Just Ordered My FRPP Procal - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
DW Burnett's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 627
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
I just had the FRPP Power Pack installed. The ProCal's boost in low-end torque is really noticeable with the 3.31 gears. And those GT500 mufflers are just sweetness. They have a nice growl without being obnoxiously loud. A blip of the throttle gives a nice "snarl". I think my money was well spent.
That's great to hear dude, congrats on your upgrades.

I am really looked forward to feeling the Procal difference. I already have the GT500s on the car, I love them. I just drove home with the windows down (probably looked like I was insane, it's in the '40s tonight) just to hear the sound reflect off of parked cars. It was the best sound I heard all day.


2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
DW Burnett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Asphalt Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 6,960
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
I just had the FRPP Power Pack installed. The ProCal's boost in low-end torque is really noticeable with the 3.31 gears. And those GT500 mufflers are just sweetness. They have a nice growl without being obnoxiously loud. A blip of the throttle gives a nice "snarl". I think my money was well spent.
Congrats and glad you like that whole package, it sure is one of the best, if not the best...
Let us know if you have any issues (ping sound) how the mpg? Some said it even gets better with the tune...



2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
Asphalt Cowboy is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Congrats and glad you like that whole package, it sure is one of the best, if not the best...
Let us know if you have any issues (ping sound) how the mpg? Some said it even gets better with the tune...
I didn't get this tune for mpg but I have noticed it's a little better since the tune has been installed.


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
 
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy View Post
Ford Racing also said to me, over the phone, that you can return it and get your money back if you're not happy with it... Contact them here: 1-800-367-3788.
I'd say once the tune is loaded your better off keeping it. If you return it you lose the Ford Racing warranty. If you have a problem the dealer could potentially link it to the tune you once had...


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
PONY Member
 
JCTurbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Flemington
Posts: 277
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
If you want a custom tune, then get a custom tune to compensate for your cars inability to follow commanded lambda. And pay custom tune pricing. No way you are gonna get it from a 300 dollar canned tune. Ford racing deemed the ping to be acceptable enough in the small percentage of cars it happens in. They knew it and still released it, even upgrading the warranty to 3/36. What more do you want for 300 bucks???

Arguing the shoulda/woulda/couldas in every single frpp tune thread is stupid. Either buy it and enjoy it, sell it, or don't buy it at all. Ford isn't going to do anything for you...
You're really not making a good point. Why can't his car meet the commanded lambda? That doesnt sound like something that is the buyer's problem. That sounds like a programming or instrumentation issue...in which case it goes back to Ford.

The tune is a canned tune for ALL 2012 mustang GTs. If any 2012 mustang GT with this tune has an issue meeting the fuel curve, that issue needs to be addressed, not ignored...or money refunded.

If the company addressed the issue rather than saying "the pinging is normal" i would say this is probably a great deal ($300 for a performance tune). The fact that they say the pinging is normal but then admit that it doesnt happen on every car, tells me that it's not normal. If it was normal, EVERY 2012 Mustang GT with this tune applied would show the symptoms.

If you get this tune and have no issues, that's great, keep running it as it sound like there are a lot of benefits. If you get this tune and have the ping, remove it and get a refund. That's how i would handle it.

2012 Mustang GT Premium Kona Blue W/ 401A Trim
Electronics PKG, RR Sensing/Security PKG, HIDs PKG, Comfort PKG, Brembo Brake PKG, Glass Roof, Rear Camera
JCTurbo is offline  
PONY Member
 
saunupe1911's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas
Posts: 445
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTurbo View Post
You're really not making a good point. Why can't his car meet the commanded lambda? That doesnt sound like something that is the buyer's problem. That sounds like a programming or instrumentation issue...in which case it goes back to Ford.

The tune is a canned tune for ALL 2012 mustang GTs. If any 2012 mustang GT with this tune has an issue meeting the fuel curve, that issue needs to be addressed, not ignored...or money refunded.

If the company addressed the issue rather than saying "the pinging is normal" i would say this is probably a great deal ($300 for a performance tune). The fact that they say the pinging is normal but then admit that it doesnt happen on every car, tells me that it's not normal. If it was normal, EVERY 2012 Mustang GT with this tune applied would show the symptoms.

If you get this tune and have no issues, that's great, keep running it as it sound like there are a lot of benefits. If you get this tune and have the ping, remove it and get a refund. That's how i would handle it.
I would rather them research/address the issue and send me an adjusted tune than refund. I'm going to call an see where I can get rather than email this go around. Getting a refund may be a hassle but we will see. I could use that extra change, but dang I hate to go back to stock.

2012 Mustang 5.0, Auto, HID headlamps, comfort/security pkg, Front LCA's, Saleen Grill, GT500 rear valence, GT500 mud guards, GT500 mounts, GT500 AB, Eibach Pro/Koni STR.T, BMR Adj. Panhard, JLT Oil Seperator, Lloyds 5.0 Mats/Trunk Mats, StopTech ST40, 245/40/20 (F), 275/35/20 (R), Stock Dyno = 373.9 RWHP / 341.2 TQ, Build Date 06/11
saunupe1911 is offline  
GT Member
 
mallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 1,104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0ben View Post
This has not been my experience.
Both dealers that installed my tune said my original 3/36 and 5/60 are not automatically effected by the FRPP tune. If my car has an issue and it's decided the tune was the cause the FRPP supplemental warranty will kick in up to 3/36 still not voiding my whole original warranty, just the part effected(that part could be big like an engine of course). Now after the 3/36 is where you could potentially run into a hassle depending on the issue you may lose part of your warranty if the Procal was the cause and nothing else to back it up. Both dealers were very friendly about this and one mechanic even had it on his 11' 5.0. The last dealer that installed my Procal told me they've never voided anyone's warranty because of a Procal ever and this goes for pre 2011 stangs as well!
This largest reasons for warranty denials were from evidence of racing(even stock!)and aftermarket tunes.

To the OP,
You will love the tune especially if you have a manual!
What exactly is evidence of racing? Finding a time slip in your glove box?

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!


2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
mallen is offline  
GT Member
 
mallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: salt lake city
Posts: 1,104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
Asphalt Cowboy, I've read your opinions on the subject in a bunch of other threads. I respect where you're coming from but you are really going out of your way on this forum to try and rain on everyone's parade who is going for this tune. If you had the tune and it damaged your engine, caused warranty problems, or really affected your life in any measurable way, I would get it. But you're on the outside looking in. Leave a warning comment on every single Procal thread if you must, but try to let it go.

Also, try to not spread misinformation. This tune does not in anyway cause you to "lose the full warranty" you had. It's just not true.

I had to take a leap of faith just buying the Mustang in the first place after reading all the MT-82 **** storm all over the internet. Eventually I decided, it's what I want, nothing is perfect, DAMN THE TORPEDOS! So far, I'm glad I did.

I disagree. His viewpoint is important and I appreciate having it. He is just making sure people get a realistic impression of it. I remember over on the Genesis Coupe forums. Anyone who suggest that a tune could ever cause problems and was not 100% safe was branded a troll. People came asking the legitimate question of "Is this safe and could it damage my engine or cause me to have expensive repairs not covered by warranty" The response was allways "its 100% safe and cant cause any problems and can never even be detected by Hyundai" which was 100% false.
Its not nearly that bad around here,but there is a bit of that going on. There are some risks and drawbacks with the FRPP tune. The risks are for the most part mitigated by the FRPP warranty which is just an amazing thing in my opinion and also shows their confidence in the product. Still,there are risks. If you lose an engine after the 36k warranty but while still in the powertrain warranty ,they could blame it on the tune and your SOL. The answer is to find a really good dealer that does not play games like that. Still,what if it IS the tunes fault. Then you have a problem.
Hes not saying dont do it. Hes just saying that you should keep that in mind if you do. We hear tons of people going on about how awesome it is,and I have no doubt at all that its just as great as they say. What those true believers don't tell us though is what the potential drawbacks are.
I do have a open question though,has anyone heard of ANYONE who has had to exercise the FRPP warranty to have an engine problem fixed that was blamed on the tune. I wonder how often it happens.
I was warned at the dealership about something to be careful of. He said a customer had a procal and was flashing his car back to stock himself. (it had initially been done at the dealership) The battery went dead halfway through and screwed up the PCM. Ford refused to warranty it because it was the customers fault. He tried to put it through the FRPP powertrain warranty and even went to bat for him and tried to get FRPP to cover it but they refused and he had to pay out of pocket for a new PCM. He said it happened to one of their techs once but Ford recovered it for them by having them send it in. To me that's a total BS,they could have offered to do that for the customer,and charged them some reasonable amount. Instead,they sold him a new PCM,and probably took the old one as a "Core" and did exactly that,then resold it. The moral of the story is,put it on a charger like they do at the dealership when you flash it.

Sometimes, I see cops with their backs turned writing tickets. When I drive by I can see them stick their heads up,and sniff the air,catching a whiff of exhaust and burning rubber,the crimson smell of speed,telling them a Race Red Mustang is somewhere nearby!


2012 Race Red GT, Kenwood Navigation system with Metra dash kit,GT500 steering wheel,Steering wheel buttons INCLUDING BT enabled,Takeoff leather seats with seat heaters.
mallen is offline  
post #39 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
DW Burnett's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 627
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
He is just making sure people get a realistic impression of it.
Exactly why I spoke up. Only someone who has the tune on their car could hope to provide others with a realistic impression of it.

Fortunately, based on other active Procal thread right now it looks like Cowboy is about to pull the trigger, and that's awesome. I truly hope he has no issues and enjoys it. :shiny:

I will hopefully have the tuner in hand this week, and then I'll go down to the dealer. I'll post my impressions here. I'm not a fanboy or a Ford apologist. If the tune doesn't meet my expectations, I won't be afraid to say so.

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
DW Burnett is offline  
post #40 of 296 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012 Thread Starter
PONY Member
 
DW Burnett's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 627
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
I do have a open question though,has anyone heard of ANYONE who has had to exercise the FRPP warranty to have an engine problem fixed that was blamed on the tune. I wonder how often it happens.
That is a good question. And that it also seems to me that there is a lot of smoke and not much fire surrounding this issue, because I haven't read anything, ever about such a warranty claim, and there are a ton of people running this tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
I was warned at the dealership about something to be careful of. He said a customer had a procal and was flashing his car back to stock himself. (it had initially been done at the dealership) The battery went dead halfway through and screwed up the PCM. Ford refused to warranty it because it was the customers fault. He tried to put it through the FRPP powertrain warranty and even went to bat for him and tried to get FRPP to cover it but they refused and he had to pay out of pocket for a new PCM. He said it happened to one of their techs once but Ford recovered it for them by having them send it in. To me that's a total BS,they could have offered to do that for the customer,and charged them some reasonable amount. Instead,they sold him a new PCM,and probably took the old one as a "Core" and did exactly that,then resold it. The moral of the story is,put it on a charger like they do at the dealership when you flash it.
That's good info, thanks. It makes me wonder, when using the tuner to adjust the octane or even tire size, gearing etc., is that considered a "reflash" or is it just changing and saving parameters?

2012 GT Premium - 401A - 6MT - 3.73s - Steeda CAI and Tune - Steeda Q-Series Hood - Forgestar CF5s - SVT Brembo Brakes - BOSS Brake Ducts - MGW Shifter - GT500 Axlebacks - BOSS Side Exit Exhuast - Eibach Prokit Springs - Adjustable Panhard Bar - BOSS Strut Tower Brace
DW Burnett is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
when using the tuner to adjust the octane or even tire size, gearing etc., is that considered a "reflash" or is it just changing and saving parameters?
I don't think so. When you change a setting like this nothing uploads or downloads. It's just a quick little setting change and it's done. Nothing at all like uploading the actual tune where you need to have a fully charged battery and all where bad things can happen.


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Black Dragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bronx
Posts: 372
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW Burnett View Post
That is a good question. And that it also seems to me that there is a lot of smoke and not much fire surrounding this issue, because I haven't read anything, ever about such a warranty claim, and there are a ton of people running this tune.

That's good info, thanks. It makes me wonder, when using the tuner to adjust the octane or even tire size, gearing etc., is that considered a "reflash" or is it just changing and saving parameters?
My tech told me to change the setting if I heard the pinging, so I don't think he would say that if I wasn't allowed to do it.

2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Black Dragon is offline  
GT Member
 
5.0ben's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Towson
Posts: 1,318
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dragon View Post
My tech told me to change the setting if I heard the pinging, so I don't think he would say that if I wasn't allowed to do it.
I forgot to mention this but mine did as well. He even offered to show me how.


2012 5.0 Brembo, AED Performance Tune, Lethal Off-Road X, GT500 AB, 3.73, Airaid cai, GT500 SW :yelpleased:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Mustang GT|GT500 AB |FRPP Tune|6A
2010 Rav4 V6 | 07 Mazdaspeed3| 04 SRT4| 99 GSXR 750
2012 Camaro SS L99 Gone and forgotten
5.0ben is offline  
PONY Member
 
BLK 5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 392
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
I disagree. His viewpoint is important and I appreciate having it. He is just making sure people get a realistic impression of it. I remember over on the Genesis Coupe forums. Anyone who suggest that a tune could ever cause problems and was not 100% safe was branded a troll. People came asking the legitimate question of "Is this safe and could it damage my engine or cause me to have expensive repairs not covered by warranty" The response was allways "its 100% safe and cant cause any problems and can never even be detected by Hyundai" which was 100% false.
Its not nearly that bad around here,but there is a bit of that going on. There are some risks and drawbacks with the FRPP tune. The risks are for the most part mitigated by the FRPP warranty which is just an amazing thing in my opinion and also shows their confidence in the product. Still,there are risks. If you lose an engine after the 36k warranty but while still in the powertrain warranty ,they could blame it on the tune and your SOL. The answer is to find a really good dealer that does not play games like that. Still,what if it IS the tunes fault. Then you have a problem.
Hes not saying dont do it. Hes just saying that you should keep that in mind if you do. We hear tons of people going on about how awesome it is,and I have no doubt at all that its just as great as they say. What those true believers don't tell us though is what the potential drawbacks are.
I do have a open question though,has anyone heard of ANYONE who has had to exercise the FRPP warranty to have an engine problem fixed that was blamed on the tune. I wonder how often it happens.
I was warned at the dealership about something to be careful of. He said a customer had a procal and was flashing his car back to stock himself. (it had initially been done at the dealership) The battery went dead halfway through and screwed up the PCM. Ford refused to warranty it because it was the customers fault. He tried to put it through the FRPP powertrain warranty and even went to bat for him and tried to get FRPP to cover it but they refused and he had to pay out of pocket for a new PCM. He said it happened to one of their techs once but Ford recovered it for them by having them send it in. To me that's a total BS,they could have offered to do that for the customer,and charged them some reasonable amount. Instead,they sold him a new PCM,and probably took the old one as a "Core" and did exactly that,then resold it. The moral of the story is,put it on a charger like they do at the dealership when you flash it.
This is specifically covered in Step 3 under Prepare Your Vehicle in the ProCal II instructions.


Prepare Vehicle:
STEP 3: Make sure your vehicle’s battery is fully charged (at least 12.0 volts) and all accessories (radio, interior
fan, headlights, etc.) are off. If you are unsure if your vehicle’s battery is fully charged, connect a battery
charger prior to beginning the programming process.


CAUTION: If your ProCal II aborts programming due to low voltage or interrupted programming
process, you may be required to have the vehicle towed to an authorized Ford Dealer to
reprogram your PCM back to its original stock calibration.

2011 GT Coupe Premium, Black exterior with Charcoal black turned leather interior. Rapid spec 400A with 6-speed MT, 3.73 limited slip axle, 19" painted aluminum wheels, HID headlamps, comfort package. FRPP tune with K&N air filter. FRPP Touring axle back exhaust with Borla 2 3/4" over axle pipes. ST Suspensions coilovers w/GT500 mounts. Spohn poly/del sphere adjustable lower control arms and Spohn adjustable panhard bar with Steeda panhard bar brace. Hotchkis Sport sway bars.

BLK 5.0 is offline  
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
Black Dragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bronx
Posts: 372
 
When I did it with my tech he put a booster pack on the battery and just said better safe then sorry. Lol


2012 blk/blk gt premium, 400a, brembos, comfort, reverse/security, 3.73's...

Ordered 4/16, vin 6/2, window sticker 6/9, build date 6/16, ETA 6/27, arrived 6/25, picked up 6/29...

mods: magnaflow streets, frpp power pack, mgw shifter, dss driveshaft, s/s clutch/brake lines, steeda rear suspension.
Black Dragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1