Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Rotational weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazroth View Post
O Every little thing will add up, and overall make for a much better ride, especially when removing rotational weight.
I do not wish offend anyone, but here is what I do not understand.

The lighter weight aluminum driveshafts are promoted as a way to reduce inertia so as to allow the driveshaft to get spinning quicker to allow faster take-offs.

But, ... you do not spin a drive shaft in isolation. A driveshaft is engaged with the differential so you are also pushing the approximate 3500 pound weight of the car while you are spinning the drive shaft.

When you consider the inertia of the car as a whole, why does the individual inertia of the driveshaft matter? I read where people say that they get quicker response with their aluminum driveshafts. The aluminum driveshaft does reduce overall weight by maybe 13 pounds compared to stock, but would that really make a humanly-perceptible difference in performance? That is the same weight difference as having two less gallons of gasoline in your tank.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".

Last edited by ew1usnr; 02-27-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

+ You run the risk of a vibration problem,I will keep my 2 piece Ford drive shaft,to me it is just not worth it.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I hate the annoying clunk of the stock setup, it's really bad on the wife's car. IF the DSS solution can fix the clunking without vibrations, it would be worth the $ for me. Luckley I live about 30 miles from DSS so I will eventually end up going to their shop and investigating. If I were to buy one and end up with vibrations, they could drive the car and possibly help work out any issues. They are very nice and accomadating according to the local Mustang motor-heads. So being local, it's probably a worth while move for me down the road. I'm not concerned about, nor do I expect any performance enhancements (except the possibility of reducing the clunk). If I had to do this by way of shipping, I probably wouldn't consider it.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I hate the annoying clunk of the stock setup, it's really bad on the wife's car. IF the DSS solution can fix the clunking without vibrations, it would be worth the $ for me. Luckley I live about 30 miles from DSS so I will eventually end up going to their shop and investigating. If I were to buy one and end up with vibrations, they could drive the car and possibly help work out any issues. They are very nice and accomadating according to the local Mustang motor-heads. So being local, it's probably a worth while move for me down the road. I'm not concerned about, nor do I expect any performance enhancements (except the possibility of reducing the clunk). If I had to do this by way of shipping, I probably wouldn't consider it.
That's great that you are right down the road from DSS. They were great in helping me with mine and it was all over the phone. It's always better going into something with no, or realistic, expectations but I'm confident you'll gain rear wheel HP (which you probably won't notice seat-of-the-pants wise) and the car will spin up faster (which you should notice, at least I did on mine). I'm very happy with my DSS aluminum.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02_GT_5spd View Post
That's great that you are right down the road from DSS. They were great in helping me with mine and it was all over the phone. It's always better going into something with no, or realistic, expectations but I'm confident you'll gain rear wheel HP (which you probably won't notice seat-of-the-pants wise) and the car will spin up faster (which you should notice, at least I did on mine). I'm very happy with my DSS aluminum.
Did this do anything to reduce the clunking?

GT Member

I have no clunking noise with my OEM or my DSS Aluminum shaft. However I do hear a high pitched click or tinging sound toward the back of the car (Similar to a bad u-joint but that shaft has CV joint at rear) sometimes when I change from going forward to backward. Maybe the opposite also. Just kind of got used to it and ignore listening for the sound. Been that way almost from the beginning after install if I remember correctly. I don't believe anything is wrong and the sound has not changed after 3 track events and a lot of launches at the dragstrip with drag radials.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Both of my 14's clunk loudly unles VERY CAREFULLY manipulating the gas (for rpm range) & clutch pedals. The wife's car has been doing it since day 1. Mine just started doing the same at 8k miles. It sounds like very loose u-joint bolts (of course that's not the problem). Serious driveline slop.

PONY Member

This guy says the 2 piece shaft causes the CLUNK......watch this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYjbPP78x0
GT Member

I got rid of 90% of the clunk with Saftmasters. They were great and a good price. If your timing clutch and throttle perfect the clunk can be minimized. Sooner or later though a non perfect shift would happen and the clunk appears. I planned on keeping the car a long time so it was worth it to me.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Why did this thread pop up to the top all of a sudden?

I have been wondering about some of the strange resurrections of old threads lately . . . I guessed that maybe people had searched and found the old threads, then replied to them . . . now I can tell you for sure, I did NOT search out and reply to this thread, where the last previous post was from 2016 . . . rather I saw it right at the top of the list, looking like a fresh thread with new reply.

weird . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member

I have seen several strange things on this as well. It has been happening for the last 3 weeks. I thought about a cache problem and cleared but it did not help anything.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
PONY Member

My guess is someone probably did a search on drive shafts and this survey came up and they only put their vote in but didn't submit a reply.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in