread.

I am posting up this thread and poll to see who has the FRPP Pro-Cal installed, and to find out if you have experienced PINGING, under what conditions and if you have been able to remedy it in any way.

I have the Pro-Cal and have been experiencing ping. I am trying various gas stations to see if I can find a fill that will help. I was favoring Shell, but then I read that Shell uses additives that can cause ping.

Right now I have a tank half full of Shell 93 and half of Conoco 93 from a station that advertises no Ethanol mixed in any of their grades.

I also added a bottle of NOS octane booster after reading that it is one of the few snakeoil in a can boosters that actually has shown results. So far, I have not been able to produce ping on the octane adjust enabled setting. With it disabled, I have.

Also, does anyone know precisely what the octane adjust setting does? Is it a global reduction in timing, or is it like the stock tune, which can detect and adjust for octane level? I am going back to the track and I want maximum power, so I want to disable it for my next runs.

Thanks,

Mike

2012 Mustang GT M6, tuned by AED. 11.79 @ 116.26 with 3.31 gears.

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

I have experienced what I think might be a light pinging at 4500+ full throttle, but I haven't tried anything to cure it yet. Didn't know that Shell might be an issue and that is what I have used (93 octane, so I assumed it was good with a margin since tune states 91+). If I notice much more I plan to go to Octane Adjust = yes, but wasnt sure how much impact that has on the tune. Will try some Exxon 93 this afternoon.

Otherwise tune works exactly as advertised, so I'm reluctant to make a change.

will read other responses to see others experience

2012 GT Premium - Kona Blue, 3.73, 19" Brembo Wheels / Brembo Brakes / Ford Racing Tune / Boss 302 Suspension
Infinity 6832cf Speaker Upgrade (wow)
Past Stangs: 84 GT Turbo, 89 5.0 LX, 91 GT vert, 95 GT, 99 V6, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra vert
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I haven't experienced it yet. Been running the tune for about 6 weeks now. I only use Sunoco 93 in my car. Besides running ****** when cold for the first 10 minutes or so I have no complaints about the tune. I blow the back wheels out with the tc on...

I've never plugged in the tuner so I don't know if my octane adjust is set at ''yes''. Do I just plug it in with the key on and scroll through the options like a normal tuner? I went to a slightly smaller diameter tire and I'd like to adjust for that also.

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

I am looking into purchasing this tuner due to factory warranty concerns and am very concerned about pinging. This shouldnt be happening IMO from a FoMoCo tune!

I did not vote in the poll since I dont have it yet, but am very interested in what everyone has to say...
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mine has had mild ping when run hard since the day I installed the Procal tune. I set to octane adjust - yes immediately. No change. I use only 93 octane from major companies. None make any difference. FRPP says this is normal and expected. They say run the @#$% out of it. Can do. VERY happy with the difference in the car with the tune. Mine is a 6R80 auto.

2012 GT premium 6r80 Kona Blue with Saddle interior : Magnacharged, 3.55s, BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S 255/45-18, GT500 axlebacks, Saleen grill, CS lower valance, SLP trunk panel, MRT adjustable head restraints, BOSS oil cooler, BOSS brakes lines, C-Max ceramics for street and SP Performance Street Plus pads for light track duty, NAPA 5.1 brake fluid, BMR springs, LCA relocation brackets, panhard bar, Steeda ProAction shocks and struts. GT500 strut mounts, other small mods. Daily Driver.
post #6 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I am convinced the ping is there because this is a CARB certified tune and there are emissions issues. I would love to see what my A/F ratio looks like when I am hearing ping.

Mike

<------------ Click Under New Orleans for my YouTube videos. Tons of exhaust and drag racing vids with my 2012 GT.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Is it possible for any of you experiencing the ping to record it and post the recording so we can all be clear were talking about the same ping since this is the official thread???

My poll choice was yes I've heard it since there was not a Yes I've heard it and it seems to have gone away selection.

About the first cpl/few weeks after having the tune installed I noticed occasionally I would hear the ping during the first startup of the car for the day. It would hang around for a few seconds and then go away.

15 F22 M235i, JB4 Stage II, Cat delete, CAI
12 GT Prem 5.0 (Sold)
post #8 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
Is it possible for any of you experiencing the ping to record it and post the recording so we can all be clear were talking about the same ping since this is the official thread???

My poll choice was yes I've heard it since there was not a Yes I've heard it and it seems to have gone away selection.

About the first cpl/few weeks after having the tune installed I noticed occasionally I would hear the ping during the first startup of the car for the day. It would hang around for a few seconds and then go away.
Ping is not associated with startup. You will experience ping when the car is under load and accelerating. It will be a sound akin to tinkling glass. With the Pro-Cal it will come and go very quickly as the knock sensors do their thing and pull back timing. Most ping I experience is gone in a nanosecond, but I hear it. I did hear a much longer duration of ping yesterday when I spun in second and then bogged it in third. The octane adjust was turned off and it was the worst ping I had experienced yet.

Mike

PONY Member

There was a thread on this last year. Here's a post from it:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...28-post37.html

Basically, the answer is "yeah, they do that". I have the FRPP tune and I've set "Octane Adjust" to "on" and mine doesn't ping on Shell 91 or on Chevron 94.

2014 GT500
post #10 of 249 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ5Point0 View Post
There was a thread on this last year. Here's a post from it:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...28-post37.html

Basically, the answer is "yeah, they do that". I have the FRPP tune and I've set "Octane Adjust" to "on" and mine doesn't ping on Shell 91 or on Chevron 94.
I have read that. I was just curious as to how many people have experienced it, and if so who has overcome it.

I am also wondering if anyone found out if setting the octane adjust to Yes is a global reduction in timing, or if it is more akin to the stock ECU's monitoring of octane levels and adjusting.

I don't get 94 from Chevron around here. The highest I can get is 93, and I am still pinging on certain 93, even with the octane adjust enabled.

Mike

PONY Member

I haven't picked a response on your poll yet. It pinged when I installed the FRPP tune the first time (with Octane Adjust "off") and then I installed a Boss 302 manifold with a different tune altogether. Later, I reverted to the stock manifold, installed the FRPP tune with Octane Adjust "on" and it hasn't pinged since. In other words, I fixed it, but I don't know how it happened.

2014 GT500
PONY Member

Im subscribed, I really want the Ford tune but all this talk about pinging makes me nervous.

Ex Ford tech for 17 years, 1987 Mustang GT project car. 2010 Flex with Ecoboost
Apprentice

I first loaded the FRPP tune around 5/11, after my first oil change at 5000 miles. It ran perfectly with octane adjust set to N and totally kicked ass for a couple of months, until I went on a 1400 mile trip.

Don't know if I got a bad tank of gas on the way back or what, but it started doing it pretty bad after that...bad like bad for your engine bad, not anything slight or "normal". It was also summer by then with temps in the high 90's.

It was all downhill from there. It has always pinged ever since. Setting octane adjust to Y helps, but not enough. The only thing that seems to help is cold weather, and I suspect race gas although I haven't tried that yet.

I went back to the stock tune for a while, tried it again once it started getting cold, and went back to stock again. Then I went and had a TSB done for the oil life monitor, which required a reflash with the latest release from Ford. It ran better stock than ever after that, so I drove it for a good while like that, but eventually I decided to try the FRPP tune again.

It ran great with octane adjust set to N for a while, probably better than before, then eventually started pinging again. I've been having pretty good luck after setting octane adjust to Y this time around though. I've only heard it a tiny bit a couple of times so far. I'll know better after a few more weeks, but I won't be surprised if it becomes unusable again come summer time in Hotlanta.

I feel like it does lose a little of the edge when setting octane adjust to Y, but I'm no dyno.

2011 GT Coupe Premium / MT82 / 3.31 / Brembo
Red Candy Metallic / Charcoal Black / 400A
Comfort / Security / HID Headlamps
FRPP M-FR1-MGTB Power Upgrade Package
GT Member

Dammit I'm just gonna leave my stang stock for a couple years until I'm ready for a charger.Earlier today I was all about buying this next month but dammit dammit dammit guess ill just have to live with exhaust and a cold air kit

Blower and stuff

622 whp and 545 wtq @ 8.5psi
AED Tune = Best mod of all
Apprentice

My curiosity about this drives me nuts. A ford racing tuen that produces 7 more hp, but apparently loads of torque under the curve pings. A tune from bama that produces at least 30 RWHP produces no ping... This makes me wonder. Why would ford racing have a tune out that is way behind and aftermarket in terms of power gained and the tune and is bad for your motor. I mean I know it's a slight ping but you should have no ping. Imagine if Bama or Lund had a tune out and they said yeah ping is normal there. They'd be out of business.

Last edited by DKJR; 01-16-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page