Dynotech alum 16 9.30%
Other 17 9.88%
Don't waste your cash 42 24.42%
Carbon or nothing 29 16.86%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

can't remember where but just google about driveshafts for 11-13 Mustang 5.0. I am sure you'll find the post at some forum with comments from the Ford engineer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by by9468840 View Post
can't remember where but just google about driveshafts for 11-13 Mustang 5.0. I am sure you'll find the post at some forum with comments from the Ford engineer.
No offense but Ford engineers arent God. I have met a few that worked on older Ford Mustangs and wasn't impressed. Ford buys parts for price...quality comes second. I worked for years supplying them with parts for their vehicles (on the quality side) and cant begin to tell you the kind of crap they will put on a car.

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Funny, the engineer I dealt with told me he thought the dss shaft I have was a good piece. Didnt give me one slice of grief for it...

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Shaftmasters aluminum here . Yes, worth it. whoops,said that already, sorry.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

After I heard the common 'clunk', I knew the stock shaft had to go. DSS alum, very high quality piece. One thing I found that was interesting was the dreaded rear axle/pinion gear whine @ 70mph. This common issue reported by many owners with 3:73 gears is also present on my Boss. The sound is still there after the shaft swap, but the pitch of the gear whine is higher. Still debating on taking it back to the dealer.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
After I heard the common 'clunk', I knew the stock shaft had to go. DSS alum, very high quality piece. One thing I found that was interesting was the dreaded rear axle/pinion gear whine @ 70mph. This common issue reported by many owners with 3:73 gears is also present on my Boss. The sound is still there after the shaft swap, but the pitch of the gear whine is higher. Still debating on taking it back to the dealer.
I had the 70 mph whine too. New ring/pinion and resetting backlash from the original .012" to .010" took care of it. However, I now have a slight whine from 50-40 mph. Don't think I will worry about it at this time though.
GT Member

Quote:
The stock shaft was also designed as part of the entire system and according to safety requirements. For example he mentioned that non of the aftermarket DS manufacturers actually ever tested their shaft's behaviour in an accident whereby stock shaft is tested against it's safety and durability at official crash tests. It's movement and even failure points are known and hence the system is designed to compensate for it's failure pattern.
This is actually an excellent comment. I think your on to something here.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
This is actually an excellent comment. I think your on to something here.
Nope, he isn't. The stock shaft has nothing to do with safety requirements. Its was done explicitly for cost vs. nvh. And that is straight from an engineer...

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
the thing I like the most is all of the clunks gone from the stock shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace72ace View Post
After I heard the common 'clunk', I knew the stock shaft had to go. DSS alum, very high quality piece. .
bring this back up a bit.
I have a '14 GT track pack with a dreaded 'clunk' or 'thump'. It happens mostly when i shift into 2nd or 3rd while the clutch is fully disengaged and at light or no throttle. I can replicate it at a stop too as long as the brakes aren't applied and I shift into 1,2, or 3. If the brakes are applied there is no thump/clunk. it consistently seems to be coming from the mid to back half of the car and not the transmission exactly. nor do I feel it in the shifter.

Is this the clunk most people refer to as being part of the 2-piece shaft issue?

will a DSS aluminum shaft fix this? If so, I'd be ecstatic. this thump is driving me insane. I'm taking it to the dealer in a week or so but I have doubts on their response.

Last edited by y5e06; 08-14-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: w
PONY Member

I had a Dynotech one piece aluminum put on with my build.

The odd clunk sound from the rear end is gone.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

PONY Member

Quote:
I am personally staying away from a DS upgrade after reading some detailed comments from a Ford engineer on aftermarket DS.

The reason they installed a two piece shaft is to fight against any possible vibration at and beyond max speed. The stock shaft was also designed as part of the entire system and according to safety requirements. For example he mentioned that non of the aftermarket DS manufacturers actually ever tested their shaft's behaviour in an accident whereby stock shaft is tested against it's safety and durability at official crash tests. It's movement and even failure points are known and hence the system is designed to compensate for it's failure pattern.

I know Ford use 1 piece CF shaft in the new GT500 but again this one doesnt have any glued weight balancers and is again probably tested for 100s maybe 1000s of hours. I guess they did not opt for Alu shaft due to CF capability to absorb energy and probably because it actually literally into small fibers if it fails.

so aftermarket Alu DS; lack of testing for safety combined with it's PITA work needed to align (need adjustable UCA, pinion check etc) was eventually a no go for me. I was also worried about it's structural rigidty and failure pattern. It is a scary thing to imagine a piece of it breaking loose and penetrating through the cabin.!

Aftermarket CF shaft; i am not comfortable with the fact that weight balancers are glued and there is a max operating temperature spec on the shaft. Now, i dont think 13 GT500 user manual warns drivers to watch out for their shaft temperature right? so i wasnt comfortable installing one and constantly worrying on a hot summer track day! So i ended up skipping the aftermarket CF option too. Maybe i will reconsider if FRPP one day releases one for 11-13 GT.

I drove my car over 150mph for long distances several times on German autobahn. These were not a 1 mile sprint or something! but atleast 15-20 minutes long multiple high speed cruising doing between 120-155mph. the stock shaft prooved to be a reliable strong piece with no vibration issues and i completely trust it.

I decided not to mess with it just for sake of leaning a few pounds off of the car. Most of the clunk issues are anyway caused by the weak axle control arms but not the shaft itself.

so I'd recommend thinking twice before throwing away your two piece oem shaft.
You could almost say that about any aftermarket part ... none of them were included in crash tests. Sure, some it wouldn't matter ... but some it possibly could.
Banned
S197 Member

dss for almost a year now. 0-125mph...no problem......6500 rpm 1st gear clutch engagement no problem........
better acceleration? better gas mileage? no problem.
I read and I read and I read too.
Banned
S197 Member

the "stock shaft"; wa sused because fomoco built 1000's of them and had htem in the warehouse with no where to go. For cost they ended up in Mustangs.
Factory 2-piece ds's are junk and we all know it.
LOL safety.
dont own or drive the care if you do it for safety.
LOL
Life and safety...lol
PONY Member
4.6L Member

My 2014 with 300 klms on it clunks as well, and yes its the driveshaft. I am taking it back to the dealer Monday morning, so in other words I think an Dss is going on the mod list ,

2014 GT Track Pack. JLT CAI. 94 dyno Tune,MBRP street catback, LCA, PHB, Springs.

Last edited by Jimmy Toronto; 08-17-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: ?
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I still get lots of clunks. But it is my shifting ability, or lack of it, that causes it. For car nuts like me, the aluminum driveshaft swap was worth it simply because I know it is there.

2011 GT. Grabber Blue. Procharged. 3:73 manual.Billit LCA's. Corsa Extremes. GT 500 wheels. Racemaster DR's. T-56 Tremec. Dynotech DS . Centerforce DF. American Racing headers/high flow cats 560 rwhp.Donny Walsh tuned

2012 Pony Package. Race Red.3:31 automatic.BBK longtubes and catted X.FRPP Sport axlebacks. BBK throttle body. Dynotech DS. Brembo wheels and tires. Strut tower brace. Airraid CAI. Bama tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page