FRPP Tune Installed! - Page 9 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Those explaining the ping sound like broken glass or forks..
Is it like the sound in the video I posted above or something else?

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Sounds like you can live with that tune after all Saunupe1911, no?
:nogrinner As I've said before, the tune is almost perfect.

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
:nogrinner As I've said before, the tune is almost perfect.
Ok, I think I'm gonna do it then, and cross fingers... I'll stop today or tomorrow by my Ford dealership and see what they say about it.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
Those explaining the ping sound like broken glass or forks..
Is it like the sound in the video I posted above or something else?
It's close in concept, but its nowhere near that loud or harsh. Also the sound seems to come from the back of the engine...just my 2 cents I could be wrong. Most importantly, I haven't experienced any negative performance during the ping. No jerks or akward shifts. It just a strong linear pull. Just hate the sound though

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
post #125 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm gonna do it then, and cross fingers... I'll stop today or tomorrow by my Ford dealership and see what they say about it.
I knew you'd finally come around. You'll love it! This tune compliments the 3.31's nicely.

2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
post #126 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
It's close in concept, but its nowhere near that loud or harsh. Also the sound seems to come from the back of the engine...just my 2 cents I could be wrong. Most importantly, I haven't experienced any negative performance during the ping. No jerks or akward shifts. It just a strong linear pull. Just hate the sound though
Just drown it out with the radio

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
PONY Member

Quote:
Just drown it out with the radio
I do but I'm paranoid now.

Apprentice

I've had the FRPP tune for 500 miles now. No ping.. but then I am at 5300 ft. The best part is the elimination of rev hang. I can punch the perfect downshift now! (my 2000 mustang had that line in its brochure.. punch the perfect downshift..). Removing the skip shift is worth it too. I don't feel a whole bunch more power.. but my bro who was riding in the passenger seat said he couldn't breathe when I gunned it. I recommend this tune!

2012 Black GT. Manual with no options. Mods: FRPP Tune, JLT Oil Separator.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

how come the frpp tune makes so much more power than the other tunes? Is it something with the timing or cams? I would think the other tuners would be able to replicate it. They frpp tune seems to get good feedback to the low end vs others. Were others tunes seem to do better higher end.

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 California Special
Convertible Auto
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

A few questions for you guys:

1) In order for the warranty to work the install can be done in any Ford dealer or it has to be a Ford dealership who is in the directory of Ford Racing? ( some dealers are listed on the Ford Racing website...)
2) Went to the local Dealership where I live now, and it's a small one. They said they've done the tune on a 2012 Boss; I wonder if I should do it there or drive some more and get a bigger dealership to do it?
I could go where I bought my Mustang, but for some reasons I don't trust them with aftermarket parts... When they got my GT500 mufflers on, I had to go back as there were some funny noises. (They fixed it, but still, they could have get it right the first time...)
3) Do the sound of the exhaust get louder or change with the tune, I think I've read some posts where some said their exhaust got louder...

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
post #131 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:

1) In order for the warranty to work the install can be done in any Ford dealer or it has to be a Ford dealership who is in the directory of Ford Racing? ( some dealers are listed on the Ford Racing website...)
2) Went to the local Dealership where I live now, and it's a small one. They said they've done the tune on a 2012 Boss; I wonder if I should do it there or drive some more and get a bigger dealership to do it?
I could go where I bought my Mustang, but for some reasons I don't trust them with aftermarket parts... When they got my GT500 mufflers on, I had to go back as there were some funny noises. (They fixed it, but still, they could have get it right the first time...)
3) Do the sound of the exhaust get louder or change with the tune, I think I've read some posts where some said their exhaust got louder...
I actually went to a Ford Racing dealer but Iv'e never read or heard anywhere that it has to be.
The guy installing mine had this tuner on his 5.0 too. Just go to a dealer that is familiar with installing it. If they seem clueless about it go somewhere else.
Exhaust sounds the same to me...

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
post #132 of 295 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
I've had the FRPP tune for 500 miles now. No ping.. but then I am at 5300 ft. The best part is the elimination of rev hang. I can punch the perfect downshift now! (my 2000 mustang had that line in its brochure.. punch the perfect downshift..). Removing the skip shift is worth it too. I don't feel a whole bunch more power.. but my bro who was riding in the passenger seat said he couldn't breathe when I gunned it. I recommend this tune!
Interesting you say you don't feel it much. You are in the minority unless it's an automatic which in that case I didn't feel much of a difference either. I'd be super pissed if it didn't make much of a difference and it pinged!!
I personally felt a huge difference in power . Not only can I feel more power, its faster too. When I pass cars I now squirt by them at a noticeably faster rate 1st-4th gear compared to stock.
Maybe this has something to do with your 5300 ft altitude and or your expectations?

2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
Apprentice

Quote:
Interesting you say you don't feel it much. You are in the minority unless it's an automatic which in that case I didn't feel much of a difference either. I'd be super pissed if it didn't make much of a difference and it pinged!!
I personally felt a huge difference in power . Not only can I feel more power, its faster too. When I pass cars I now squirt by them at a noticeably faster rate 1st-4th gear compared to stock.
Maybe this has something to do with your 5300 ft altitude and or your expectations?
I don't have a well calibrated butt-dyno. The car was stupid fast before the tune and its stupid fast now. The power band is just smoother and more eager everywhere. I totally recommend this tune!

2012 Black GT. Manual with no options. Mods: FRPP Tune, JLT Oil Separator.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

take it to any ford dealer, mine isn't a ford racing dealer, and everything is good here. Exhaust doesn't change, but the car being more aggressive and snappier gives that illusion.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
GT Member

I'm rolling the dice, too, folks. This tune has always sounded like it'll give me what I want:

No skipshift
No rev hang
No mildy disconnected feel from the e-throttle
better torque off the bottom

I don't really care if it adds even 1 actual "horsepower" (there's plenty already); it's about the sensation/satisfaction when driving for me.

Little things can mean alot with this. A Steeda shifter mount + BG Synchroshift and an eight-ball shifter transformed shifting behaviour now, I'm going at the gas pedal with this, a bit.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page